Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:25 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times

Advertisements

When people hear "African", they'd generally think of subsaharan folks. And with "Asian", you'd think Chinese or Korean peoples. Of course, not everyone does, and these terms are pretty much continents or geographical landmasses. But people have usually associated them (rather ignorantly, but I don't blame them) for races.

Back to the topic (and this is just a fun thread) - When you hear "European", what European ethnicity or culture comes in mind? The Slavs, the Mediterraneans, the Nordics, the Celts, etc? What is the most quintessential European ethnicity or the one that is the "face" of Europe to you, just the same way Eastern Asia seem to be the face of Asia, and Central-Southern Africa for Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 09:47 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
For me, and I think most Americans, when I think of Europe, without thinking we get images of Paris, Rome and London in our minds for cities and when we think of people, a lot of the time it's stuff like French cafes in Paris and Lederhosen and beer festivals in Germany.

Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
When people hear "African", they'd generally think of subsaharan folks. And with "Asian", you'd think Chinese or Korean peoples. Of course, not everyone does, and these terms are pretty much continents or geographical landmasses. But people have usually associated them (rather ignorantly, but I don't blame them) for races.

Back to the topic (and this is just a fun thread) - When you hear "European", what European ethnicity or culture comes in mind? The Slavs, the Mediterraneans, the Nordics, the Celts, etc? What is the most quintessential European ethnicity or the one that is the "face" of Europe to you, just the same way Eastern Asia seem to be the face of Asia, and Central-Southern Africa for Africa?
400+ years ago i would say Latins, since then Germanic.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:33 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
I'd say French.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Basques.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:50 AM

64 posts, read 65,861 times
Latins are they are the creators of a lot of Europe's modern traditions, and the base of modern European culture.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:41 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
Latins are they are the creators of a lot of Europe's modern traditions, and the base of modern European culture.
There is no ethnic group called "Latins", Latin is the language from Ancient Rome (and the Roman Empire). "Latinos" are broadly speaking the people of Latin America (Spanish and Portuguese speakers for the most part).

Latin had a huge influence on much of Europe, yes--it resulted in the development of the French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian languages, and some partial influence on other languages (English via the Norman Conquest, etc.).

There were many other linguistic and cultural influences too, though.

When I think stereotypical Europe, I tend to think of these things, in this order:
(a) the largest European ethnic groups in Canada: French, German, Italian, and Slavic Europeans
(b) Central Europe--Poland, Austria, Germany, Czechia, etc. Clichés like cobble stone streets, castles, vineyards, pubs, and cafés.
(c) Southern Europe, but in my mind I link southern Europe with the entire Mediterranean region... so Italy, Spain, Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Malta, plus the northern coastal parts of the Maghreb countries, even northern Libya, Egypt, the western coastal area of the Middle East.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:49 AM

64 posts, read 65,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
There is no ethnic group called "Latins", Latin is the language from Ancient Rome (and the Roman Empire). "Latinos" are broadly speaking the people of Latin America (Spanish and Portuguese speakers for the most part).
The topic is

Asians = Chinese, even though there are many groups out there

Subsaharan people = Africans, even though not all Africans are black or have subsaharan roots

Btw latino is a latin american ONLY in North America, outside of it people don't really use that term.

Old 09-04-2016, 05:53 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
The topic is

Asians = Chinese, even though there are many groups out there

Subsaharan people = Africans, even though not all Africans are black or have subsaharan roots

Btw latino is a latin american ONLY in North America, outside of it people don't really use that term.
The premise of the thread is that it's OK to glob masses of people together with inaccurate clichés merging them all together into one amorphous ethnic region. Doesn't seem like a fun idea for a thread to me, but, maybe Europeans think it's fun?

Since it's inaccurate in the first place, and rather arbitrary, then let's assume all Europeans are Breton. Striped Breton fisherman shirts are probably the most popular European fashion statement in the rest of the world today. Add a bottle of wine, and there you have it, a Euro-Breton.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:22 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
(c) Southern Europe, but in my mind I link southern Europe with the entire Mediterranean region... so Italy, Spain, Greece, Croatia, Cyprus, Malta, plus the northern coastal parts of the Maghreb countries, even northern Libya, Egypt, the western coastal area of the Middle East.
1300+ years ago sure, today there is no connection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World