Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Rome 16 45.71%
Istanbul 12 34.29%
Moscow 7 20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 01:14 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I vote for 4th Rome.
So, uh, Helsinki?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 01:15 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The short answer is the refusal to adapt to changing economic conditions in the global environment, the conscious policy to protect in the 1990s-2000s those who became comfortable in the 1970s-1980s at the expense of the upcoming generations, now going on a third.

They've been talking about reform since the late 1980s, but over the past 25 years or so they have done only a lot of talking and a little bit of tinkering around the edges.

Now going on three lost generations, I don't see how that is easily reversed. You?

The latest reform proposal not only does not address any pertinent economic issue (again, again, again), it actually appears retrograde politically and polls suggest that "no" will win.

I will be voting no.

Anyway, perhaps you should have started another thread. But, then again, no.

Good Luck!
Well, those who became comfortable in the 1970s and 1980s (which I assume you mean people whose working years were in those decades) got hit pretty hard recently and might not be as strong of a political presence going forward.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:27 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,020,583 times
Voted Istanbul because why not, as of April 2020 going to both Rome or Moscow is science fiction and it's even debatable if these cities will be a thing in the future given their economies and the crisis now.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:40 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, those who became comfortable in the 1970s and 1980s (which I assume you mean people whose working years were in those decades) got hit pretty hard recently and might not be as strong of a political presence going forward.
True, but who's left to take their place? Those scrambling to gather their last resources to save what's left of them?

Exaggeration of course, but even I was surprised at the steepness of Italy's decline since 2011, then this.

Still, I wish them the best, I really do.

Anyway, looks like I ain't going to Moscow or returning to Rome or Istanbul anytime soon, and at any rate I don't have much time left. Another lifetime maybe.

Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2020, 05:43 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
[quote=OyCrumbler;45617743]The term Second Rome has been used to refer to Istanbul (back then, Constantinople) and Third Rome to Moscow due to its prominence for the Byzantine Orthodox Church after Constantinople had fallen to the Turks.

Criteria is open to interpretation, but would like to know:

- What are your experiences with each of these?
Rome: Visited, August 2008. Saw primary historical sights, though was with a cruise tour. I was very impressed at the beauty within the city but didn't have a lot of time.

Istanbul: Visited, August 2008. Similar circumstances to the Rome visit. Perhaps, got to engage a bit more with city aspects (markets, waterfront, primary street) rather than just sights.

Moscow: Never visited, but I was in St. Petersburg, June 2005, and June 2017. Both visits were also with a cruise (visiting Russia is more difficult in general). Saw major sights which were beautiful, also visited Mayakovskaya Metro Station, which is where I believe you would board a train to Moscow.

- Which of these would you rather visit? Why? Moscow of course, as I haven't yet been. A potential dream trip of mine would be to hike one of the "seven summits", Mount Elbrus on the Russia/Georgia border.. and during that time over there, perhaps also spend some time in Tbilisi/Sochi and of course Moscow, by way of my country of ethnic heritage, Helsinki, Finland.

- Which of these would you rather live in? Why? Rome. It has the highest standard of living, greatest amount of personal and collective freedom, and would likely allow me the most culturally similar lifestyle to what I now have.

- Which one do you like most? Why? Istanbul. It has a dramatic natural setting, exotic history, and design which reflects east and west coming together, an outstanding street and food scene, and just feels like the type of place one would never get bored.

Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
Actually, I like the way Ariete thinks. Helsinki all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World