Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 PM

37,311 posts, read 39,731,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think you are aware of the fact that most Taiwanese people hold similar views as I do. Besides, which part of what I said wasn't true?

Regarding London, I hated it but it's not like I'm not asking anyone to agree with me.
Nah, actually. I know they gripe a lot about a lot of things especially over the last decade and a half, but I can't think of anyone who seems to have such an overwhelming negativity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 09:00 PM

8,882 posts, read 8,498,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nah, actually. I know they gripe a lot about a lot of things especially over the last decade and a half, but I can't think of anyone who seems to have such an overwhelming negativity.
I guess you just know more positive people. The negativity is off the chart on internet and beyond. The media is extremely negative as well.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I guess you just know more positive people. The negativity is off the chart on internet and beyond. The media is extremely negative as well.
Well, the internet is a giant echo chamber of whatever one wants it to be. It's amazing that way.

I do like both Taichung and Kaohsiung. I like the former, but feel the latter ends up being a lot more fun. Would also add that Kaohsiung has decent public transport for a city/metro of its size. Not fantastic, but it's not awful.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Well, the internet is a giant echo chamber of whatever one wants it to be. It's amazing that way.

I do like both Taichung and Kaohsiung. I like the former, but feel the latter ends up being a lot more fun. Would also add that Kaohsiung has decent public transport for a city/metro of its size. Not fantastic, but it's not awful.
Yes, but here it's definitely more negative than positive, and not just on Internet.

Ok maybe Kaohsiung's public transport is not the worst, but Taichung's is awful, the traffic jam is ridiculous and there's no sign of any improvement, except for that MRT construction and god knows when it's gonna finish.

Old 10-15-2016, 12:08 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,953,683 times
Quote:
Seriously? Have you been there? Taipei is pretty crap already, but these two are just awful. The pollution is disgusting, public transport is abysmal, the traffic is horrendous, and there's like nothing to see at all.
Quote:
Yes, but here it's definitely more negative than positive, and not just on Internet.

Ok maybe Kaohsiung's public transport is not the worst, but Taichung's is awful, the traffic jam is ridiculous and there's no sign of any improvement, except for that MRT construction and god knows when it's gonna finish.
Woah, this stark pessimism is bizarre to rationally analyze. Every other Taiwanese I met and encountered, including with connections there, are always enthusiastic to share positive uplifting stories on their experience over there. Visiting and living long term. Maybe an alteration of individual lifestyle is necessary.

Taiwan is experiencing more Decentralization than originally thought of by a majority with people. Taichung, and Kaohsiung have more than one million people each, and have their own world class iconic business activity, architecture, independent business stores, public transportation, and global city status. They are in no way inferior to Taipei, and might even offer a more high quality of life or exotic expression. There is world class scenery all over the island nation of Taiwan far outside of the single city with Taipei everywhere. Including around Kaohsiung, Taichung. One of the highest epic zones of computer silicon central integrated circuits semi-conductor electronics on this entire Planet Earth is from Taiwan, and outside of Taipei, starting with Hsinchu.

One main question to the Taiwanese: Are there even more of those Pagodas architectural buildings in Kaohsiung, Taichung than those existing around Taipei? Or is there a more even distribution of these iconic cultural symbols of architecture everywhere in the country?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pago...UIBigB&dpr=0.9

Old 10-15-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Woah, this stark pessimism is bizarre to rationally analyze. Every other Taiwanese I met and encountered, including with connections there, are always enthusiastic to share positive uplifting stories on their experience over there. Visiting and living long term. Maybe an alteration of individual lifestyle is necessary.
I think you just don't know that many Taiwanese. People here are very unhappy and a lot are trying to leave (or have already left), especially younger generations. The wage is beyond crap, the working culture and conditions are simply abhorrent, the political scene is vomit-inducing, and the education is a sad joke. The common perception is that this place has no future, and that's pretty much the reality.

Quote:
Taiwan is experiencing more Decentralization than originally thought of by a majority with people. Taichung, and Kaohsiung have more than one million people each, and have their own world class iconic business activity, architecture, independent business stores, public transportation, and global city status. They are in no way inferior to Taipei, and might even offer a more high quality of life or exotic expression. There is world class scenery all over the island nation of Taiwan far outside of the single city with Taipei everywhere. Including around Kaohsiung, Taichung. One of the highest epic zones of computer silicon central integrated circuits semi-conductor electronics on this entire Planet Earth is from Taiwan, and outside of Taipei, starting with Hsinchu.
There's no decentralisation. Taipei gets all the budget and it is still by no means a global city, let alone Taichung and KH. The only thing the latter two have it better than Taipei is the climate since it's like the rainiest city in the world, everything is mildew.

Besides, there's no "world class" scenery here, at least imo. Most of the things that you can do or see here can be better achieved somewhere else.

And Hsinchu is more like a group of towns instead of a real city. The public transportation is non-existent.

Quote:
One main question to the Taiwanese: Are there even more of those Pagodas architectural buildings in Kaohsiung, Taichung than those existing around Taipei? Or is there a more even distribution of these iconic cultural symbols of architecture everywhere in the country?
https://www.google.com/search?q=pago...UIBigB&dpr=0.9
That I have no idea.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:18 AM

4,640 posts, read 13,953,683 times
Quote:
I think you just don't know that many Taiwanese. People here are very unhappy and a lot are trying to leave (or have already left), especially younger generations. The wage is beyond crap, the working culture and conditions are simply abhorrent, the political scene is vomit-inducing, and the education is a sad joke. The common perception is that this place has no future, and that's pretty much the reality.

There's no decentralisation. Taipei gets all the budget and it is still by no means a global city, let alone Taichung and KH. The only thing the latter two have it better than Taipei is the climate since it's like the rainiest city in the world, everything is mildew.

Besides, there's no "world class" scenery here, at least imo. Most of the things that you can do or see here can be better achieved somewhere else.

And Hsinchu is more like a group of towns instead of a real city. The public transportation is non-existent.

That I have no idea.
Woah, this fatalistic cynicism is not real when thinking of Taiwan. Why are they wanting to leave? Taiwan offers everything imaginable, and hypnotically alluring scenery to enough even distribution. It's not Taiwan's fault at all if people are not happy. Maybe they have to eat more to really feel those satisfying feelings, wake up later on their days off, end up less workaholic only when appropriate, visit cafes nightclubs bars more often, and travel when they are able to with various actions of altering lifestyle. Tons of cultural and economic wealth around simultaneously, and not observing where there are reasons to complain. Incredible they have more bright future than almost any other nation on this entire Planet, yet some people aren't having any realistic hope.

Taiwan is encompassing enough Decentralization. Far outside of Taipei's grip technically. Tourists want to travel all over the island, not only Taipei. Alpha - Global City status is already the current situation with Taipei. Although, I am genuinely surprised if Kaohsiung, and Taichung are not getting any recognition right now. https://vincentloy.files.wordpress.c...world2012t.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Absolutely every American I know endlessly love Taiwan, and only say nice remarks on what they know of this country. They all want to visit after a 1st time, and wouldn't mind living there. How can native Taiwanese people not know they have a high quality of life. World class tourism is a reality.

At least Hsinchu makes our own computers. Especially those extra holy sacred silicon electronic integrated circuits of those central processing units making our own laptops function forever in our modern world. We all want our computers. Including the extra precious silicon.

Not knowing where those Pagodas of architectural landmarks are in your own national residence of status? Aren't they everywhere?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Woah, this fatalistic cynicism is not real when thinking of Taiwan. Why are they wanting to leave? Taiwan offers everything imaginable, and hypnotically alluring scenery to enough even distribution. It's not Taiwan's fault at all if people are not happy. Maybe they have to eat more to really feel those satisfying feelings, wake up later on their days off, end up less workaholic only when appropriate, visit cafes nightclubs bars more often, and travel when they are able to with various actions of altering lifestyle. Tons of cultural and economic wealth around simultaneously, and not observing where there are reasons to complain. Incredible they have more bright future than almost any other nation on this entire Planet, yet some people aren't having any realistic hope.

Taiwan is encompassing enough Decentralization. Far outside of Taipei's grip technically. Tourists want to travel all over the island, not only Taipei. Alpha - Global City status is already the current situation with Taipei. Although, I am genuinely surprised if Kaohsiung, and Taichung are not getting any recognition right now. https://vincentloy.files.wordpress.c...world2012t.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_city

Absolutely every American I know endlessly love Taiwan, and only say nice remarks on what they know of this country. They all want to visit after a 1st time, and wouldn't mind living there. How can native Taiwanese people not know they have a high quality of life. World class tourism is a reality.

At least Hsinchu makes our own computers. Especially those extra holy sacred silicon electronic integrated circuits of those central processing units making our own laptops function forever in our modern world. We all want our computers. Including the extra precious silicon.
I feel like a broken record now so I'm gonna stop right here...except for one thing. Every American who? I seriously doubt the notion that average Americans have even heard of Taiwan, let alone know where it is or "like" it.

Quote:
Not knowing where those Pagodas of architectural landmarks are in your own national residence of status? Aren't they everywhere?
No not really. I rarely see any. There are probably more in China.

Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:

That I have no idea.
I know plenty of Taiwanese people and while I have noticed a greater degree of pessimism over the last decade, I don't agree with the terms you're putting it in which seems to greatly exaggerate it.

Taipei has traditionally gotten the lion's share of the budget (and its metropolitan population is nearly half the country's population), but it's not like the rest have of the country is some impoverished backwater.

As for there not being world class scenery, I disagree here as well. Taiwan is a small island but that island is one of the tallest landmasses in the world and there are high mountains and sharp reliefs in the topography. Taroko Gorge is great and it isn't all that's there though it's probably the part I'd consider unique and world class. Kenting and the general area is great when there isn't a massive festival.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I know plenty of Taiwanese people and while I have noticed a greater degree of pessimism over the last decade, I don't agree with the terms you're putting it in which seems to greatly exaggerate it.
You genuinely don't agree that the wage, the working environment, the politics, and the education are terrible? Ok let's apply a lower standard and say that the political scene isn't worse than in America (which probably is true given the state of affairs) and disregard the rote aspect and say that the education is less crazy than in China/HK/Korea and that it is at least easily accessible and is mostly free (or reasonably priced with regard to higher education), do you really consider the working department to be decent? I find that hard to believe. I think you are very well aware of the less-than-desirable situation in that area, and I'm definitely not exaggerating when I say that lots of talent are trying to leave or have already left.

Quote:
Taipei has traditionally gotten the lion's share of the budget (and its metropolitan population is nearly half the country's population), but it's not like the rest have of the country is some impoverished backwater.
I never said that. Backwater? Yes. Impoverished? No. I've never claimed Taiwan to be "poor" .... there's honestly far less poverty and homelessness here than pretty much everywhere else.

That doesn't change the fact that Taichung has terrible public transportation and traffic jam, and that both the central and the south have horrible pollution problem in comparison to Taipei.

Quote:
As for there not being world class scenery, I disagree here as well. Taiwan is a small island but that island is one of the tallest landmasses in the world and there are high mountains and sharp reliefs in the topography. Taroko Gorge is great and it isn't all that's there though it's probably the part I'd consider unique and world class. Kenting and the general area is great when there isn't a massive festival.
Yes there are plenty of mountains but the accessibility is very low. Can you imagine anyone doing all those hiking trails without knowing Chinese or without a car? I can't. The public transportation to those spots is extremely limited, to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World