Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:13 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Ireland at risk of reaching US levels of income inequality, says study

Top 10% own over half of Irish wealth | Irish Examiner

According to PEW, the Irish have the widest income gap, before taxes. After taxes, it is somewhat more tame, but still up there.
the irish times is like the guardian newspaper in the uk , media in ireland is overwhelmingly left wing and never stop bleating on about inequality , most issues involve various shades of grey so one can believe inequality gone too far is actually a problem for everyone , i think this is the case in the usa , i do not believe its the case in much of europe and certainly not in ireland , the safety net in ireland is incredibly robust , too much so in many cases and it means a huge tax burden is placed on middle income earners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleff89 View Post
Sometimes when I go into the supermarket you see this immense amount of plastic made in China garbage piled up in rows and rows and rows of shelves towering over you, and a bunch of fat ugly zombies shopping like they have no brain.

It always insults me and disgusts me.
im weird in that spending money actually doesnt make me remotely happy , im not a miser but i actually take pleasure in frugal living , i see it as a philosophy in itself , i like how germans think and live in this regard , i know thats a generalisation but i think some nations are more content not to splurge than others

Old 09-11-2016, 08:13 AM

48 posts, read 50,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
im weird in that spending money actually doesnt make me remotely happy , im not a miser but i actually take pleasure in frugal living , i see it as a philosophy in itself , i like how germans think and live in this regard , i know thats a generalisation but i think some nations are more content not to splurge than others
If the world was more like Germans we'd be better off

- Recycle
- Don't buy stuff you don't need
- Keep only stuff you need or stuff that has a special meaning to you
- Give away/donate those thing you have laying around but don't need.

Here in America we still go to a supermarket and they give you dozens of plastic bags that then people throw them away and recycling is still a hippy thing to many idiots here.

America it's like a gross fat pig that eats and eats and eats and doesn't care about anyone else or anything.

People still think driving giant SUVs is cool and it makes them free, people still think living miles and miles away from anywhere and then driving all day long it's normal behavior.

If you like frugal living, people with substance, a life that revolves around something else besides working so you can have money to spend, I advise you do not come to America, you'll hate life!

America is not a place meant for free thinkers.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:00 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Do you see the irony here? In your mind people are free to think as long as they think as you do. It's laughable.

OTH, I just want people to be free. Free to decide the gender of their spouse, free to decide if an abortion is appropriate, free to decide where and how they want to live, free to decide how their money is spent, free to decide whether they want to drive a Smart car or a Yukon. Free to make their own choices and have their own thoughts. Free to sink or swim in life. You want to control people and have them live by your vision of the world.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:

See, your ideas are closer to those of the Third Reich and Eugenics. But they are not necessarily correct.
You lost me and my interest in debating with you. I simply stated a fact that life is easier for attractive people. Less attractive people have to prove their worth to a different degree before they get promoted or even hired. Fair or not, it's just the way it is, everywhere in the world. Stating the facts does not make me a Nazi or a believer in eugenics.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:21 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
If the world was more like Germans we'd be better off

- Recycle
- Don't buy stuff you don't need
- Keep only stuff you need or stuff that has a special meaning to you
- Give away/donate those thing you have laying around but don't need.

Here in America we still go to a supermarket and they give you dozens of plastic bags that then people throw them away and recycling is still a hippy thing to many idiots here.

America it's like a gross fat pig that eats and eats and eats and doesn't care about anyone else or anything.

People still think driving giant SUVs is cool and it makes them free, people still think living miles and miles away from anywhere and then driving all day long it's normal behavior.

If you like frugal living, people with substance, a life that revolves around something else besides working so you can have money to spend, I advise you do not come to America, you'll hate life!

There is some truth to this in part it is a coping mechanism a large part of employers treat people like dispensable pieces of crap constantly cramming unattainable goals down people's throats and the targets are constantly moving.(Money is valued much more than people in the USA) Everyone is out for himself dog eat dog. It's all about the money, money, money! What a damn shame!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:52 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
You lost me and my interest in debating with you. I simply stated a fact that life is easier for attractive people. Less attractive people have to prove their worth to a different degree before they get promoted or even hired. Fair or not, it's just the way it is, everywhere in the world. Stating the facts does not make me a Nazi or a believer in eugenics.
Oh boy... I didn't call you a Nazi - I only pointed that the way you are connecting the dots between animal kingdom, "the strongest, the brightest," the looks and "life is not fair" is reminiscent of that philosophy, ( well part of it,) even if you are not aware of it.
So I repeat again - what's true for animal kingdom is not necessarily true for man's kingdom, where things are far more complex. The brightest might have poor looks, the bravest might be short and the best looking might be void of some other valuable qualities. And no IQ test in the world can measure the ability to understand classical music or paintings - one of the highest achievement of humankind, that clearly sets it apart from animal kingdom.
What you are describing is typical for corporate America and there are a lot of women there lately, so the looks become a required feature.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM

Looks are not a required feature, but an advantage. It's not just corporate America, it is the world and is even worse in other places. In Europe and Asia, not only is it looks, but also the label on your suit and shoes.

As for understating art, I had better be able to understand it. It's my business.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Looks are not a required feature, but an advantage. It's not just corporate America, it is the world and is even worse in other places. In Europe and Asia, not only is it looks, but also the label on your suit and shoes.
OK, so we are back to "importance of looks," which as I've said in reality might be less important after all, depending on who is a judge.

Quote:
As for understating art, I had better be able to understand it. It's my business.
*Sigh*
No, that's not the kind of *understanding* of art I was talking about.
Not how much one can make on it, not THAT kind.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

*Sigh*
No, that's not the kind of *understanding* of art I was talking about.
Not how much one can make on it, not THAT kind.
If I cannot not explain the meaning of an artwork and its qualities, I'm not going to sell much. People who buy quality art are not dummies. Funny thing is that while some are pseudo-intellectual liberals from academia, most are evil capitalists who not only understand money, but also listen to Mahler and have a deeper understanding of art than "it looks pretty".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World