Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which language do you prefer?
Spanish 33 56.90%
Portuguese 25 43.10%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:52 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
Portuguese is a fun language but I wouldn't call it pretty.

The most overrated Romance language has to be French.... A lot of people swear French is just beautiful and glamorous but those are usually the kind of people who never really been exposed to French language openly. their exposure to French resumes to some French songs here and there and some movies etc.

The thing is once you move to a French speaking country where all you hear is French 24/7, the language quickly loses its glamour and starts sounding really nasal and guttural!

French is also highly subjected to the speaker.... if the French speaker in question is not very educated and chop words and speaks with slang, french can sound kinda ugly and irritating to the ear due to all those nasal accents and a lot of those slangs are kinda guttural too.
I'd have to agree with this. I've studied French and lost interest in it because it becomes fatiguing after a while. It is a lot more guttural than most people seem to think and there are way too many words that sound the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I think that Italian is the best sounding Romance language.
I agree. It's also probably the purest of the Romance languages as well. Meaning less non Romance influence compared to the others.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mille-electronics View Post
Another song proving how unattractive french language is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe5xzAlJ4t0

hit the road jack from ray charles but in french

WHAT A TRAINWRECK

the parts where ray charles would say : oh baby please... sound terrible in French.... just listen how irritating the french guy sounds 00:53
NO, just NO!

Old 08-29-2016, 09:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,525,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I agree. It's also probably the purest of the Romance languages as well. Meaning less non Romance influence compared to the others.
In fact, the purest romance language is Sardinian. It's quite close to Latin, even more than Italian.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Nope Romanian sounds the worst, sounds like half Russian half Italian. I worked with a Romanian for a year she would spend her breaks sometimes having phone conversations in Romanian for 15 minutes at a time with her mother in our work area there was no break room.

But then again I can see how some don't like the sound of Portuguese in addition to the ancient Slavic-like vestiges it has an additional layer going on about 1,000 Arabic loan words.
Spanish has a LOT of Arabic in it too.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
In fact, the purest romance language is Sardinian. It's quite close to Latin, even more than Italian.
Didn't know if Sardinian was a separate language but now I do. I haven't heard it. Thanks for the info

Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Spanish has a LOT of Arabic in it too.
Yeah both Portuguese and Castilian also have Germanic loan words and there are some regional differences in the Celtic, Iberian and Celtiberian components.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:23 AM

570 posts, read 604,532 times
Mille-Electronics.-
You has kindness to say of what country are you.

Because I see that you have to visited many countries.--

In Spain there are regions that do not pronounce the Z.-

Old 08-29-2016, 11:34 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I thought this as well when I visited Portugal. I was not familiar with Portuguese yet and I was very surprised to find that the intonation sounded like Russian!

It's interesting to be immersed in both language worlds, Spanish and Portuguese. I love both and I have an appreciation for all accents, colloquialisms, etc...
Portuguese of Portugal is so different the pronounce that Brazilians have to familiarize how they pronounce the words first for start understand what they speak.
Is common in Brazilian TV be subtitled when Portuguese people (as African speakers) are speaking some times, but in the other hand Portuguese people always understand us. May be because they watch Brazilian TV shows, soap operas and movies in original language version.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:53 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Portuguese of Portugal is so different the pronounce that Brazilians have to familiarize how they pronounce the words first for start understand what they speak.
Is common in Brazilian TV be subtitled when Portuguese people (as African speakers) are speaking some times, but in the other hand Portuguese people always understand us. May be because they watch Brazilian TV shows, soap operas and movies in original language version.

It depends on the region the speaker is from.

People from the interior are difficult to understand an example would be the accent in the old Brazilian telenovela Pantanal parts of the Nordeste also isn't difficult to understand. The Rio and Sao Paulo accent is not hard to understand.

There are also regional accents found in Portugal that are challenging for some European Portuguese speakers to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World