Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Those countries are obviously western although Finland the least so. Scandinavia is Sweden, Denmark and Norway. The other countries mentioned are Nordic but not Scandinavian countries which you should anyway know.
I`m a little unsure of that as they are very often described as Scandinavian, as are Iceland and the Faroe islands. Also I always thought Nordic was a description of language and not region.

edit; Just done a quick search and Scandinavia seems to be a `coverall` term for the region, even used by it`s own tourist board...

Last edited by LINCOLNSHIRE; 02-22-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 01:28 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,633,862 times
North Germanic, not Nordic languages, is a valid term of linguistics. The North Germanic languages (in modern times) are Danish, Norwegian, Sweden, Icelandic and Faroese. The Nordic countries refers to Scandinavian (Denmark, Norway and Sweden), Iceland and Finland. Faroese Islands, Greenland (both autonomous parts of Denmark) and Ă…land (Swedish-speaking population but part of Finland) are associated territories. The 5 Nordic countries (with the 3 autonomous regions mentioned above) co-operate in the Nordic Council.

The Finns are the odd ones out. They speak a Finno-Ugric language and are not a Germanic people. Their population history is derived from south-east. They are anthropologically closer to Finnic tribes in northwestern and interior parts of Russia. The Finns have some Germanic influence (and a Swedish-speaking minority reside in southern and western Finland) from Swedes in mainly western Finland which was once Ă–sterlandet or Finland proper).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
I`m a little unsure of that as they are very often described as Scandinavian, as are Iceland and the Faroe islands. Also I always thought Nordic was a description of language and not region.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM

It would be a simplified way of explaining the situation to foreigners. Scandinavia is considered a part of the Nordic countries. The term Nordic countries is not an established term outside the Nordic countries. That is why Scandinavia is sometimes mistakenly used synonymously with Nordic. Britain is not the same as United Kingdom. It is the same with Scandinavian and Nordic countries.

Quote:
edit; Just done a quick search and Scandinavia seems to be a `coverall` term for the region, even used by it`s own tourist board...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Thanks. I had most of that here Nordic countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suppose it just makes life easier to refer to them all as Scandinavian...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:39 PM

It does make things easier. Scandinavia is a land mass. Saying Scandinavian peninsula does not help much either because Denmark is not part of it but part of Northwestern Finland is yet it is culturally and linguistically more distant to Sweden than Norway than Denmark.

Quote:

I suppose it just makes life easier to refer to them all as Scandinavian...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
You guys also need a history lesson.
Where is Greece and Italy on your lists? Thats where the west got started.
There is nothing more western than the Acropolis and its culture that exists til this day!
Of course Italy and Greece are Western. I included any NATO member in Europe during the Cold War which certinaly includes Greece and Italy!!!! Turkey however is not a western country because of its Islamic religion and Third World economy and outlook.

Eastern Europe, esp. Russia and the former Soviet republics are also very backwards and non-western in their culture and outlook, at least compared to the United States and Britain.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times
More speficially, where is the East-West line drawn in Europe today? I still don't consider Poland a Western country, for example, but the Czech Republic MAYBE. I think history has left a mark on mentality just like the Mason-Dixon Line in the U.S. I'll never consider Russia or Ukraine to be Western countries no matter what kind of democracy or economic development they may have in the future, just like North Carolina will always be a southern state no matter how much the culture is changing.

How manyt people agree with the poster who said that Argentina and Chile are Western nations? What about Brazil, Mexico, and the rest of Latin America? I don't see Latin America as part of the West, but they aren't exactly "eastern" either. Is South Africa a Western country?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
How manyt people agree with the poster who said that Argentina and Chile are Western nations? What about Brazil, Mexico, and the rest of Latin America? I don't see Latin America as part of the West, but they aren't exactly "eastern" either. Is South Africa a Western country?

Based on my definition of basically being of European Christiandom, be it people or culture, Argentina is 85% white. Chile is about 50%, but has a culture and lifestyle more on par with Western nations. Brazil is a little more iffy as they've got a huge disparity gap, but the more advanced parts of it share a lot of similarities with the rest of the Western world.

South Africa? Hmm... I've always heard of white South Africa as being "1st World", but now that it's intergrated maybe not so much. Like Brazil there's a pretty big gap, but parts of it share a culture and lifestyle with the rest of the West. So maybe the title doesn't cover the whole country...

Old 02-25-2008, 12:19 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,644,793 times
Default Oops, I meant Nordic, not Scandinavia...

Ok, guys, I'm sorry. I typed wrong. Scandinavia = Norway, Denmark and Sweden. The Nordic countries = Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.
(I was talking to mom while typing that post so I wasn't really "thinking". I'm just hoping no one rats on me to my geography teacher)

Old 02-25-2008, 01:57 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
The term "west" is outdated, plus its misleading to think you can simplify it geographically in east and west. I think it once served a purpose to mean communist and the free world but those days are gone.

Like someone else said, its all about development and the only barrier imo is 1st world and 3rd world.

1st world nations have a high standard of living, equal (or at least better than 3rd world) rights for women, are not in constant turmoil, and have lower birth rates.

The 3rd world only has a high standard of living for its small upper class, women and minorities tend to be held down, much of the population struggles to be fed yet they still breed like rabbits. A bit hard to feel sympothy but that is another topic.

Now, there are some countries like China and Brazil that are in transition between 3rd and 1st so you will see elements of both.

Some will say that a 2nd world exists but I don't think its true. They would include all the countries that sided with the Soviet Union in this and are now getting on their feet economically, as well as China and India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World