Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 01:49 PM

27,426 posts, read 13,666,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
Let's be purest and speak German. That was the root language for the original "English" language.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...to_Old_English
Except that there were four distinctly different dialects of old English and Old English is very very different to modern English.

Quote:

Old English was divided into four dialects: the Anglian dialects, Mercian and Northumbrian, and the Saxon dialects, Kentish and West Saxon.

Through the educational reforms of King Alfred in the ninth century and the influence of the kingdom of Wessex, the West Saxon dialect became the standard written variety.

The epic poem Beowulf is written in West Saxon, and the earliest English poem, Cædmon's Hymn, is written in Northumbrian.

Modern English developed mainly from Mercian, but the Scots language developed from Northumbrian. A few short inscriptions from the early period of Old English were written using a runic script.

By the sixth century, a Latin alphabet was adopted, written with half-uncial letterforms. It included the runic letters wynn <ƿ> and thorn <þ>, and the modified Latin letters eth <ð>, and ash <æ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 02:04 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,138,036 times
I'm messing with the OP.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:11 PM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,788 times
I just watched a history documentary that was about John Lackland and the possibility that he would have won against King Philip, basically telling that now England would rule over France, yet speaking old French like John and his brother Richard did.

If William had not conquered England back in the 11th century, you guys would still speak some kind of German anyway.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:29 PM

20 posts, read 15,503 times
Interesting, and on a good path here. It's also why Americans can't measure properly - they stayed with what was current at the time, and the rest of the world moved in different ways. These things happen during big upheavals.

I also wonder about the influence of the very large German migration into the US during the 19th century. Every time I visit, the food and surnames all have familiar German elements about them, especially the sweet sweet pastry. Mmm pastry.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:39 PM

27,426 posts, read 13,666,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post
Interesting, and on a good path here. It's also why Americans can't measure properly - they stayed with what was current at the time, and the rest of the world moved in different ways. These things happen during big upheavals.

I also wonder about the influence of the very large German migration into the US during the 19th century. Every time I visit, the food and surnames all have familiar German elements about them, especially the sweet sweet pastry. Mmm pastry.
LOL - The Americans have us Brits to blame again in terms of measurements.

Imperial Units - Wiki

Metric System - Wiki

Old 10-06-2016, 05:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,443,633 times
Quote:
Let's be purest and speak German. That was the root language for the original "English" language.
Well technically that would be proto-West Germanic. If we could get Frisia, Schlesvig-Holstein, and the rest of the fishheads on board it's a go.

If not, I'd settle for Northumbrian. Screw that Wessex crap. "Ohhh, I'm Alfred. Look at me, I burnt my cakes!" Pathetic.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:38 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,090,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post

German is the largest ancestry in the Midwest. The Midwest sets the standard for American English. The Germans birthed English. Therefore, General American is the purest form of English

This is obviously a joke as General American has little to no German influence.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:42 PM

14,402 posts, read 11,837,219 times
Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...to_Old_English
Well, sort of. Modern English and modern German have a common ancestor, as this chart shows. That does not mean English comes from German, but that both it and German are "Germanic" languages.
Attached Thumbnails
No, the English don't speak the "purest" form of English-germanic.png  

Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
German is the largest ancestry in the Midwest. The Midwest sets the standard for American English. The Germans birthed English. Therefore, General American is the purest form of English

This is obviously a joke as General American has little to no German influence.
Ooohhh I'm not sure. Some of the directness in speech (especially my Wisconsin friends) reminds me of German and Dutch friends here. Why fluff around when you can just be blunt, in few words? Then wonder why others take offense. Definitely German!

Old 10-06-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
LOL - The Americans have us Brits to blame again in terms of measurements.

Imperial Units - Wiki

Metric System - Wiki
Well think of spelling - what was current at the time is what the Americans generally kept, while the rest of the English world moved on.
Measurement is the same - we moved on, while the society built on a strong story of rebellion and "we can be by ourselves and make it" didn't see the need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World