Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 06:20 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,090,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post
Ooohhh I'm not sure. Some of the directness in speech (especially my Wisconsin friends) reminds me of German and Dutch friends here. Why fluff around when you can just be blunt, in few words? Then wonder why others take offense. Definitely German!
Wisconsin isn't considered to be a state where General American is spoken much. It is classed as North Central/Upper Midwest English which deviates a lot from General American. That's more central Iowa or Indiana / Ohio (not Cleveland) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 05:30 AM

27,432 posts, read 13,666,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post
Well think of spelling - what was current at the time is what the Americans generally kept, while the rest of the English world moved on.
Measurement is the same - we moved on, while the society built on a strong story of rebellion and "we can be by ourselves and make it" didn't see the need to.

British Imperial Measurements are what the US still uses rather than the French Metric System.

The UK had to covert some measurements to metric to meet EU Rules.

British Imperial Meaurements include pounds and ounces, the pint, gill and gallon, inches and feet, acres and furlongs and numerous other such measurements. So it's basically what the US still mainly uses today.

Imperial Units - Wiki

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-07-2016 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2016, 07:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,172,919 times
I believe that the Asian Call Centers will in time be considered to speak the "purest" form of English...have I been able to successfully answer your question?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:27 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,092,568 times
As the English ARE English I suggest that however it is they speak English its the 'purest' form of English there is!! You simply can't BE English and not speak English!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:33 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,935,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I believe that the Asian Call Centers will in time be considered to speak the "purest" form of English...have I been able to successfully answer your question?

LoL they speak horrible English often stick to a script and generally have poor people skills by Western standards(empathy and being sociable is a foreign concept for them). If a company wants to lose my business they are on the right tract by directing me to an Asian call center.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:06 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,353,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
LoL they speak horrible English often stick to a script and generally have poor people skills by Western standards(empathy and being sociable is a foreign concept for them). If a company wants to lose my business they are on the right tract by directing me to an Asian call center.
The best part is the constant use of the word "actually".

Old 10-07-2016, 10:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,443,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
As the English ARE English I suggest that however it is they speak English its the 'purest' form of English there is!! You simply can't BE English and not speak English!
Ahh, but which English speak the purest English? My guess would put it somewhere in West Yorkshire...

Old 10-07-2016, 10:30 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,090,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The English can't even agree on what the proper way of speaking English is! Do you think it's all spoken like the Royal Family?

Old 10-07-2016, 11:51 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,935,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
The best part is the constant use of the word "actually".
I have come across that I will also refrain from being specific, but even some of the most pleasing English words sound horrendous when spoken with some accents and couple that the inability of most of these folks inability to understand Americanisms and zero sense of humour.(I refuse to utilize Asian call centers).

Old 10-07-2016, 07:36 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,304,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Aside from London and thereabouts, I don't understand UK accents as well as I do with most American accents.
So true.

Some northern England accents are so tough to decifer
movies filmed there sometimes need subtitles.

Good example is 1969 movie "Kes" , set in Barnsley near Leeds,
great little film but really difficult to undestand the actors.

Even the thickest southern US drawl is way easier to understand.

Canadian English is imo the purest spoken english,
purer than US, no dropped t's and g's ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World