Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2016, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,502 posts, read 6,323,353 times
Reputation: 3761

Advertisements

What do you guys mean with vowel shift ? I assumed there would be cases in which "a" would actually sound like "o", like in "walk" for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2016, 10:24 AM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,091,770 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
What do you guys mean with vowel shift ? I assumed there would be cases in which "a" would actually sound like "o", like in "walk" for instance.
Examples of accents from the US that are geographically close to each other (or close to Canada) but because of the Vowel Shifts therein, the following words are homophonous in the OTHER dialects:

New York pronunciation of "God" = Boston pronunciation of "guard"
Boston pronunciation of "heart" = New York pronunciation of "hot"
Minnesota pronunciation of "cot" = Canadian pronunciation of "cat"
Minnesota pronunciation of "rot" = Canadian pronunciation of "rat"
Minnesota pronunciation of "caught" = Boston pronunciation of "cart"
New York pronunciation of "top" = Boston pronunciation of "tarp"
Boston pronunciation of "cart" = Canadian pronunciation of "cat"
Canadian pronunciation of "cot" = New York pronunciation of "cart"
Minnesota pronunciation of "walk" = New York pronunciation of "wok"
Canadian pronunciation of "caught" = Minnesota pronunciation of "cut"

The above only apply to "Canadian Vowel Shift" speakers. They are of course listed in the "extreme" examples of each the pronunciation of each respective locale.

Minnesota shares the short O pronunciation with New York (where it sounds like a Canadian short A). Minnesota and SOME speakers of Boston also share full Canadian Raising with Canada. New York only has Canadian Raising on long I vowels.

Also...Minnesota, Boston, and Canada all pronounce caught and cot the same way but neither pronounces them like each other. A Canadian says them and a Minnesotan hears "cut". A Minnesotan says them and a Canadian hears "cat". A Bostonian says them and both the Canadian and Minnesotan says "what?"

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-09-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2016, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,379 posts, read 5,552,097 times
Reputation: 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
No. Where did I say that?
I think I misinterpreted what you originally wrote.

At any rate, I still think any place accusing another place of having incorrect language doesn't make sense, since there was never some standard 'starting place' for any given language in terms of spelling, pronunciation, or accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2016, 07:48 PM
 
76 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 84
There really is no correct form of english. What I have noticed online is that Britons always seem to have perfect grammar, spelling and a good choice of words except when they say innit whereas Americans are more likely to make grammatical errors and have a much more basic choice of words. Of course I am being really general here and I have seen Americans with decent grammar but this is what I've observed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 PM
 
4,792 posts, read 6,091,770 times
Reputation: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
There really is no correct form of english. What I have noticed online is that Britons always seem to have perfect grammar, spelling and a good choice of words except when they say innit whereas Americans are more likely to make grammatical errors and have a much more basic choice of words. Of course I am being really general here and I have seen Americans with decent grammar but this is what I've observed.
I feel like the Cockney have some of the worst grammar. Also East Anglia. "I weren't" like wtf does that mean???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 03:30 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,824 posts, read 12,096,745 times
Reputation: 9819
There is no such thing as 'bad English' or 'bad grammer' there is no right or wrong way to speak English only regional variations, anybody that thinks their way of speaking is somehow the 'correct way' of speaking are seriously misguided, isn't the Oxford English Dictionary supposed to be the ideology of correct English? But even that means that somebody somewhere (whoever decided it is the 'standard' of English we are all supposed to aspire to) is being pretentious, innit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Seymour, CT
3,639 posts, read 3,354,436 times
Reputation: 3089
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
There is no such thing as 'bad English' or 'bad grammer' there is no right or wrong way to speak English only regional variations, anybody that thinks their way of speaking is somehow the 'correct way' of speaking are seriously misguided, isn't the Oxford English Dictionary supposed to be the ideology of correct English? But even that means that somebody somewhere (whoever decided it is the 'standard' of English we are all supposed to aspire to) is being pretentious, innit?
I stopped reading right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 05:32 PM
 
76 posts, read 56,480 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I feel like the Cockney have some of the worst grammar. Also East Anglia. "I weren't" like wtf does that mean???
I haven't visited the UK although I would like to visit it someday. I've heard some cockney sounding folks with bad grammar though. My understanding is that accents and the ability to speak correct and proper english vary among the different social and economic classes there. The posh aristocrats have excellent grammar and speak the queen's english. On the other end the lower class and chavy folks are more likely to make grammatical errors.The middle class is somewhere in between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2016, 07:43 PM
 
Location: Østenfor sol og vestenfor måne
17,916 posts, read 24,450,661 times
Reputation: 39040
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I stopped reading right here.
Because of a single spelling error?

Well, we all must have our standards, however obtuse.

On the other hand, the grammar needed some work :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2016, 06:18 AM
 
Location: SE UK
14,824 posts, read 12,096,745 times
Reputation: 9819
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Because of a single spelling error?

Well, we all must have our standards, however obtuse.

On the other hand, the grammar needed some work :-)
There is nothing wrong with my grammar, whatever I say AND however I say it is PURE English, the people around me speak the same way, they speak PURE English too, HOWEVER, we are not arrogant enough to suggest that the English we speak is 'proper English', the English spoken by our Geordie, Scouse or Brummy friends is also PURE English because as they are English they also speak PURE English, HOWEVER this doesn't mean that somebody in Chicago, Wellington or Sydney don't speak 'correct' English because they ALL do, nobody should be arrogant enough to proclaim their way of speaking is the correct way of speaking and that includes the Queen :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top