Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 06:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Let's call them the "Imperials". They will have Roman names and wear Roman legionary armor and constantly be at war with their barbarian neighbors the Nords and the Bretons. Also there would be orcs, lizard people and three types of elves, a tall yellow skinned elf race, a blue, xenophobic elf race, and a tetchy little cannibalistic elf race. Europe has never been more fun.
You forgot the Black People, the Redguards.

Even spiders and mudcrabs were huge at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,048,844 times
Generally Hispano means Spanish is your native tongue while Latino means you're from Latin America. Brazilians are Latinos but not Hispanos.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:57 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Aren't they Caucasians?

Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Aren't they Caucasians?
Who? Broadly speaking, the term also encompasses Middle Easterners, North Africans and some South & Central Asian peoples.

Anyway, to answer my own thread, when I hear "European" I think of the non-English speaking countries and their peoples, namely in Central Europe (France, Germany, Poland, Czech, Belgium, Austria, etc) and also the Nordic/Scandinavian countries (Sweden, Finland, Norway). They're the quintessential European countries for me.

Strangely, I never associate "European" with the Brits and Irish for some reason - I'm guessing because they're English-speaking and most Australians and Americans come from there? And that they don't appear "foreign" to me? I don't know.

And also, I rarely associate "European" with the Mediterranean countries, as they tend to have an "exotic" influence. Parts of the Mediterranean Europe can easily feel like the Near East and North Africa. And even some Med folks tend to look homogeneous to the peoples there. But that's just me.

Last edited by Ethereal; 09-04-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,048,844 times
Isn't Germany the capital of Europe, the place where all policy is mandated for the rest of the worker ants? Do as Germany says or else!

Old 09-05-2016, 11:23 AM

881 posts, read 921,127 times
"African" and "Asian" is used incorrectly, indeed. Also "Latino" and many other denonyms that are asociated with a single, homogeneous society with the same cultural practices.

this remind me about Orientalism as Edward Said puts it:

Quote:
Orientalism is a 1978 book by Edward W. Said, in which Said studies the cultural representations that are the bases of Orientalism, the West's patronizing perceptions and fictional depictions of "The East" — the societies and peoples who inhabit the places of Asia, North Africa, and the Middle East. Orientalism, the Western scholarship about the Eastern World, was and remains inextricably tied to the imperialist societies who produced it, which makes much Orientalist work inherently political and servile to power, and thus intellectually suspect.[1]
In the Middle East, the social, economic, and cultural practices of the ruling Arab élites indicate they are imperial satraps who have internalized the romanticized "Arab Culture" created by French, British and, later, American Orientalists; the examples include critical analyses of the colonial literature of Joseph Conrad, which conflates a people, a time, and a place into a narrative of incident and adventure in an exotic land.[2]
The critical application of post-structuralism in the scholarship of Orientalism influenced the development of literary theory, cultural criticism, and the field of Middle Eastern studies, especially regarding how academics practice their intellectual enquiry when examining, describing, and explaining the Middle East.[3] The scope of Said's scholarship established Orientalism as a foundation text in the field of Post-colonial Culture Studies, which examines the denotations and connotations of Orientalism, and the history of a country's post-colonial period.[4]
As a public intellectual, Edward Said debated Orientalism with historians and scholars of area studies, notably, the Orientalist and historian Bernard Lewis, who said that the thesis of Orientalism was “anti-Western”.[5] For subsequent editions of Orientalism, Said wrote an "Afterword" (1995)[6] and a "Preface" (2003)[7] addressing criticisms of the content, substance, and style of the work as cultural criticism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orientalism_(book)

Old 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM

140 posts, read 151,628 times
European should include every European ethnicity. I doubt there is much of separation if you say Europeans. I mean if you in English use term European I guess it could be Slavs, Germanic people or people from romance speaking countries, just like Baltics or Greeks or Hungarians. I guess Turkey is really mostly not included and Caucasus almost never

It is really differrent to African or Asian. Hardly anyone under term African thinks about Maghreb and if you use word Asian (in some countries it means East and Southeast Asia and in some Indian subcontinent included, but again nobody thinks about Midle East. Let s imagine friend told you he saw many Asian tourists you would not think about Arabs.)

Also another term is American, i think everyone understands USA under this

Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
When I think of "European" I generally associate that with a handful of western European countries...mainly France, Germany, Italy, UK, Spain.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Isn't Germany the capital of Europe, the place where all policy is mandated for the rest of the worker ants? Do as Germany says or else!
That would be Belgium as the EU's government is in Brussels. However, I guess you still have a point as Germany carries a lot of weight in the financial sector.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:10 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
European should include every European ethnicity. I doubt there is much of separation if you say Europeans. I mean if you in English use term European I guess it could be Slavs, Germanic people or people from romance speaking countries, just like Baltics or Greeks or Hungarians. I guess Turkey is really mostly not included and Caucasus almost never

It is really differrent to African or Asian. Hardly anyone under term African thinks about Maghreb and if you use word Asian (in some countries it means East and Southeast Asia and in some Indian subcontinent included, but again nobody thinks about Midle East. Let s imagine friend told you he saw many Asian tourists you would not think about Arabs.)

Also another term is American, i think everyone understands USA under this
True.

And with "Latinos", people would have South Americans (or Mestizos) in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World