Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 02:17 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:45 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of movies filmed in or around London, most of Stanley Kubrick's films were shot in the area including 'The Shining' and 'Full Metal Jacket'. Whilst much of the Star Wars Films and Indiana Jones films, Blade Runner etc were also shot in England. As were the Batman films and even the special effects for films such as Gravity were largely due to the work of British Studios. Elstree even has a stage named after George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg also talks in glowing terms about the studio. Both Leavesden owned by Warner Bros and Pinewood are currently undergoing massive expansion, with Pinewood set to double in size in coming years.
It's amazing to see just how many Hollywood films are actually filmed around the London area. Obviously James Bond is made in the area, but what's more surprising to many is the strong link with Star Wars. Every single Star Wars film has been made in the UK, which explains why so many of the leading actors and extras are British. A lot of recent blockbusters have been filmed and produced in the area, such as Gravity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fast and Furious 6, etc

Although it would be nice if the money generated would be funneling into producing more British films.

EDIT: I realize that you've already mentioned most of this :P

Last edited by Razza94; 10-04-2016 at 03:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 03:00 PM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
It's amazing to see just how many Hollywood films are actually filmed around the London area. Obviously JameS Bond is made in the area, but what's more surprising to many is the strong link with Star Wars. Every single Star Wars film has been made in the UK, which explains why so many of the leading actors and extras are British. A lot of recent blockbusters have been filmed and produced in the area, such as Gravity, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fast and Furious 6, etc

Although it would be nice if the money generated would be funneling into producing more British films.

EDIT: I realize that you've already mentioned most of this :P

The young Americans Lucas and Spielberg were not the only ones drawn to the UK back in the 1970's, a young puppeteer called Jim Henson who was already known for Sesame Street created a show called The Muppets aimed at young and old alike rather than just children, sadly his two early pilot episodes in 1974 and 1975 failed to get the attention of network executives in the US.

It was at this point that British Producer Lew Grade, saw the show and contacted Henson, with a view to producing the show for ATV a Franchise of the British ITV Channel.

The show was first Broadcast in 1976 at Elstree Studios near London, and over 120 episodes had been made there by 1981, and the show went on to become a Global Hit being exported all over the world including to the US itself.

It's also the reason that many British Stars appeared on the Muppet Show, along with Hollywood Stars, who were either filiming in the UK or had flown to London especially to be on the show.

The Muppet Show - Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-04-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,372 times
Quote:
The young Americans at the Lucas and Spielberg were not the only ones drawn to the UK back in the 1970's, a young puppeteer called Jim Henson who was already known for Sesame Street created a show called The Muppets aimed at young and old alike rather than just children, sadly his two early pilot episodes in 1974 and 1975 failed to get the attention of network executives in the US.

It was at this point that British Producer Lew Grade, saw the show and contacted Henson, with a view to producing the show for ATV a Franchise of the British ITV Channel.

The show was first Broadcast in 1976 at Elstree Studios near London, and over 120 episodes had been made there by 1981, and the show went on to become a Global Hit being exported all over the world including to the US itself.

It's also the reason that many British Stars appeared on the Muppet Show, along with Hollywood Stars, who were either filiming in the UK or had flown to London especially to be on the show.

The Muppet Show - Wiki
I often wonder if American audiences caught on to the fact that it was filmed in the UK, the large number of British guests surely gave it away xD

Old 10-04-2016, 03:26 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,002 times
Quote:

The young Americans Lucas and Spielberg were not the only ones drawn to the UK back in the 1970's, a young puppeteer called Jim Henson who was already known for Sesame Street created a show called The Muppets aimed at young and old alike rather than just children, sadly his two early pilot episodes in 1974 and 1975 failed to get the attention of network executives in the US.

The Muppet Show - Wiki
Wow, never knew that!

Old 10-05-2016, 01:33 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
The problem with London is that the richest areas (Belgravia, Kensington) are practically ghost towns, as many of the owners are super-rich foreigners.

Belgravia is a ghost town, complains top chef Anton Mosimann’s wife - Telegraph

I think NYC is more important than London in terms of entertainment (movies, comedy, TV) and fashion.
Movies, comedy and TV???? How exactly? Bradford obviously has a much larger entertainment industry than New York, after all there is the Odean AND Bradford City Football Club.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Your milking the joke now easthome. Time to put it to bed.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:23 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You just won City-Data! We can all finally go home!
Yeah, I mean that's what every thread and conversation on city-data comparing America and Europe boil down to.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:34 AM

274 posts, read 252,612 times
Not sure how to objectively quantify that. However, I've NEVER heard London referred to as a "s***hole". It may well be, but I've never been to London so I can't say. I have been to NYC, though...

Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,182,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
Not sure how to objectively quantify that. However, I've NEVER heard London referred to as a "s***hole". It may well be, but I've never been to London so I can't say. I have been to NYC, though...
It is the anus of Europe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World