Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 11:15 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
To the point where those students who are good at science, math, computers etc. are the nerds, outcast and at the bottom of the social ladder.
I have noticed this anti intellectualism a fair bit in USA based shows and have always wondered whether it was actually true or not. The clique-ish nature of USA high school seems a rather sad reality. Honestly, from what i have read and seen, which is in no way enough, after the lack of a universal healthcare, the education system is probably the second thing i would change about your country. It just feels so foreign and unnecessary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
For women in the US this obsession with sports culture is actually healthy. It boosts morale, discipline and confidence in areas other than beauty.

I played soccer, ran cross country and played waterpolo. This really contributed to my success in college and life in general. I like this aspect of American culture.
Yeah, the fact that there isn't gender discrimination in sports is a positive point. I think the USA probably excel more in that aspect than Western European countries are but i still think choosing to fund overly expensive sports systems over more basic needs is still a negative choice.

Here, there are usually clubs which offer training and coaching at a low price. The largest clubs usually do it without having you spend anything if you are good enough. The youth teams of my city's soccer club is such an example even if it plays in the fifth division and isn't professional. This means that most sports are relatively affordable even for the working class.

Last edited by improb; 08-12-2016 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 11:17 AM

733 posts, read 603,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Yep all we have to do is look at how even in High School the football players are placed on a pedestal(sports players are at the top of the social hierarchy) it's even much more exaggerated in College. It's all about winning and bringing notoriety and cash to the school and city. It seems that learning takes a back seat to sports in the US.
Johnny Manziel gets more attention than any Olympics gold medalist. College football was practically synonymous with school spirit in my school.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:26 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
To the point where those students who are good at science, math, computers etc. are the nerds, outcast and at the bottom of the social ladder.
Not necessarily....if you see the list of American olympians quite a few have degrees in the sciences.

I was into sports and went on to study biochemistry, then international relations/history.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:39 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
I agree 100% in High School anyway there is sometimes a stigma to appearing too smart.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Not necessarily....if you see the list of American olympians quite a few have degrees in the sciences.

I was into sports and went on to study biochemistry, then international relations/history.
There are always exceptions to the rule but overall, what I said stands true.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:40 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I mean, I know we're awesome and all but gold after gold after gold, it gets tiring at some point. Seriously, other countries need to step up, we're winning wrestling, swimming, volleyball, soccer(!!!), gymnastics, and literally everything else. I'm just in awe at how amazing we are, that's all.
Congrats of course, but the US usually does better in the summer Olympics, compared to the Winter Olympics.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:57 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, Antonio Pettigrew, Jerome Young, Tyler Hamilton, Tyson Gay are all indicators the count isn't final until the fat lady sings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_athletics

Oh my! All that awesomeness.

23 athletes competing at Rio Olympics fail London 2012 drugs retest

There may actually be a few amateurs competing who are doing so without massive state sponsorship and the best drug test evasion technology available, and to them I say well done; to the rest I say............ meh; I've lost interest in the phoniest display of level playing field sportsmanship the Olympics has come to be known as.............Like all the other franchised sports out there now, just another greed/profit motivated business.

They who spend the most money, win the most medals is not indicative of anything other than economic might. Awesome!

Now, on the other hand, those guys from Fiji that won the country's first ever medal...... Wayd'da go boys!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:02 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
For women in the US this obsession with sports culture is actually healthy. It boosts morale, discipline and confidence in areas other than beauty.

I played soccer, ran cross country and played waterpolo. This really contributed to my success in college and life in general. I like this aspect of American culture.
^^^ But at what price?
In the US nearly 40 million kids play organized team sports. They practice multiple times a week (sometimes late into the night), weekends, and are a part of stiff competition to win a coveted spot on the local travel team or private club.
Sports takes priority over all else. Kids (AND parents) who don't excel get disappointed and angry.
To keep with the demands placed on the athletes, parents are also enrolling their kids in pricey specialty camps for the summer, and some are taking their kids to sports psychologists to help them keep their emotions under control on the field.
Parents are addicted to watching her children play. They don't provide their kids quality family life. They just rush from practice to games and competitions, and actually live in fear of their kids' coaches, to the point of neglecting their kids' emotional health. They rather cancel appointments for their depressed kids so they wouldn't miss practice, otherwise their coach won't play them....

Last edited by elnina; 08-12-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2016, 12:39 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Congrats of course, but the US usually does better in the summer Olympics, compared to the Winter Olympics.
Actually, the US has stepped its game up in the Winter Olympics. Finished 1st in the medal count in 2010 and 2nd in 2014. Far better than 1994 and 1998.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:51 PM

431 posts, read 521,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You're acting like we don't perform in the winter olympics...
We came in 4th in 2014, 3rd in 2010, and 2nd in 2006....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World