Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:23 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

Certainly not. Because if I was super-rich, I would realize my dream (and it takes a lot of money) : do like Douglas Tomkins in Puma land (biosphere reserve), only 10 times Pumaland. No state will ever do that, because they have to heed different interests, in general contrarians to nature conservancy. There is no state equivalent to Sea Shepherd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:35 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
It is very rare that a person becomes wealthy when they started from nothing. Wealth is generally passed down directly or through established connections. I'm not saying going from rags to riches is impossible, people have certainly done it, but it is very much the exception, not the rule.
You are very very mistaken ...

Forbes Welcome

and governments are much more inefficient with money then are the people who actually worked to make it.

"No country has ever succeeded at taxing itself into prosperity. As Winston Churchill observed, that would be like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

Old 08-28-2016, 09:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
You are very very mistaken ...

Forbes Welcome

and governments are much more inefficient with money then are the people who actually worked to make it.

"No country has ever succeeded at taxing itself into prosperity. As Winston Churchill observed, that would be like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
Can't get passed the annoying wait for this intro.

However, I am willing to bet that your Forbes list is not showing how many people are not able to do that by comparison. Is it taking a decent sample size and showing a percentage?

Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,236,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
However, I am willing to bet that your Forbes list is not showing how many people are not able to do that by comparison. Is it taking a decent sample size and showing a percentage?
Which has nothing to do with your original statement.

But to respond to your deviation, of course most people don't become super wealthy, just like most people who would like to don't become Formula 1 drivers, and most at most high school or college football players don't become professionals and make significant incomes. Most people are average.
The Forbes article simply states that approximately 70% of Americans 400 wealthiest people are self-made, including people who grew up dirt poor.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:36 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
I wonder what Apple, Microsoft, Nokia, IKEA, GM and others would look like if there were a one million cap. "Yeah, Steve, I'd love to invest, but I have only $2000 on me, the cap you know. The rest is going to pay my mortgage".

"Yeah, I just found a grocery store chain which is the bomb! Too bad I can open merely one LIDL kiosk so I don't go over the cap."

Old 08-28-2016, 02:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Which has nothing to do with your original statement.

But to respond to your deviation, of course most people don't become super wealthy, just like most people who would like to don't become Formula 1 drivers, and most at most high school or college football players don't become professionals and make significant incomes. Most people are average.
The Forbes article simply states that approximately 70% of Americans 400 wealthiest people are self-made, including people who grew up dirt poor.
One thing you, and a few others who have taken exception to opposition of this position have failed to do is properly defend your position. Sure, you've given abundant criticism of other ideas and even of the people who've proposed them, but I have yet to see a proper defense of this 1 million dollar proposal. Can you provide that or should I expect more of the same?

Old 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM

34 posts, read 33,936 times
$1 million would be a miracle right now, wow.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:25 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I wonder what Apple, Microsoft, Nokia, IKEA, GM and others would look like if there were a one million cap. "Yeah, Steve, I'd love to invest, but I have only $2000 on me, the cap you know. The rest is going to pay my mortgage".

"Yeah, I just found a grocery store chain which is the bomb! Too bad I can open merely one LIDL kiosk so I don't go over the cap."
Think about the OTHER side of it, Ariete. Yes, you can't buy that "store chain" - in fact there will be no chains to speak of ( depending on the cap.) You'll be happy with your one Lidl store, as someone next to you with the ownership of the other one, so you'll have a bigger number of wealthy people in the country instead of fewer and fewer super-rich ones, that will be hoarding more and more of "store chains," "investment companies" and the rest, with the next logical step of going to other countries, buying them up or striking deals with them and THEN already dictating to their own governments the foreign policies towards those countries, based on their own financial interests.
I could see how it all happened in the US, with promotion of the idea that "greed is good."

Old 08-28-2016, 04:33 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Wouldn't it be better if there was some kind of law where 1 human can't own more than 1 million dollars, especially in 3rd world countries.
Every dollar one makes above 1 million should be donated to poor people without criminal records.
To create a balance that every country needs to become developed.
Lower class will grow to middle class a lot faster, there will be less animosity between different classes in the long run since there will be a lot less different classes.
You can't be serious.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:34 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
When i say "donate to the poor" i mean that they should give the money to poor people who work and to those who showed are unable to work after medical exams.
HAHAHA. So why would anyone try to make money if everyone that makes money, would just give to you if you were poor?

Do you see how silly this is??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World