Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:09 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Oh give me a break. I've lived in London, Edinburgh, and LA. London is the only global city in the UK. Edinburgh is lovely and charming. It's also extremely beautiful. However, it's small and often times boring. Not to mention that the weather is ghastly.

London is sensational. Everyone knows that.

LA & SF are also very prominent world class cities that put everything in the UK (minus London) to shame. You simply can't compare them with the likes of Edinburgh or Bristol or Glasgow, etc.

Oxford and Cambridge are nice, but are also small, boring, and basically revolve around their respective unis. Not exactly electrifying world cities with nightlife rivaling Ibiza or Miami.
I agree.

There are bigger UK cities you didn't mention though.

Birmingham ...1.1 million....metro 3.7 million
Glasgow .....600,000. ....metro 2.3 million
Manchester ....550,000 ....metro 2.7 million
Liverpool ....480,000 .....metro 2.2 million

Not world class but still interesting fairly large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
What are you talking about? It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a lot of Americans are.
That's nice, but I'm not American. I'm German.

Have been all over the UK, many times, from hiking in Wales to the Scottish Highlands, to practically every corner of England. There are no major cities outside of London.
Quote:
Edinburgh is a very desirable city, so are Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Manchester and Liverpool are also resurging into excellent cities.
No, none of these cities are major global cities comparable to LA and SF. Not even close.

The best city you mentioned, Edinburgh, is no more than a mid-sized city of minimal importance. It doesn't even have close to the economy or wealth or population of a minor CA metro like Sacramento.

Oxbridge are small university towns, Bristol is of no particular note. Manchester and Liverpool are larger regional cities with little global image or appeal. At absolute best they're British versions of Cincinnati or Indianapolis or Kansas City.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Also the breach between London and San Francisco is vastly larger than anything between SF and Manchester.
Not in terms of economy, wealth or population. The Bay Area is a powerhouse. If it were in Europe only London and Paris would be bigger metros or bigger economies.

And, in any case, that wasn't the claim. The claim was that cities like Manchester and Bristol (!) were somehow comparable to LA and SF. Bristol is like a UK version of Oklahoma City or Jacksonville.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:17 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
What many people ignore and gloss over is that the USA gdp is much higher than most European countries. California is 10th in per capita gdp of the US states but has by far the largest population of any US state. California has been an economic powerhouse for decades and most impressively has been their contribution to tech development.
Definitely an economic powerhouse.

You're right about California population being far greater than any other state.

California has over 11 percent of the entire US population.

In fact a higher population than 27 of the lowest population states and DC combined!

Old 10-08-2016, 01:19 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And, in any case, that wasn't the claim. The claim was that cities like Manchester and Bristol (!) were somehow comparable to LA and SF. Bristol is like a UK version of Oklahoma City or Jacksonville.
The word used was desirable not comparable. My answers were in reference to that initial description.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:23 AM

Quote:
The word used was desirable not comparable. My answers were in reference to that initial description.
Then what's your point? There are subjectively desirable places in every corner of the globe. Yes, plenty of people think Leeds and Bradford are fine places to live. And?

If we aren't making comparisons, there's no point to this entire thread, which is nothing but relative comparisons between UK and CA.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:42 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant a lot of Americans are.
Edinburgh is a very desirable city, so are Oxford, Cambridge and Bristol. Manchester and Liverpool are also resurging into excellent cities.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh by Oscar F. Hevia, on Flickr

Golden Edinburgh by Kirsty McWhirter, on Flickr

Union Canal by Chris Johnston, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - April 2015 #18 by swami666, on Flickr

Edinburgh by michael_hamburg69, on Flickr

Arthurs Seat - August 2014 #1 by swami666, on Flickr
I wish I had chosen Edinburgh as a destination instead of London last year.

Old 10-08-2016, 03:44 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 9 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
That's nice, but I'm not American. I'm German.

Have been all over the UK, many times, from hiking in Wales to the Scottish Highlands, to practically every corner of England. There are no major cities outside of London.

No, none of these cities are major global cities comparable to LA and SF. Not even close.

The best city you mentioned, Edinburgh, is no more than a mid-sized city of minimal importance. It doesn't even have close to the economy or wealth or population of a minor CA metro like Sacramento.

Oxbridge are small university towns, Bristol is of no particular note. Manchester and Liverpool are larger regional cities with little global image or appeal. At absolute best they're British versions of Cincinnati or Indianapolis or Kansas City.
As someone who lives in the UK, it should be noted that UK Cities are often very closely bunched together, for instance Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds and Sheffield or Nottingham, Birmingham, Coventry, Edinburgh and Glasgow or indeed Bristol, Cardiff and Swansea etc.

What you get in the UK is regional economies rather than city economies, and talk of the Midlands as an economic powerhouse or the Northern Powerhouse, which is something that is very much on the current political agenda.

In the US you have far fewer cities bunched together only thirty or forty miles from each other, due to the sheer size of the country when compared to the UK.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:06 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

OMG, it's terrifying how stupid some American politicians are. And the average John Doe is even dumber.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:23 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Quote:
True, but the UK really only has one desirable city; CA has many.

CA has two world class cities (and San Diego isn't far behind), UK only has London.
Erm, Edinburgh, Manchester, Liverpool!!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World