Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 02:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sorry but you're going way too far.

There may be some countries in the world that are more acculturated by their neighbour than Canada is, but there aren't many and certainly none that are as large.

Yes, some Canadians go out of their way to distinguish themselves from Americans. In some cases the difference is profound and real (in terms of mindset and outlook on life), but in most of them it's more superficial, only to "make a point", and it rings hollow.

I sincerely wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.
Canadians are pretty much FORCED to distinguish themselves from Americans, because so much of the world, including Americans, are ignorant of Canada.

I don't see it as something to be sorry for. I see it as EDUCATING people that Canada is a very different place than the US. You mentioned two HUGELY important things that define a culture. Mindset and outlook on life. That covers a heck of a lot of territory.

I for one won't sit by and say nothing when I'm told that Canada is US lite or words to that effect. It's about as irritating as a French-Canadian being told they don't speak " real " French.

Your focus always seems to be one of pop culture,. that English Canada shares with the US. A country is MUCH more than pop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 03:06 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You mentioned two HUGELY important things that define a culture. Mindset and outlook on life. That covers a heck of a lot of territory.

I agree. That's primarily why Canada is an independent country from the U.S.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I agree. That's primarily why Canada is an independent from the U.S.
So now you don't have feel sorry when Canadians inform others who lump us in with the Americans, that in fact we are fundamentally different in some very important aspects.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I must of missed that meeting when we all got together and made a choice.
I honestly can't decide if it was self-imposed or simply happened slowly by osmosis over time.

One thing I do know is generally speaking it's not the big bad Americans that came in and imposed their culture on Canadians.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
So now you don't have feel sorry when Canadians inform others who lump us in with the Americans, that in fact we are fundamentally different in some very important aspects.
My only wish is that there were more Canadians like you, who take an interest in their country's history and culture (as I assume you do - we've been exchanging on here for long enough), and assert their country's distinctiveness.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:26 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
Quote:
My only wish is that there were more Canadians like you, who take an interest in their country's history and culture (as I assume you do - we've been exchanging on here for long enough), and assert their country's distinctiveness.
Aren't you Canadian also?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I honestly can't decide if it was self-imposed or simply happened slowly by osmosis over time.

One thing I do know is generally speaking it's not the big bad Americans that came in and imposed their culture on Canadians.
Uh, well in regards to cinema, yes.

"The lack of domestic production throughout much of the industry’s history can only be understood against this economic backdrop, where the major distribution and exhibition outlets have been owned and controlled by foreign interests."

It used to be almost impossible to show a Canadian film in a major cinema.

The History of the Canadian Film Industry - The Canadian Encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Aw thanks.

Don't worry though, I correct the ignorant Canadians when they say silly things about the US as well. or exaggerate Canada to the point of being ridiculous.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Uh, well in regards to cinema, yes.

"The lack of domestic production throughout much of the industry’s history can only be understood against this economic backdrop, where the major distribution and exhibition outlets have been owned and controlled by foreign interests."

It used to be almost impossible to show a Canadian film in a major cinema.

The History of the Canadian Film Industry - The Canadian Encyclopedia
I'll begin by saying that my remarks will apply to Canada's English-language films, not French-language ones.

I disagree with the foreign interest excuse. IMHO, the short answer to why any distributor, foreign or not, doesn't carry Canadian films is "because Canadian films generally suck." Production values were low, actors and directors were not well known, and plots tended to be more, "Look, this is a Canadian film" than good stories. Distributors make money off cinema owners who order what they are offering, and cinema owners make money off butts in seats that have patronized the overpriced snack bar. Show a film from any country that nobody is interested in, and you won't be making money. Which do you think most Canadians would rather see: two guys from Nova Scotia moaning about how lousy their life is (Don Shebib's "Goin' Down the Road") or a Hollywood blockbuster featuring cars, guns, explosions, and Schwartzeneggar?

There have been successful Canadian films that people have gladly paid money to see in Canada. "Scanners" comes to mind, as does "The Silent Partner," "Meatballs," and "Porky's." But they are few and far between; and I'd suggest that it is far easier for good Canadian filmmakers to head to Hollywood, where budgets are larger and consequently, production values can be higher. Certainly, it's worked for James Cameron, David Cronenberg, and Norman Jewison--all Canadians.

Whether my theory holds water, I don't know; but I do feel that the failure of Canadian English-language films is not because distributors are foreign-owned. If Canada improved it's film offerings to the point where Canadians are willing to pay to see them, those distributors would be happy to carry them.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Canada and Canadians are underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World