Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:33 PM

140 posts, read 150,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
10% of Uruguay's population has African ancestry tho'. That's much more than countries like Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador, etc.
I doubt that 10%, more like 5%. My comment was about something else. Argentina and Uruguay are countries with highest share of people with european descent so are heavily white or european by origin comparing to rest of South America.

Other countries have lower european share, that means are less European and more Amerindian, Mestizo, African, Asian (East Asian, South Asian, Midle East) and other mixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Latin America in general is quite diverse, but Brazil takes the cake. You will not find a country there that is as diverse- Japanese, African, Polish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Lebanese. It's all there in substantial numbers.
I think Suriname is more diverse. They lack European aspect, but very diverse too

Old 08-27-2016, 05:22 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
I think Suriname is more diverse. They lack European aspect, but very diverse too
Well then, when we don't count the European aspect, countries with substantial Native American populations are very diverse as well- many different cultures and languages there.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:57 PM

872 posts, read 903,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
I doubt that 10%, more like 5%...
Well, you are more or less right.

Quote:
According to data from the Encuesta Continua de Hogares of the National Statistics Institute, the descendants of African slaves, most of them mulattos, represent 5.9% of the population, while 9.1% of the population recognizes some African descent.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrouruguayo

Old 08-28-2016, 12:01 AM

8,848 posts, read 8,356,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
omg my fans are back (greysholic, urbanlouis, rosa surf)

these fellas CANNOT WAIT until I am back because as soon as they see me minding my own business they log back on to attack me and insult me and stalk me all over.

yes memoirs of a geisha is ridiculous and it doesn't portray japanese culture because it was full of chinese stuff... now go cry somewhere else

I AM THE ONE WHO WAS IN JAPAN WHEN THE MOVIE CAME OUT
Insult? Which part of my post is insulting? I was simply pointing you out.

And who was claiming that Memoirs of a Geisha is a good movie? I've seen it. The cinematography was excellent, but the script was horrible.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:19 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,848,034 times
Quote:
Latin America in general is quite diverse, but Brazil takes the cake. You will not find a country there that is as diverse- Japanese, African, Polish, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Lebanese. It's all there in substantial numbers.
Australia has a lot of these people too, you know.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Well then, when we don't count the European aspect, countries with substantial Native American populations are very diverse as well- many different cultures and languages there.
I do understand what you mean. I was looking at this from different perspective. Obviously you have different people with different languages among Indigenous people, just like you have many languages and differences among European immigrants and their descendents.

I was looking at this from perspective of grouping people to Amerindian, African, European, Asian and mixed betweeen them. Suriname is in this sense unique and different to rest of South America (only Guyana little bit similar with also massive Indian share). Obviously Suriname is very small country so you import few thousand people there and you already have minority, while in Brazil with 400x larger population it won t affect much.

If we look at Suriname from this perspective they are arguably most diverse country, but if we look at every ethnicity differently than Brazil takes the cake with 40, 50 who knows how many European groups there that are either non existing or irrelevant in Suriname.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
Well, you are more or less right.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrouruguayo
Well i have seen articles with 3,6 to 9% too. % here is not important, i think you do understand now what was my 1st comment about (Argentina and Uruguay being more european than others thanks to massive immigration and their share on total population)

Old 08-28-2016, 05:30 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,133,313 times
Our OP must have forgotten that Hawaii is a part of U.S. Japanese immigrants and their descendants, i.e. nisei, sansei and yonsei, have been living on the islands for over 100 years. In fact, they are the largest ethnic group in Hawaii.

Most Japanese came at the turn of the 20th century. Some migrated to Hawaii when Hawaii was still a monarchy before 1893. Most of the Japanese immigrants came from Okinawa and Kyushu. They came for the plantation jobs in Hawaii. Those two regions were the relatively poor parts of Japan during the Meiji period. Okinawa, which had undergone widespread famine after Japan incorporated the kingdom in 1876, have the largest overseas presence of Okinawans in Hawaii outside Japan.

Before WWII, there were huge presence of Japanese immigrants in Southeast Asia and Manchuria of China. After Japan's defeat, these immigrants were ousted from these regions even though they might have lived there for decades or born there.

There is a movie called Sandakan 8 (1974) portraying the life of a Japanese prostitute working in brothel in the city of Sandakan of British colonial Malaya in early 20th century.

Until 1990s, there were still news about Japanese children left behind in Manchuria during the attack of Red Army in 1945 returning to Japan from China for reunion.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:44 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,133,313 times
In Hawaii, most Japanese restaurants are operated by Japanese or Americans of Japanese descent. Only a token few are operated by Chinese.

But I believe that on Mainland, especially outside of California and NYC, many Japanese restaurants may be owned by Chinese.

Why? The reason is plain simple.

(1) Japanese restaurants have a much higher profit margin than Chinese restaurants in U.S. Chinese restaurants in U.S., with a few exceptions, are generally regarded as cheap food. So since there are more Chinese immigrants in Mainland U.S. than Japanese immigrants, naturally they go in to fill the void. Actually many Thai restaurants in Mainland are also operated by Chinese too.
(2) Besides Hawaii, San Francisco, NYC and a few other cities, most Americans cannot tell what is authentic Japanese food.

On the other hand, most Chinese restaurants in Japan, including those in Yokohama's Chinatown, are operated by Japanese themselves (some chefs are hired from China/Taiwan/HK). Chinese restaurants are regarded as expensive in Japan, even more expensive than the French restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World