Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:24 AM

88 posts, read 302,537 times

Advertisements

Vancouver!!
(FYI, I am atrociously biased.)
(and FYI, this is going to be a super long essay...mainly because I've been away from Vancouver for 3 months and miss it sooooooo much)

I'm from Vancouver and I used to hate it as a teenager and couldn't wait to get out of it, but after almost 200 cities & 40 countries around the world (including Australia), I think it's the best city in the world!!

As far as weather is concerned, Vancouver is colder & rains more in winter, but Melbourne's summers are ridiculously hot! Vancouver, however, has stunning summers...it really does feel like heaven!
So it depends, do you hate scorching heat more or cold winters more? Vancouver really isn't that cold in winter. It doesn't snow more than a few times a year. When it does you get to go skiing!

Vancouver is blessed with amazing nature.
The joke is absolutely true: In Vancouver, you CAN go golfing in the morning, go to the beach in the afternoon, and go skiing in the evening.

Fun in nature doesn't end there....rock climbing, trail-hiking, camping, kayaking,..etc. Your kids can have lots of fun in nature. My favorite? House-boating in the Okanagan valley, the house-boat capital of North America. It is ridiculous fun & one of Canadians' fav activities in the summer. Last summer we rented a houseboat with 3 decks, 8 rooms, a jacuzzi, a water-slide, wet bar, 2 BBQs for 3 nights and each of us only paid around $400 (there were 18 of us)....your kids wont ever forget those summers.

School... Canada has a great educational system compared to many parts of the world. University of British Columbia is also the most gorgeous campus I've ever seen... it is 1000 acres and is situated between a huge forest & the Pacific ocean. "Recognized journals such as The Economist, The Time Higher Education Supplement and Newsweek consistently rank UBC among the top 40 universities worldwide."
(source: University of British Columbia - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report (http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/vancouver,-british-columbia-/ubc-CA0015 - broken link))
Of course I can ***** about the flaws of the educational system as much as any other public educational systems...they are all flawed, but overall I am proud of what our educational system gave us.

I have to say I am impressed by how it has taught us to be more open-minded and tolerant about different cultures, povs, perspectives, beliefs, etc. Probably because Canada as a country has British & French parents and American neighbors. In Australia I sensed a very strong presence of (only) the British influence. Even though we are both commonwealth countries, I was surprised by how "British" Oz felt. Whereas in Canada, you feel traces of British, French, and American influences, amongst all other cultures there.

Speaking of multiculturalism, both countries are pretty multicultural-friendly, but I do feel that Canada is more tolerant & open than Oz. Very minute difference though.

I don't know about the benefits from the government for Oz.
Canada has great benefits, even though in recent years we are becoming more liberal (like the States) and we live in the fear of privatizations. However, medical care is great. I've actually been hospitalized a few times and will feel forever gratitude for the Canadian medical care system. I've been in American hospitals and fail to understand how Americans tolerate not being treated as humans by the government. We Canadians are spoiled that way. Kids & seniors also enjoy fantastic benefits (ie. getting $$$ from the government).

The Canadian government I think does a good job. My bro (who majored in political science) analyzed it for me: The fact that we have a great government can be seen by how most Canadians are totally oblivious to the government. We have low voting rates because the legislative system was designed to have 3 equally important branches run the country and they keep an eye on each other so nothing ever changes drastically no matter which party is in power. Our lives are just as good. We are oblivious to the government because it does it job serving us in a quiet, unobtrusive manner and nothing will go terribly wrong. If we are very aware of the government it means there are lots of problems; the more oblivious the people are of the government, the more the government's doing its job properly. We have a great social welfare system. Disabled people, seniors, kids are well taken care of. My grandma (god bless her soul) used to love receiving that fat check from the government every month.

This is something minor (not really, but oh well): gender equality. I worked with a team of Ozzies & Canadians one summer, and once we got into this huge, heated discussion about gender equality in Canada & Oz. Based on various observations, our (very unacademic and off-record) conclusion/realization was that in Canada, gender equality is more developed than Oz. I know that's a very controversial assertion, so I won't elaborate. Just my two cents.

People in Vancouver, however, is probably the biggest plus. People are ridiculously friendly. Like it's almost suspicious. My friend from New York used to feel that people smiled at him because they actually wanted to rob him. Um....in Vancouver people always smile at other people for no reason. It's totally normal to wave & say hello to strangers you rub shoulders with just because you want to wish them a good day. Can you blame us? How can you not want to smile when you live in the best city in the world? I realized that when I walk on the streets of Vancouver, I can't help but smile....it happens organically without thinking, just because life there is so beautiful. Even people waiting for the bus can be super friendly.
People in Vancouver are open-minded, very positive, very health-conscious. I've chatted with strangers in coffeeshops multiple times about the importance of keeping a positive mind, living in the moment, staying healthy, living a balanced life-style, etc. I've yet to visit a city as health-conscious as Vancouver.

I can't comment much about the job market cuz I don't know much about Melbourne's job market. I think the job market's good in Vancouver. Most people around me are happy with their jobs. I don't know a lot of people who actually can't find jobs unless they really are real lazy or don't work hard.

The unemployment rate in Vancouver may seem high but it's misleading, because there are A LOT of rich immigrants in Vancouver who are "unemployed" but sit on a lot of money they brought in from other countries or money they saved up. My parents for example are "unemployed" but spend their unemployed days taking cruises, traveling, and enjoying life with their saved up money.... "Unemployment" in Vancouver sometimes means "early retirement." My old neighbors are Americans who immigrated from Hawaii (they swear that Vancouver is more beautiful than Hawaii so they want to retire in Vancouver) and one of them is "unemployed" while the other "works" at a chocolate shop.

Real Estate...I don't think it'll crash after the Olympics...it won't continue growing at such a staggering rate as the past 8 years and will probably stall or slump a little, but there is no way that it will crash. There is no damn way that prices of real estate in 10 years will be lower than what we have now. It will only grow and grow. People say that Vancouver has peaked but I disagree. Vancouver has the potential to be a first-rate North American city, and comparing its real estate prices to comparable cities like San Fran...there's still so much more room to grow. If you put money in Van's real estate and leave it there, you'll only profit in a few years (we're not talking about quick money, but long investment). I'm not sure about Melbourne. I think Vancouver has the potential because sooner or later people will put it in the same categories as the expensive American cities.

The cost of living....i have to admit, is high. Vancouver is the most expensive city in Canada. Real Estate sky-rocketed in the past 8 years. Everything is more expensive. But it's not that bad. If you have a decent job you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think Melbourne's cost of living is that low and I don't think it's worth it in Melbourne. But then again....I'm biased!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Vancouver without a doubt.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
I've chatted with strangers in coffeeshops multiple times about the importance of keeping a positive mind
If a stranger approached me in a coffee shop to lecture me on the importance of keeping a positive mind I'd probably punch him.

Old 12-06-2009, 02:41 PM

342 posts, read 1,926,704 times
I would take Vancouver over Melbourne any day. Vancouver is the best city in Canada. Very modern, very cool, surrounded by lots of great beautiful places. Melbourne is very boring and I don't understand why people like it.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:46 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,361 times
Vancouver > Melbourne

Almost everything about Vancouver is better than Melbourne in my opinion.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
I would take Vancouver over Melbourne any day. Vancouver is the best city in Canada. Very modern, very cool, surrounded by lots of great beautiful places. Melbourne is very boring and I don't understand why people like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456
Vancouver > Melbourne

Almost everything about Vancouver is better than Melbourne in my opinion.
I kind of agree about the point that Melb is such a boring city. I've been living here for almost 4 yrs. It's just too city-centric. But what makes you guys think that Van is better than Melb in every aspect? Have you all been to both Melb & Van b4?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,477 times
Weather sucks in both cities so don't let that be your deciding factor. Both are very cold, exceptionally cloudy, have extremlely fickle summers and have cold rainy winters. Winters last atleast 3/4 of the year in both cities.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:04 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Melbourne is not "very cold" - stop being such a big girl. Sub-artic? Give me a break!

Old 12-10-2009, 01:46 AM

43 posts, read 90,295 times
Melbourne and Vancouver are fairly different but it's nice to compare.

It rains twice as much in Van and is considerably colder in both winter and summer months. Vancouver has around 2 million people while Melbourne is 4 million and is easily Australia's fastest growing city at a rate of about 90-100,000 people per annum.

Vancouver certainly has the edge in natural beauty while Melbourne is one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world. This is evidenced by the huge choice of cuisine.

Melbourne has been an Olympic city and Vancouver is about to join the club, albeit the poor relation games.

Commerce, jobs, affordability, major events, culture and night life you'd give to Melbourne while government, transport, safety, education and liveability is a tie.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM

88 posts, read 302,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
If a stranger approached me in a coffee shop to lecture me on the importance of keeping a positive mind I'd probably punch him.
nah, don't worry. we are like dogs, we'll sniff each other first to discern our own type. no one will approach you about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World