Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 AM

26,889 posts, read 38,189,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
I think it is so hilarious that people think most Canadians speak french.It's like why doesn't Carly Rae Jepsen sing in French? Don't most all francophone Canadians live in Quebec?
It's true that French is very much a minority language in Canada, but it's a difference that stands out so that's why many people think of it when they think of Canada.

It still predominates over close to one quarter of the country as well. Over a pretty large area.

I am living in it here and while I am on the southwestern border of French Canada (English-speaking Canada basically begins 10 minutes southwest from here), I can still go in several other directions and drive for 10-15 hours without leaving predominantly French speaking areas at all.

Last edited by Acajack; 10-15-2016 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 05:23 AM

27,428 posts, read 13,666,065 times
Popular miconception about the British relate to Bad Teeth, Our Food and Tea.

Yes we do enjoy a cup of tea but there are also a vast amount of coffee outlets and chains in the UK.

Britain now a nation of coffee drinkers as tea sales plunge - Telegraph

No time for tea? How Britain became a nation of coffee drinkers - The Guardian

Coffee in the UK: How Britain became addicted to cafe culture | The Independent

In terms of food, we enjoy food from across the globe, curry and spicy food is very popular in the UK, as is food from across the globe, we are indeed culinary magpies very much like the Americans and have taken food we like from across the globe and incorportating in a culinary fusion with more traditional foods.

Let’s eat together: how immigration made British food great - The Guardian

Burritos with everything as Britain falls for Mexican food - The Guardian

BBC Food - Curry: Where did it come from?

In terms of our teeth, British teeth are no worse than American teeth according to recent studies.

The myth of bad British teeth - BBC News

Americans do not have better teeth than the British, study concludes - Telegraph

British teeth no worse than American, says study - CNN.com

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-15-2016 at 05:47 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 05:31 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,788 times
About the French:

* everyone civilized lives in Paris, the rest is just cows and farms and a few nice villages here and there
* We don't bathe and we are dirty
* The average person on the street can quote philosophers effortlessly
* we are afraid of wars
* we are very good in the seduction field ( I wish...)
* fidelity is unheard of
* we can not speak any foreign language and want everyone else to speak French

Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,807,585 times
About Mexico:

1. That everyone is dark skinned and people freak out when they meet a White or tall Mexican( have seen it too many times).
2. That everything we eat is spicy and that Mexican food is unhealthy.
3. That Mexico is either a dusty border town or jungle.
4. That the Aztecs are always referred to for any Native American relation to Mexico. We all aren't related to them (I'm not) and there are many ethnic groups and languages.
5. That all of Mexico has fallen apart and is a war zone/black hole due to the drug wars. The country is surprisingly prospering in many ways, problems and all.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:36 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
About the French:

* everyone civilized lives in Paris, the rest is just cows and farms and a few nice villages here and there
* we are afraid of wars
* fidelity is unheard of
Lol!

Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,490,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
About the French:

* we are afraid of wars
* fidelity is unheard of
I think another common one is that all French guys are romantic.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:33 PM

76 posts, read 56,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
You hear a lot of different opinions of the U.S.A that it is hard to keep track, many of them are on point, many of them are kind of unbelievable to hear.
I can definitely feel for you there. Some of the generalizations are accurate.Some are true for a significant minority of people and some are just outrageous. I often hear the "sewer hole full of obesity and gun violence" one. There is some truth to that but it depends on which state you live in. I also hear the "no culture and no history" one. Doesn't every place have a culture? The no history one has always confused me. I mean 240 years is a short history but it is still history. I mean why do we have take a US history class in school? I've heard them all before.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM

76 posts, read 56,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's true that French is very much a minority language in Canada, but it's a difference that stands out so that's why many people think of it when they think of Canada.

It still predominates over close to one quarter of the country as well. Over a pretty large area.

I am living in it here and while I am on the southwestern border of French Canada (English-speaking Canada basically begins 10 minutes southwest from here), I can still go in several other directions and drive for 10-15 hours without leaving predominantly French speaking areas at all.
Is it true that you have to be bilingual to work for the Canadian govt and armed forces? If it is, I think it's a good idea.

Old 10-15-2016, 03:59 PM

26,889 posts, read 38,189,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graystripe View Post
Is it true that you have to be bilingual to work for the Canadian govt and armed forces? If it is, I think it's a good idea.
Not for all positions, but for a number of them.

Old 10-15-2016, 06:22 PM

7,502 posts, read 6,321,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I think another common one is that all French guys are romantic.
yeah, I was kinda referring it to it with the seduction thing, although to be fair I have a hard time understanding what "romantic" means. I have had foreigners telling me that Paris was very romantic, and when I think of Paris I usually think of this:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World