Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2016, 05:52 AM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
Reputation: 6391

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Not to mention there are dialects within miles of London that deviate from RP far more radically than the dialects of American English.
Yep. Even some varieties of Australian English sound a lot like RP than Estuary or Cockney. We don't have to go as far as Yorkshire and Geordie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
So true.

Some northern England accents are so tough to decifer
movies filmed there sometimes need subtitles.

Good example is 1969 movie "Kes" , set in Barnsley near Leeds,
great little film but really difficult to undestand the actors.

Even the thickest southern US drawl is way easier to understand.

Canadian English is imo the purest spoken english,
purer than US, no dropped t's and g's ....
But how do you define pure? American English in its dictionary form, AKA GenAm AKA "Midwest Standard" doesn't have dropped t's or g's either and is phonetically identical to the dictionary.

How is Canadian pure when they seem to have forgotten some vowels? They merge cot with caught and merry with marry. How is that pure when you just forget how certain words sound and just replace them with others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 06:22 AM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,454 posts, read 7,278,940 times
Reputation: 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
But how do you define pure? American English in its dictionary form, AKA GenAm AKA "Midwest Standard" doesn't have dropped t's or g's either and is phonetically identical to the dictionary.

How is Canadian pure when they seem to have forgotten some vowels? They merge cot with caught and merry with marry. How is that pure when you just forget how certain words sound and just replace them with others?
Speaking ...not written....just my opinion ...I didn't mean spelling in a dictionary

When speaking, I find Canadians to be more precise in their pronunciation that most Americans.

You may not agree, everyone has their own opinion.

As for vowels....don't get me started on that....

US Great Lakes vowel shift....o's pronounced like a's ....all kinds of crazy stuff that apparently started
some 60 or 70 years ago and is increasing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,538,736 times
Reputation: 4438
By stating that you think Americans have retained the 'purest' form of English because it adopted and retained (as if it's even similar to the form spoken a few hundred years ago WITHIN the USA) the form that arrived with colonialism, you're assuming the language was static up until that point. Language is always evolving. There is no standard English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The English can't even agree on what the proper way of speaking English is! Do you think it's all spoken like the Royal Family?

I know EXACLTY how English is spoken on this sceptered isle, I live here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 10:45 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
By stating that you think Americans have retained the 'purest' form of English because it adopted and retained (as if it's even similar to the form spoken a few hundred years ago WITHIN the USA) the form that arrived with colonialism, you're assuming the language was static up until that point. Language is always evolving. There is no standard English.
No. Where did I say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 10:48 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I know EXACLTY how English is spoken on this sceptered isle, I live here!
And so you'd agree that there is no one agreed upon way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,063,318 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Speaking ...not written....just my opinion ...I didn't mean spelling in a dictionary

When speaking, I find Canadians to be more precise in their pronunciation that most Americans.

You may not agree, everyone has their own opinion.

As for vowels....don't get me started on that....

US Great Lakes vowel shift....o's pronounced like a's ....all kinds of crazy stuff that apparently started
some 60 or 70 years ago and is increasing.
The Great Lakes Vowel Shift isn't what I refer to. It certainly isn't General American. I agree with you on that one. But for what it's worth, the Canadian Vowel Shift is doing the exact same thing of shifting vowels to other places, just not for A or O. And Canadians with their odd vowel shift also have gotten rid of vowels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 02:43 PM
 
Location: SE UK
14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Reputation: 9813
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
And so you'd agree that there is no one agreed upon way?

I simply said that whatever accent comes out of any Englishman's mouth makes no difference to the fact that what they speak is 'pure English', being English means it can't be any other way, ANYBODY that thinks that 'their' particular accent is 'pure English' or 'Proper English' are just misguided. It makes me laugh when I hear an American call a Midwest (or whatever) accent 'neutral'! To me it sounds like a strong accent, it also made me laugh when earlier a Canadian complained that some English films needs subtitles because of the accents yet somehow doesn't understand that some American accents are just as hard to understand to anybody that isn't in North America!!! I say all Canadian films should be with English accents or else at least have the decency to have subtitles so that I can understand them! (see what I did there? See how stupid that sounds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Reputation: 1650
We should all be speaking sanskrit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top