Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 11:55 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,352,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why has Canada rid itself of its British culture ....... ?

It hasn't. Canada retains much British culture but it has also incorporated many other cultures and their practices, all integrated into the greater whole.

Besides having ice hockey as a national game as opposed to the various ball games played on a field, what other examples do you have of Canada ridding itself of British culture?

As a possible point of interest to you, sports historians say the game of ice hockey comes down derived from an ancient Gaelic field game called hurling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

Exactly. I wonder weather the OP has ever been to Canada, particular the eastern side of the country, or even the USA, or looked below the surface on a lot of issues?

I don't think any of the countries mentioned ever set out to "rid themselves" ( ) of British culture, but today its just an historical influence, and just one element of a broad mix of other European, Asian and indigenous cultures that characterise those countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Australia and New Zealand seem to have more in common culturally speaking with the "Mother Country" more so than Canada has, in spite all 3 of them belonging to the Commonwealth of Nations to the point it seems like the odd one out.

One example of Australia's and New Zealand's British culture is Sport, Rugby Union is still a popular sport (especially in New Zealand), Australia has Rugby League and their own code AFL in various states.

Canada has Ice Hockey!

and many countless examples where Australia and New Zealand could be considered more British than Canada,

why is this the case?
But, Rugby Union is a comparatively minor sport even in Queensland and New South Wales, and pretty much unheard of outside those two states. You won't find many outside those two states who are even aware of Rugby League. And what's "British" about AFL? Canada has curling, which is a British (Scottish) sport.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:03 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,607,785 times
Quote:
Why has Canada rid itself of its British culture ....... ?

It hasn't. Canada retains much British culture but it has also incorporated many other cultures and their practices, all integrated into the greater whole.

Besides having ice hockey as a national game as opposed to the various ball games played on a field, what other examples do you have of Canada ridding itself of British culture?

As a possible point of interest to you, sports historians say the game of ice hockey comes down derived from an ancient Gaelic field game called hurling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

You're right. Just look at our government and a lot of our institutions. From having the Queen as head of state, to a pint being 20 Imperial Fluid ounces. The only legal measurement still on the old system I believe.

It seems the pint ( I like beer : ) ) is one British cultural icon that survived our officially being metric.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:04 PM

102,258 posts, read 108,238,692 times
Quote:
One example of Australia's and New Zealand's British culture is Sport, Rugby Union is still a popular sport (especially in New Zealand), Australia has Rugby League and their own code AFL in various states.

Canada has Ice Hockey!
Do you think it might be because Canada is a northern country, with much arctic territory, while Oz & NZ are tropical/subtropical? Maybe you need to look at a map.

This is a pretty isolated example, OP. Can you come up with more? Compared to US culture, Canada is more Brit. This is especially played up in British Columbia's capital, Victoria, where teatime with crumpets is a big thing, especially for tourists.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:22 PM

27,676 posts, read 28,776,586 times
Quote:
why is this the case?
Because Canada has become dominated by American culture and influence in most things.

You have to choose one or the other - Britain or America. They chose America.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Really? There's still a lot of "British" influence in the USA though. Here in Aus, if you want to catch up on British celebrities, an American mid-day or late night TV show is good place to start.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,112,420 times
Quote:

Because Canada has become dominated by American culture and influence in most things.

I'd have to disagree with that and I think most Canadians would disagree. So I think maybe you just don't understand much about Canada and Canadian independence or else you are over-estimating American influence.

Canada marches to the beat of its own drummers and hasn't chosen any one country over any other to emulate. Certainly it hasn't allowed itself to be dominated by any other country, most definitely not by America. I've noticed that Canadians generally try hard to not be equated with America and many people make a big deal of trying to point out all the differences and ways in which they aren't like America.

Yes, it's true Canada has adopted for its own self a lot of things from American culture and advanced technologies that it's been exposed to and can take advantage of but then so has every other country in the world. What country in their right minds wouldn't take advantage of things that they can use to their own benefit? Choosing to take advantage of what is offered doesn't mean they are choosing to be dominated.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you'd like to re-phrase what you were trying to say in words that can be interpreted as less aggressive and hostile?

Old 12-12-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do you think it might be because Canada is a northern country, with much arctic territory, while Oz & NZ are tropical/subtropical? Maybe you need to look at a map.

This is a pretty isolated example, OP. Can you come up with more? Compared to US culture, Canada is more Brit. This is especially played up in British Columbia's capital, Victoria, where teatime with crumpets is a big thing, especially for tourists.

The VAST majority of Canadians live thousands of K's from the Arctic. That said, yes winter in most of the country was conducive to playing hockey outdoors on backyard rinks, or frozen ponds.
Today of course, it's mostly indoor rinks.

Here in Vancouver proper, it hasn't been cold enough in over 30 years I believe, to freeze the locals ponds etc.

Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park used to be a great place to ice-skate, but that is now ancient history.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:53 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,129,027 times
Quote:
I'd have to disagree with that and I think most Canadians would disagree. So I think maybe you just don't understand much about Canada and Canadian independence or else you are over-estimating American influence.

Canada marches to the beat of its own drummers and hasn't chosen any one country over any other to emulate. Certainly it hasn't allowed itself to be dominated by any other country, most definitely not by America. I've noticed that Canadians generally try hard to not be equated with America and many people make a big deal of trying to point out all the differences and ways in which they aren't like America.

Yes, it's true Canada has adopted for its own self a lot of things from American culture and advanced technologies that it's been exposed to and can take advantage of but then so has every other country in the world. What country in their right minds wouldn't take advantage of things that they can use to their own benefit? Choosing to take advantage of what is offered doesn't mean they are choosing to be dominated.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps you'd like to re-phrase what you were trying to say in words that can be interpreted as less aggressive and hostile?

Sorry but you're going way too far.

There may be some countries in the world that are more acculturated by their neighbour than Canada is, but there aren't many and certainly none that are as large.

Yes, some Canadians go out of their way to distinguish themselves from Americans. In some cases the difference is profound and real (in terms of mindset and outlook on life), but in most of them it's more superficial, only to "make a point", and it rings hollow.

I sincerely wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:

I must of missed that meeting when we all got together and made a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World