Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 02:01 PM

52 posts, read 62,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I forgot to mention this but I think Osaka is also more underrated in the world than Mexico City.

Osaka is a legitimate and bonafide city, hell it has over 20 million people in its encompassing metropolis, Mexico City also has more than 20 million people too. Yet very little acclaim or attention given to the city (Osaka) despite it being very well rounded.

My picks for most underrated on Earth would go to Busan, Nagoya, and Osaka. There are about a dozen more that I can think of as well that may be even more under the radar than Mexico City. That's not to take anything away from Mexico City, great city, but maybe not the most under-the-radar place on Earth.
Osaka is very underrated

If I was to make a list of tragically underrated cities that are gems I'd go like this.

BRUSSELS (Everyone claims its boring, ugly, the reality it takes a while to absorb the city, tons of art deco, art nouveau, belle epoque, cafes, theater, diverse, good nightlife, great restaurants and cheap, also more classy than neighboring Amsterdam which gets all the attention.)

MEXICO CITY (It is beyond my understanding how is such city not really that visited? It;s a megalopolis with an unbelievable amount of things to see and do! Art, culinary, history, European colonial era, it has all those things and more, you can be in Mexico city three months and still see not all of what the city has to offer)

OSAKA (The coolest, most fun city in Japan, everyone thinks Tokyo because its the capital or Kyoto because of the geishas and so on, however Osaka is the food capital of Japan, the best nightlife and the most colorful and friendly japanese are from there)

PHILADELPHIA (A smaller, cheaper, friendlier NYC. When I visited it was falling apart but it seems it's getting some attention again, it's a colorful working class American city with lots of personality and things to see and so)

BOGOTA (A bad and underserved reputation, the reality is Bogota encompasses all that exotic flavor, and that enormously diverse atmosphere of what Colombia is, it's a growing city with modern way of life offering just about anything you want, each neighborhood is like a world of its own, cheap, amazing nightlife, good food, tons of arts)

I dont know why people keep flocking to Paris, London, NYC, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Venice, Tokyo, Bangkok. At times I wonder if people lack minds of their own and quickly dismiss amazing cities in an effort to be in other cities packed with millions of tourists seeing tons of tourist traps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 11:23 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
I forgot to mention this but I think Osaka is also more underrated in the world than Mexico City.

Osaka is a legitimate and bonafide city, hell it has over 20 million people in its encompassing metropolis, Mexico City also has more than 20 million people too. Yet very little acclaim or attention given to the city (Osaka) despite it being very well rounded.

My picks for most underrated on Earth would go to Busan, Nagoya, and Osaka. There are about a dozen more that I can think of as well that may be even more under the radar than Mexico City. That's not to take anything away from Mexico City, great city, but maybe not the most under-the-radar place on Earth.
I think your point of reference is the US for that. Osaka is well known and pretty well visited in East Asia and opinions of it are generally good. This is even more pronounced if you're talking about the general region which includes Kyoto. The whole region is probably my favorite part of East Asia and I love visiting friends there, but I'm not entirely convinced it counts as particularly underrated.

Mexico City in the US is well known, but opinions are often low because a lot of people assume the worse and hence probably "rate" it terribly without ever having been there. There's a difference between being overlooked because a place isn't commonly heard of and underrated because of people making overly negative associations with a place.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:44 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think your point of reference is the US for that. Osaka is well known and pretty well visited in East Asia and opinions of it are generally good. This is even more pronounced if you're talking about the general region which includes Kyoto. The whole region is probably my favorite part of East Asia and I love visiting friends there, but I'm not entirely convinced it counts as particularly underrated.

Mexico City in the US is well known, but opinions are often low because a lot of people assume the worse and hence probably "rate" it terribly without ever having been there. There's a difference between being overlooked because a place isn't commonly heard of and underrated because of people making overly negative associations with a place.
Yes, perfect explanation.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:38 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuga View Post
Osaka is very underrated

If I was to make a list of tragically underrated cities that are gems I'd go like this.

BRUSSELS (Everyone claims its boring, ugly, the reality it takes a while to absorb the city, tons of art deco, art nouveau, belle epoque, cafes, theater, diverse, good nightlife, great restaurants and cheap, also more classy than neighboring Amsterdam which gets all the attention.)

MEXICO CITY (It is beyond my understanding how is such city not really that visited? It;s a megalopolis with an unbelievable amount of things to see and do! Art, culinary, history, European colonial era, it has all those things and more, you can be in Mexico city three months and still see not all of what the city has to offer)

OSAKA (The coolest, most fun city in Japan, everyone thinks Tokyo because its the capital or Kyoto because of the geishas and so on, however Osaka is the food capital of Japan, the best nightlife and the most colorful and friendly japanese are from there)

PHILADELPHIA (A smaller, cheaper, friendlier NYC. When I visited it was falling apart but it seems it's getting some attention again, it's a colorful working class American city with lots of personality and things to see and so)

BOGOTA (A bad and underserved reputation, the reality is Bogota encompasses all that exotic flavor, and that enormously diverse atmosphere of what Colombia is, it's a growing city with modern way of life offering just about anything you want, each neighborhood is like a world of its own, cheap, amazing nightlife, good food, tons of arts)

I dont know why people keep flocking to Paris, London, NYC, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Venice, Tokyo, Bangkok. At times I wonder if people lack minds of their own and quickly dismiss amazing cities in an effort to be in other cities packed with millions of tourists seeing tons of tourist traps.
Brussels ? Give me Bruges 20 times !

Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,058 times
Maybe if someone wants to put some pictures of Mexico, it will start some vocations of travel in M.
It's a very unknown city (well for travel), marketing starts on forum

Old 05-16-2017, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 756 times
Its the most overrated lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World