Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 11:49 PM

9,240 posts, read 9,723,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Also consider how differently people who speak Chinese (and Japanese) as their primary language and later in life learn English. Chinese natives have great difficulty in pronouncing some English words because of they can't deal with L's and R's. The Chinese language also uses five different tones for any given "word", which gives it five different meanings. So a Chinese=American who speaks English as their primary or only language, isn't going to be able say a Chinese name correctly.
Your claims are way too strong.
Nowadays most Chinese have no problem distinguishing English L and R. Mandarin has these two sounds (very close) and Mandarin is mandatory in contemporary China.

Many (America born) Chinese Americans speak very good Chinese. Recent Chinese immigrants mostly have good education and high self esteem. They often require their children to speak Chinese at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 11:58 PM

[quote=GoodHombre;52655618]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Those are East Asians. Technically Asian includes SE Asians, Mongols, Indians,

SE Asians have a lot of similarities with East Asians.

Culturally and ethnically Indians, Middle Easterners are as foreign as Europeans/Africans.
Some Southeast Asians may look like East Asians, but culturally they can be very different.
For example, Malaysia and Indonesia are predominantly Islamic, but East Asia is not.

East Asia has four distinct seasons, so they farm and harvest pretty much the same as Europeans. South Asia, SE Asia and the Middle East have very different traditional economies.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,706,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I understand that in Britain Asian means South Asian/Middle Eastern, and East Asians are generically referred to as Chinese.
In comparison, Americans are much better at world geography.

No wonder Britain is said to have much worse public schools than America.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,398,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRh1zXFKC_o

Much better at world geography indeed.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:36 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,355,986 times
^^ HAHAHAH lmao

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,398,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
^^ HAHAHAH lmao
My favorite was "I guess this big one is America" *points at Russia*. LMAO

Old 07-31-2018, 09:24 AM

2,838 posts, read 2,139,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

I wouldn't say education or geography has anything to do with it. Britain simply had more immigrants from the western parts of Eurasia for a longer period so naturally that's who they think of as Asian first.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:32 AM

16,465 posts, read 10,487,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
I think Slavic names suit them better.
I’ve met a Pavel Huang, a Vladimir Takeshi, a Ratko Do Ik, for instance.
Their name - surname combos sound bloody awesome

Pavel Huang. I would like to meet that man, just to tell him how incredibly amazing his name is.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:03 PM

725 posts, read 802,691 times
I don’t. It is comical but also insulting to white people. Imagine if a white person had an Asian name. That white person would not only be mocked but people would accuse his parents of being disrespectful and cultural appropriation.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
I don’t. It is comical but also insulting to white people. Imagine if a white person had an Asian name. That white person would not only be mocked but people would accuse his parents of being disrespectful and cultural appropriation.
Many Westerners in China do have a Chinese name. Not official though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World