Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 08:28 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times

Advertisements

In the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics, regarding the flight of Santos-Dumont 14-Bis, it was clear for me that people give a lot of weight in the issue "who were the first" instead of thinking the human knowledge as an evolution, and as a consequence each country has its own "father of the aviation". Brazilians have Santos-Dumont, americans have the Wright brothers, frenchmen have Clément Ader, germans have Otto Lilienthal, new zealanders have Richard Pearse, and so on.

Also Brazil has its own father of the radio: Roberto Landell de Moura, which made a transmission two years before of Guglielmo Marconi - although, on the contrary of Santos-Dumont with the aeroplane, most brazilians will say that Marconi actually invented it (and in fact none of them are the actual inventor, but Nikola Tesla).

Are there other national disputes concerning inventions around the world? Are there, for example, other people claiming the invention of, for example, the telephone or the computer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 12:34 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
In the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics, regarding the flight of Santos-Dumont 14-Bis, it was clear for me that people give a lot of weight in the issue "who were the first" instead of thinking the human knowledge as an evolution, and as a consequence each country has its own "father of the aviation". Brazilians have Santos-Dumont, americans have the Wright brothers, frenchmen have Clément Ader, germans have Otto Lilienthal, new zealanders have Richard Pearse, and so on.

Also Brazil has its own father of the radio: Roberto Landell de Moura, which made a transmission two years before of Guglielmo Marconi - although, on the contrary of Santos-Dumont with the aeroplane, most brazilians will say that Marconi actually invented it (and in fact none of them are the actual inventor, but Nikola Tesla).

Are there other national disputes concerning inventions around the world? Are there, for example, other people claiming the invention of, for example, the telephone or the computer?
Yes, regarding the very same radio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexan...panovich_Popov

Old 08-22-2016, 12:40 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
On this forum, fron past discussions, it seems that every invention from the US is contested

Old 08-22-2016, 12:54 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
On this forum, fron past discussions, it seems that every invention from the US is contested
You got that right.

Old 08-22-2016, 01:36 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You got that right.
Its pretty sad. If I recall correctly, flight was invented by the French, rock music is British, hamburgers are German, and everything invented by an immigrant in the US belongs to the nation they emigrated from and not the US. Also, we stole the demonym "American" and are all fat.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:23 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Koreans say lots of things originated in Korea, which has caused lots of dumb fights amongst Korea, Japan, and China lol.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Koreans say lots of things originated in Korea, which has caused lots of dumb fights amongst Korea, Japan, and China lol.
I have heard them say Chinese medicine comes from Korea.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 AM

The issue is worse than I ever thought...

Fact is: most of human inventions has not a "father", but it's an evoltion, a series of improvements.
I never heard of the Wright brothers until I was 15. Then, a friend of mine which is flight attendant told me that there are a lot of other claims to the inventor of the flight, and I noticed that it was a result of an evolution - all of them deserving some merit due to an important contribution. Same in relation to the radio (no, I never heard about Alexander Popov - but russians still can be credited for inventing the TV). These things serve more to give us a patriotic feeling of "we are great because we are brazilians/americans/russians/put here your nationality" than for practical purposes.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:00 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The issue is worse than I ever thought...

Fact is: most of human inventions has not a "father", but it's an evoltion, a series of improvements.
I never heard of the Wright brothers until I was 15. Then, a friend of mine which is flight attendant told me that there are a lot of other claims to the inventor of the flight, and I noticed that it was a result of an evolution - all of them deserving some merit due to an important contribution. Same in relation to the radio (no, I never heard about Alexander Popov - but russians still can be credited for inventing the TV). These things serve more to give us a patriotic feeling of "we are great because we are brazilians/americans/russians/put here your nationality" than for practical purposes.
I totally agree on the bold sentence.

So take what I'm going to write as an experiment, I'm just curious to know how many of these inventions are attributed to someone else in other countries.
Generally speaking, we tend to attribute a lot (really a lot) of inventions to our compatriots. After food and art, inventions are another of the few categories we are proud of.

So, here in Italy we claim to have invented:

- Anemometer (Leon Battista Alberti in 1450)
- Banks (in the modern sense)
- Barometer (Evangelista Torricelli in 1643. Torricelli also gave the name to a unit of measurement for pressure, the "Torr")
- Batteries by Alessandro Volta in 1800. The unit of measurement "Volt" derives from his name.
- Eyeglasses in 1286, unknown inventor
- Newspapers, Venice in 1563
- Nitroglycerin by Ascanio Sobrero in 1847
- regular Polypropylene web (which is the only one useful for making plastics) by Giulio Natta
- piano and violin

Here the one that to me seem the most arguable:
- The personal computer, with the machine Programma 101 released in 1965 by the Olivetti company
- The Radio, by Guglielmo Marconi in 1895 (in Italy Tesla is mostly know because his name is the unit of measurement for magnetic fields, T).
- The Telephone, the most famous name in here is Antonio Meucci, but there is also Innocenzo Manzetti who worked on the project even earlier.
- internal combustion engines by Barsanti-Matteucci
- The helicopter, because of Da Vinci's drawings.
-The first (working) nuclear reactor, by Enrico Fermi

Here there are just the first ones I found.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I totally agree on the bold sentence.

So take what I'm going to write as an experiment, I'm just curious to know how many of these inventions are attributed to someone else in other countries.
Generally speaking, we tend to attribute a lot (really a lot) of inventions to our compatriots. After food and art, inventions are another of the few categories we are proud of.

So, here in Italy we claim to have invented:

- Anemometer (Leon Battista Alberti in 1450)
- Banks (in the modern sense)
- Barometer (Evangelista Torricelli in 1643. Torricelli also gave the name to a unit of measurement for pressure, the "Torr")
- Batteries by Alessandro Volta in 1800. The unit of measurement "Volt" derives from his name.
- Eyeglasses in 1286, unknown inventor
- Newspapers, Venice in 1563
- Nitroglycerin by Ascanio Sobrero in 1847
- regular Polypropylene web (which is the only one useful for making plastics) by Giulio Natta
- piano and violin
Violin is disputed, as it is an improvement on ancient fiddles.
But piano, yes, you italians can be proud of having invented it. Bartolomeo Cristofori is its inventor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World