U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Berlin vs London
Berlin 10 45.45%
London 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 03:25 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,192,238 times

Advertisements

Can't find a good thread on these two, so I'll start one maybe

-More Vibrant, (I heard they both are)
-Best to Live
-Best Cuisine
-More to do
-More Beautiful
-Best Location
-More Manageable
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 04:30 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,078,246 times
Although I like Berlin, I expect London will run away with this one quite easily.

Vibrancy - London. Both have excellent nightlife, bars, clubs, music events etc, but London just has more. It also has Brixton, Camden, Soho, Notting Hill etc. Berlin has a better gay scene. So I've heard.

Best to Live - probably a tie. London probably has more to offer. Berlin is far cheaper and has become a magnet for start-ups and creatives in the last few years.

Best Cuisine - London. You can pretty much find any cuisine you could wish for. Berlin's no slouch though!

More to do - London, by some distance. You get a feeling you are always missing out on something.

More Beautiful - Tie. Berlin is beautiful in the central area with some gorgeous (if rebuilt) architecture but it falls off quite a bit the further away you go. London has some glorious buildings mixed with some slightly less glorious ones and is more spread out. London has better parks/green areas by far.

Best Location - Tie. They're not really too far away from each other!

More Manageable - Berlin. It's much smaller and easier to get around! Cheaper too

May I ask why you chose to pit these two great cities against each other?

Old 09-15-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Although I like Berlin, I expect London will run away with this one quite easily.

Vibrancy - London. Both have excellent nightlife, bars, clubs, music events etc, but London just has more. It also has Brixton, Camden, Soho, Notting Hill etc. Berlin has a better gay scene. So I've heard.

Best to Live - probably a tie. London probably has more to offer. Berlin is far cheaper and has become a magnet for start-ups and creatives in the last few years.

Best Cuisine - London. You can pretty much find any cuisine you could wish for. Berlin's no slouch though!

More to do - London, by some distance. You get a feeling you are always missing out on something.

More Beautiful - Tie. Berlin is beautiful in the central area with some gorgeous (if rebuilt) architecture but it falls off quite a bit the further away you go. London has some glorious buildings mixed with some slightly less glorious ones and is more spread out. London has better parks/green areas by far.

Best Location - Tie. They're not really too far away from each other!

More Manageable - Berlin. It's much smaller and easier to get around! Cheaper too

May I ask why you chose to pit these two great cities against each other?

Couldn't find any good updated threads on the two

Old 09-16-2016, 04:52 AM

969 posts, read 731,960 times
I think Berlin is a great city that punches above its weight.

It seems to do well for nightlife and lots of people who are into the bohemian/hipster chic find it very appealing.

I think putting it up against a heavy-weight like London, though, is a little unfair.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Well Than Why Isn't Berlin a Heavy Weight

Old 09-16-2016, 05:07 PM
BMI

7,471 posts, read 5,914,627 times
London

Love it, my fave European city.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM

7,886 posts, read 6,403,485 times
I find Berlin overrated but I really dislike London so I'd take the former over the later any time.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:16 AM

969 posts, read 731,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Well Than Why Isn't Berlin a Heavy Weight
I think it depends on your personal preferences.

Berlin seems to be much more appealing to a hipster perspective, whereas London is more about Monaco-esque exclusiveness.

If you are strongly socially liberal, I think Berlin would probably be your city of choice. I get the impression the left-leaning millennials who congregate every weekend in Parliament Square to protest Brexit have a great deal of disdain for London.

Last edited by CTDominion; 09-17-2016 at 02:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World