Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 04:09 AM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The guys were dicks for vandalizing a bathroom and then embellishing the story but, technically, if you have an armed private security guard holding you at gunpoint and demanding money before they are allowed to leave - that's called robbery in US.
I would have had no problem if those athletes were arrested at the scene by authorities and the legal process take it's course, but I think they were the victim of a "shake-down".
Of course we don't have the need for armed security guards, or really any security guards, at gas stations in the US.
Yeah, except it wasn't in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,822,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Yeah, except it wasn't in the US.
Of course, thank you Captain Obvious for your enlightening comment.

But on that topic "shake-downs", "baksheesh", police and government corruption, etc. Very common in developing countries like Indonesia actually.

https://www.the-newshub.com/internat...ional-standing

On the other hand the offense here was real, and if they were arrested at the scene no telling what would have happened, if they were any other foreigner other than an Olympic athlete and arrested at the scene they would still be in jail. If I were them I would have payed the bribe to a few underpaid security guards to leave the scene as well. You do NOT want to enter the Brazil criminal justice system.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM

5,781 posts, read 5,082,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Of course, thank you Captain Obvious for your enlightening comment.

But on that topic "shake-downs", "baksheesh", police and government corruption, etc. Very common in developing countries like Indonesia actually.

https://www.the-newshub.com/internat...ional-standing

On the other hand the offense here was real, and if they were arrested at the scene no telling what would have happened, if they were any other foreigner other than an Olympic athlete and arrested at the scene they would still be in jail. If I were them I would have payed the bribe to a few underpaid security guards to leave the scene as well. You do NOT want to enter the Brazil criminal justice system.
Exactly, and that how it is. But of course lochte has to go and get his 5 min of fame by fibbing and lying about things to make himself look so cool. Now he's lost millions. A real idiot.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:53 AM

597 posts, read 1,296,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Exactly, and that how it is. But of course lochte has to go and get his 5 min of fame by fibbing and lying about things to make himself look so cool. Now he's lost millions. A real idiot.
Brazilians Newspapers headlines today: RYAN LOCHTE LOOSES SPEEDO USA SPONSOR CONTRACT BECAUSE HIS LIE.
Very good. I hope he learns the lesson.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:34 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
Brazilians Newspapers headlines today: RYAN LOCHTE LOOSES SPEEDO USA SPONSOR CONTRACT BECAUSE HIS LIE.
Very good. I hope he learns the lesson.

tell them we chopped off part of his ear and stomped down on his toes really hard too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World