Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 07:53 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

I'm going to arbitrarily limit this to 15 because otherwise the list is going to run long and meaningless

Berlin
Bueno Aires
Chicago
Hamburg
Kyoto
Madrid
Montreal
Paris
Shanghai
Sydney
Tangiers
Taipei
Tbilisi
Tokyo
Vienna

I've spent time in about half of these and am fascinated by the other half. I think the biggest surprise for me was Sydney--I really wasn't expecting to really be that into Australian cities and I figured of them I'd find Melbourne to be more interesting, but Sydney really won me over immediately.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-08-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Los Angeles is practically a desert with temps these days unless you are right in the coast. California's forest cover is ONLY the far northern part of the state, roughly a 10 hour drive from LA (not including notorious CA traffic) and probably four from SF (again not counting CA's notorious traffic). With traffic included, you're probably looking at 6 hours from SF and 12 from LA. Here in Arizona (Phoenix) I can get to a forest in two hours, and my state is well-known for being a desert wasteland despite 1/3 of my state having a protected pine tree forest. In Tucson, one hour.

Now I don't know what Western Australia is like but if you can reach a forest in less than six hours then it's the king here. California traffic has eliminated most of the pros that CA can offer, along with COL. For an example, back in the day, you could ski and surf in the same day if you lived in Los Angeles, that's no longer the case.

California's extensive drought (which is also worse than my neighboring desert state) is also ruining that percentage.

Literally any other state besides Nevada and Utah is a better state for forests than California.
That's untrue about California. Even Los Angeles has the Angeles National Forest nearby. The fluctuation in topography means there's forest cover for far more than just the far northern part of the state and some of the most notable ones runs an expanse that is in the central regions (latitudinally) of the inland part. These inland ranges get the precipitation from the humid coastal winds that land as rain and snow on one side which then leads to the bone dry deserts to the other which makes for a remarkable contrast.

California is 34th in the US for percentage forest cover and California is the third largest state. That's a lot of forest.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Isn't Australia significantly closer to Asia therefore sees a ton more Asian tourists? I've never been there I'm just taking a guess. It's probably a much easier flight to Bangkok or Hong Kong from there. Six hours for my flight in KL to Seoul probably makes what around 7 or 8 from anywhere in Australia to SE Asia? That beats the 12 hour minimum from San Francisco to Seoul which is what I did not too mention crossing the dateline will throw you off.

California is a pretty place but I do believe there are other places in the world that match your needs, especially since guns will never be banned in the United States.
Australia does see a ton of Asian tourists, but so does California. I think what you might not be factoring is that maps are usually displayed flattened and that skews the bulge the earth does as it goes out to the equator.

While the major coastal cities of California are a bit further away than the large coastal cities of Australia are, the difference isn't that great when it comes to flight time from East Asia. Seoul to Sydney is 5,172 miles while Seoul to San Francisco is 5,607 miles which in flight time is pretty much up exchangeable depending on how the winds are blowing or how the airports are running. Southeast Asia is a different story and that region is significantly closer to Australia than any part of California.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Australia does see a ton of Asian tourists, but so does California. I think what you might not be factoring is that maps are usually displayed flattened and that skews the bulge the earth does as it goes out to the equator.

While the major coastal cities of California are a bit further away than the large coastal cities of Australia are, the difference isn't that great when it comes to flight time from East Asia. Seoul to Sydney is 5,172 miles while Seoul to San Francisco is 5,607 miles which in flight time is pretty much up exchangeable depending on how the winds are blowing or how the airports are running. Southeast Asia is a different story and that region is significantly closer to Australia than any part of California.
Except because of the curvature of the earth the airplane will fly north up to Alaska and then across and down.

Old 10-09-2016, 12:30 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Taichung Taiwan
Kaohsiung Taiwan
Seriously? Have you been there? Taipei is pretty crap already, but these two are just awful. The pollution is disgusting, public transport is abysmal, the traffic is horrendous, and there's like nothing to see at all.

Back to topic, out of the cities I've been to I like Paris and Vienna the most, Lisbon and Tokyo are amazing as well. Venice, Florence, and Rome are drop dead gorgeous but I would never want to live in any of them.

I haven't been to Kyoto but I'm pretty sure that I'd enjoy it very much, and I'm also highly intrigued by St Petersburg and Moscow. Montreal seems fabulous too.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Except because of the curvature of the earth the airplane will fly north up to Alaska and then across and down.
Yes, they do that and the distance is shorter which is what accounts for why the difference between Seoul and San Francisco and Seoul and Sydney are actually pretty similar even though on a flat map, it looks like that the difference in distance should be far, far greater.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Seriously? Have you been there? Taipei is pretty crap already, but these two are just awful. The pollution is disgusting, public transport is abysmal, the traffic is horrendous, and there's like nothing to see at all.

Back to topic, out of the cities I've been to I like Paris and Vienna the most, Lisbon and Tokyo are amazing as well. Venice, Florence, and Rome are drop dead gorgeous but I would never want to live in any of them.

I haven't been to Kyoto but I'm pretty sure that I'd enjoy it very much, and I'm also highly intrigued by St Petersburg and Moscow. Montreal seems fabulous too.
How is it that you seem to go to such a drastically different Taiwan than almost anyone else who has on this forum?

Old 10-09-2016, 06:04 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
Quote:
How is it that you seem to go to such a drastically different Taiwan than almost anyone else who has on this forum?
He seems to have gone to a different London too, judging by his constant, negative comments.

Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Because he was born and raised there, i have the same feeling with my country (minus the pollution).

Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
I think you are aware of the fact that most Taiwanese people hold similar views as I do. Besides, which part of what I said wasn't true?

Regarding London, I hated it but it's not like I'm asking anyone to agree with me.

Last edited by Greysholic; 10-09-2016 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World