Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one do you have the best opinion of?
Chicago 6 14.63%
Los Angeles 7 17.07%
Mexico City 1 2.44%
Montreal 3 7.32%
San Francisco 13 31.71%
Toronto 9 21.95%
Washington D.C. 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 03:16 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times

Advertisements

I'll exclude New York because it is a giant in terms of reputation and all of that sort of thing.

I'll just leave the comparison between these;

- Chicago
- Los Angeles
- Mexico City
- Montreal
- San Francisco
- Toronto
- Washington D.C.

Which one do you have the best opinion of?

You don't have to use these factors when evaluating but it may help; reputation, image (whether the place is safe or crimeridden), user-friendliness (whether it is easy to navigate in the city), history (how much you know about these places AND if what you know is good or bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 03:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,710,622 times
San Francisco is my favourite of these:

-Compact
-Relatively decent climate
-Good economy
-Crime rate not out of control at least in most areas.
-Decent public transit for a US city
-Nice scenery
-Left leaning

The biggest downside is cost of living but otherwise it is great

Old 12-06-2016, 03:59 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,505,283 times
Mexico City.

Nice scenery, low cost of living, rich history, rather old world cityscape, walkable even outside the core and decent public transportation.

Montreal is a close second, the others far behind. I've only been to LA, though.

Old 12-06-2016, 04:58 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Washington DC is gorgeous.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Miami - Ft. Lauderdale (not on the list)
San Fran
Montreal
Toronto
Chicago
Wash DC
Mex City
Los Angeles
Mexico DF

In that order.

Miami has the weather, the Latin flare and is filled with life.

San Francisco has culture and scenery.

Montreal has great international feel. Relatively compact. Really cool people.

Toronto is clean and organized as big cities go, but feels kind of sterile.

Chicago has nice downtown and lakefront. Rest is pretty crappy.

Mexico City has some very different and interesting museums. Has tremendous potential, but security is a consideration.

Washington DC is nice around the The Mall, but kind of meh. Once or twice is enough.

LA is mostly a cesspool, but nice to the north and around Malibu. Too spread out.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,489 times
Toronto and Montreal. Both very hip.

American metropolises don't really appeal to me. The mindset seems very suburban, but I hear that's changing with younger people.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:35 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,038,402 times
Why did you leave out Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Miami? They all have at least 4 million people in their metropolitan area.

1.San Francisco
2.Los Angeles

3.Chicago
4.Toronto

5.Washington D.C.
6.Montreal
7.Mexico City

Old 12-06-2016, 08:46 PM

153 posts, read 164,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I'll exclude New York because it is a giant in terms of reputation and all of that sort of thing.

I'll just leave the comparison between these;

- Chicago
- Los Angeles
- Mexico City
- Montreal
- San Francisco
- Toronto
- Washington D.C.

Which one do you have the best opinion of?

You don't have to use these factors when evaluating but it may help; reputation, image (whether the place is safe or crimeridden), user-friendliness (whether it is easy to navigate in the city), history (how much you know about these places AND if what you know is good or bad).
Why add if city is crime ridden? Seems like it isn't a biggest opinion of American cities? Because virtually ALL American cities are seen as having crime. Some from past eras? Some perceived by the US gun laws and amount of owned guns Nationally. But really this criteria is with a arterial motive perhaps?

Old 12-06-2016, 11:11 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
I love LA, but at the same time there is a lot of things about LA I don't like. I like all the cities on the list but my top picks would be Toronto, Montreal and San Francisco. Not just San Francisco but the bay area in general.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:52 AM

153 posts, read 164,200 times
US cites overseas are seen as High in crime overall then especially European and Asian cities. But to place Crime as a key of choosing a US city does place a couple in the poll at a disadvantage in who gets attention in the media more on it. Why it should NOT be a top factor here. Most don't seem to going by it anyway in the thread? But picking a favorite city they have visited.

San Francisco ALWAYS wins threads by C-D posters. Even international ones. So I am sure it will win here. Canadian cities may get a boost internationally in more known especially in Europe. But seems a couple Americans even if foreign born are voting? The California mystique is still prevent in the world after NYC. SF and LA will surely ear then. But then World threads get far less viewers then others so how many votes cast might be on the low side.

I generally give good feedback to Chicago in threads it is vs. So to boost its image to those who do not know it I will still do similar here in pictures.

Last edited by UScityUrbanCores; 12-07-2016 at 04:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World