Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington vs Berlin
Washington DC 16 44.44%
Berlin 20 55.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I used to live in DC suburbs, and these were my observations;
During the day time DC is pretty vibrant - all restaurants/caffees are open, but comes 5 o'clock, all the white colors - (government workers and what's not) are leaving for their suburbia, then everything - all these wonderful restaurants and stores are closing down, the city becomes dead and then the poor, the destitute, the homeless - mostly the Black people, start flooding the city. The only exception was Georgetown - pretty nice district, it stayed open fairly late for shopping, promenades and so on.

Tell me Berlin is nothing like that and I'll gladly vote for it.
I've only visited as a tourists, but it doesn't seem like a 9-5 city, nor a poor city. Seemed busy enough in the center though not to the extent of Berlin. DC is somewhat more black (48%) than white (36%) but all the whites are commuters isn't accurate (and plenty of the black population is, too).

There's something about DC, maybe because it's so dominated by government that feels a bit sterile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 04:53 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,429,771 times
Quote:
I used to live in DC suburbs, and these were my observations;
During the day time DC is pretty vibrant - all restaurants/caffees are open, but comes 5 o'clock, all the white colors - (government workers and what's not) are leaving for their suburbia, then everything - all these wonderful restaurants and stores are closing down, the city becomes dead and then the poor, the destitute, the homeless - mostly the Black people, start flooding the city. The only exception was Georgetown - pretty nice district, it stayed open fairly late for shopping, promenades and so on.

Tell me Berlin is nothing like that and I'll gladly vote for it.
this is becoming less and less the case with DC. Sure there are still a lot of homeless people but the city is going through mass gentrification, even Anacostia is improving. My sister goes to GW and outside of a few major parks the homeless issue is going down. Also many blacks also live in the suburbs and transit to the city in the day, it's not completely segregated

Old 09-19-2016, 09:32 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
Better to Live - DC/Visit- DC
-More Vibrant- DC during the day
-Best Cuisine- Berlin
-More Entertaining- Berlin
-More Beautiful Scenery- DC
-Best Location- DC
-Nicer Shopping Options -Berlin
-More Manageable - LOL definitely DC
-More Historical - Berlin
-Best Districts - DC
-More Interesting - DC
-More International/Global - DC
-More Powerful -DC
-More Optimistic Future -DC

I'm a little biased seeing as DC is my favorite city in the world, but my grandmother/mom's side of the family all originated from Berlin(Dahlem to be specific) so I have a connection with both cities.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:39 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
this is becoming less and less the case with DC. Sure there are still a lot of homeless people but the city is going through mass gentrification, even Anacostia is improving. My sister goes to GW and outside of a few major parks the homeless issue is going down. Also many blacks also live in the suburbs and transit to the city in the day, it's not completely segregated
And with this gentrification - what happens to those with low/no income? Where do they all go?

Old 09-20-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
And with this gentrification - what happens to those with low/no income? Where do they all go?
elsewhere. Probably Baltimore, they'll be fine. The point is the DC metro area is going to be clean and shiny like it's already becoming

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
elsewhere. Probably Baltimore, they'll be fine. The point is the DC metro area is going to be clean and shiny like it's already becoming
So more are shipped in this direction from "clean and shiny" DC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEaY9R-_Ik

And you are saying they'll be fine?

Okkkkaayyyy....

For now I am watching this, happening in different location, BUT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3dmfgNW7wQ

Old 09-21-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
So more are shipped in this direction from "clean and shiny" DC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSEaY9R-_Ik

And you are saying they'll be fine?

Okkkkaayyyy....

For now I am watching this, happening in different location, BUT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3dmfgNW7wQ
1. Not all of Baltimore looks like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgAOXdydq5M

2. What was the point of posting that video haha? Charlotte has absolutely nothing to do with DC yet alone Baltimore. It's actually consistently ranked as one of the best cities for African Americans and has a large and growing black middle class. OK so they have one bad protest, that doesn't take away from the fact that the city actually has good race relations and it's a super clean city with businesses flooding to the metro every year.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
1. Not all of Baltimore looks like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgAOXdydq5M

Oh I'm sure it doesn't, but somehow I suspect that those that are pushed to move to Baltimore as the result of the gentrification of DC are not moving in those nice areas))))

Quote:
2. What was the point of posting that video haha? Charlotte has absolutely nothing to do with DC yet alone Baltimore. It's actually consistently ranked as one of the best cities for African Americans and has a large and growing black middle class. OK so they have one bad protest, that doesn't take away from the fact that the city actually has good race relations and it's a super clean city with businesses flooding to the metro every year.
Oh is it? I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG21q1QuBHA

You might not see any connection with DC or Baltimore, but I sure do.
It's like deja vu all over again.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
[/url]

Oh I'm sure it doesn't, but somehow I suspect that those that are pushed to move to Baltimore as the result of the gentrification of DC are not moving in those nice areas))))

Oh is it? I see.

It's like deja vu all over again
Okay, now I'm lost....what are you even trying to say, what gives you deja vu?
Also okay there is one bad gang in Charlotte so what? Almost every major American city has bad gangs in it, doesn't mean that the majority of the population is subjected to living in the area where the gang resides. The majority of blacks in the Charlotte metro do not live in gang infested areas.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
[/url]

Oh is it? I see.

It's like deja vu all over again.
No Charlotte has a booming economy, it is one of the nicest metro areas in the south for blacks along with Atlanta. Nothing to do with Baltimore or DC. Charlotte is improving, DC is improving, Baltimore is going down the drain. If there was 1 bad city in Russia that had to suffer a little bit for two other cities to prosper you'd support it.

As for the riots, they are all savages from out of town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World