Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 04:18 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UScityUrbanCores View Post
The US keeps changing Presidential Administrations and political Parties that gin the White House and Congress as well. Just Congress changing is less quickly. I see it as a good thing as no one party gains too much power. But the US system ALLOWS States to add its own Laws and adjustments as in Gay Marriage. Generally as more states move that direction. It will go national. But the US is a large enough nation as Canada. To have Regions of the nation have States that due to high Religious practicing conservatives against Gay Marriage. To have these Sates their majority choice over a National Constitutional stand forcing it.

I see nothing wrong with leaving States their overall different perspectives and a nation that allows Religious freedoms to see their perspectives respected or at least Tolerated.

If this is why a overall more Liberal Canada or just on C-D? Could not see merging (per thread topic) of the US and Canada? Then maybe a few here are being intolerant of a Freedom to Religions beliefs? Besides, generally in human history and especially European. Marriage was a RELIGIOUS Bestowed Practice. Only in recent times, especially in Europe. Has Religion lost its historic right to declare a marriage that then when registered with the government. Was legal in both perspectives. Today in most of Europe? A Church (religiously performed) marriage. IS NOT LEGAL ALONE by the government.

In the US and Canada. a registered Clergy. Still can perform a LEGAL Marriage of a man and women by the States, Provinces and Nationally. So that is still a SAME view in Canada ands US. So is this so in Australia. I just DO NOT believe a Church (or any religious organization) should be EVER FORCED to perform a Gay Marriage if religiously they do not agree with it.

I myself accept Gay Marriage but still would say I am Christian in affiliation. But NEVER want a Churched FORCED to perform them. Too many Churches that would anyway. Nor do I want the US to go the European way of NOT RECOGNIZING a REGISTERED Religious marriage. Seeing it as NOT LEGAL TILL A STATE(Government one) is done. There a Church wedding is not legally recognized.
Equal marriage is a human rights issue, not a religious issue. Which doesn't mean it isn't an issue for some churches.

Human rights should not be left up to a popular vote. Racial equality and women's rights haven't and shouldn't.

By having a country where a married gay couple can not get the same rights as straights across the entire country limits their freedom of movement in their OWN country.

Just because a country is large and can accommodate many types is not an excuse for denying citizens their rights.

In Canada no church is forced to perform a ceremony that is against their beliefs, but that is where it ends.

As for the history of marriage, what culture, whose religion? You can find it all. Multiple wives. Cousins marrying etc. I don't believe in getting mired down in what was. Todays society deserves its own traditions to create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We already have issues with illegal guns entering Canada from the US. I also think you underestimate how many US tourists on driving holidays attempt to bring their guns into Canada and plead ignorance.
An open border would see a flood of guns entering Canada with no one to check.

Trust me, Canada does not want to even take the risk and why should we? Our gun laws are as important to us as the right to bear arms is to Americans. Why should we roll over and not the US?

Remember the US has 9 times the population. Whose going to wash over whom?
I do understand your concerns, but I guess I do see some benefit to a North American EU arrangement. Remember that many Canadians may want or benifit from something like this too. One solution to gun issue would be for the border to remain as an inspection point, just to ensure criminals and drug and gun smugglers do not take advantage. Law obiding people would still have free access but would just need to go through a checkpoint. The agreement could be tailored for our North American needs, so it may look a bit different than the EU.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:53 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Yeah, exactly. Australians and their conservative social mores would jive perfectly with Canada. No gay marriage and strict abortion laws would fit Canada like a glove.
Are you aware of how much demand there is for marriage equality in Australia? Laws don't always reflect public sentiment, so you should be careful before making assumptions.

Regardless, you just listed two legal differences. There are far more overall similarities between the two countries – including the attitude on what government's role should be, which Americans differ hugely on.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 11-29-2016 at 08:01 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Americans can already take guns across the border. I know for certain that people transiting to Alaska bring their guns with them. It must be a miracle that they haven't committed multiple mass murders.

Quote:
Non-restricted firearms

Non-restricted firearms generally include most ordinary hunting rifles and shotguns, which are expected to be used for sporting, hunting, and competitions. The gun must meet the following requirements:
  • semi-automatic rifles and shotguns with barrels that are at least 470 mm (18.5 inches) long
  • single-shot or manual repeating rifles and shotguns of any length, as long as they are not designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm (26 inches) by folding, telescoping or other means.
As a visitor, you will need to fill out a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration Form to bring one of these types of firearms into Canada. This counts as a registration certificate and a license to have your guns. Declarations are valid for 60 days, but may be renewed free of charge before expiration. With this form, firearms can also be transported through Canada to another eventual destination.
The Canadian border officer will not make copies of the form for you at the border, so it is recommended that you complete the form before arriving at the border, and make an additional copy of the completed form. It is also imperative that you do not sign the form until you arrive at the border, since it is necessary for a Canadian Customs officer to witness your signature. This license will allow you to buy ammunition in Canada, and to transport up to 200 rounds into the country with you.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:26 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Daniel, I see the advantage of free trade between the U.S. and Canada and perhaps a loosening of work visa requirements.

However, I see big disadvantages and minor advantages in replicating an EU type of arrangement which would create a brand new expensive bureaucracy of UNELECTED officials making decisions affecting both countries (about 33,000 people are employed by the European Commission).

I remember reading a comment about a U.K. minister(?) saying in frustration he spent a lot of his time just reading directives from Brussels.

It would also create new headaches for Canada involving U.S. citizens taking advantage of the Canadian healthcare system. Immigrants from Eastern Europe such as Poland taking advantage of the U.K.'s social safety net is one of the reasons for Brexit.

What big advantages do you see that would offset the disadvantages?

Old 11-29-2016, 10:02 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
This was an interesting thread until it morphed into the hundredth Canada/US merger forum. It's been dicussed so many times it's annoying. It's not going to happen and it's not realistic. Ignore all the cultural aspects, there just aren't enough reasons for it to happen. Both countries are doing great and there is no reason to unite. The majority of people in both countries are happy with the status quo. We are friendly countries and there is no need to unite.

The countries that are most likely to unite are ex-colony countries that had cultural groups split between borders by their colonizer. The East African Federation has real plans on uniting 6 countries. They already have free trade, open borders, and a common passport. They will have a common currency within a few years. It's been work in progress for a few decades, but in the last 5 years things have progressed quickly.

I think the ex-Soviet countries could see some unite in the next couple decades as well, but I don't know those well enough to name them off.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Daniel, I see the advantage of free trade between the U.S. and Canada and perhaps a loosening of work visa requirements.

However, I see big disadvantages and minor advantages in replicating an EU type of arrangement which would create a brand new expensive bureaucracy of UNELECTED officials making decisions affecting both countries (about 33,000 people are employed by the European Commission).

I remember reading a comment about a U.K. minister(?) saying in frustration he spent a lot of his time just reading directives from Brussels.

It would also create new headaches for Canada involving U.S. citizens taking advantage of the Canadian healthcare system. Immigrants from Eastern Europe such as Poland taking advantage of the U.K.'s social safety net is one of the reasons for Brexit.

What big advantages do you see that would offset the disadvantages?
While I agree the EU bureaucracy is inefficient, I don't see 23k (not 33k) employees in a community of 510 million isn't that oversized.

The social benefits don't work like that either in the EU. You cannot simply go to another country and say "give welfare". You have to be a permanent resident in the country and a former tax payer. Healthcare is of course available as it should, but the it's your native or resident country which pays the bill.

The claim that the Polish would leech off the British government is a myth. Several studies show that the guest workers bring way more tax money in the tax coffers than they take from them. Welfare shopping is nonexistant in the EU.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Americans can already take guns across the border. I know for certain that people transiting to Alaska bring their guns with them. It must be a miracle that they haven't committed multiple mass murders.
They are restricted as to what they can bring. Handguns no. Ammunition no. They also won't have the proper documents to buy ammo in Canada. It is a hunk of metal that gets transported.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
This was an interesting thread until it morphed into the hundredth Canada/US merger forum. It's been dicussed so many times it's annoying. It's not going to happen and it's not realistic. Ignore all the cultural aspects, there just aren't enough reasons for it to happen. Both countries are doing great and there is no reason to unite. The majority of people in both countries are happy with the status quo. We are friendly countries and there is no need to unite.

The countries that are most likely to unite are ex-colony countries that had cultural groups split between borders by their colonizer. The East African Federation has real plans on uniting 6 countries. They already have free trade, open borders, and a common passport. They will have a common currency within a few years. It's been work in progress for a few decades, but in the last 5 years things have progressed quickly.

I think the ex-Soviet countries could see some unite in the next couple decades as well, but I don't know those well enough to name them off.
Just spent an evening with a group of Americans. They aren't happy.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I do understand your concerns, but I guess I do see some benefit to a North American EU arrangement. Remember that many Canadians may want or benifit from something like this too. One solution to gun issue would be for the border to remain as an inspection point, just to ensure criminals and drug and gun smugglers do not take advantage. Law obiding people would still have free access but would just need to go through a checkpoint. The agreement could be tailored for our North American needs, so it may look a bit different than the EU.
We already have this. Pre - checked persons have a nexus pass. They flash their card at crossings and off they go. Only with intermittent checks.

Your checkpoint already exists. It called a border crossing.

Last edited by Natnasci; 11-30-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World