Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It probably would if you were able to remember something as obscure as the American kid in the sandbox with you, not pretending to be a Canadian. We're all sure it came up during your conversations

You'd obviously have a leg-up on the rest of us who at that age would probably not have understood the difference between anybody as noted only by their nationality.
Question - just how common do you think it is for Americans to pretend to be Canadian when they're traveling? And what do you base this personal opinion on?

Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Question - just how common do you think it is for Americans to pretend to be Canadian when they're traveling? And what do you base this personal opinion on?
Well, given that it's been 'stated' over and over but seemingly not within your grasp to understand, I'll make one last attempt.

I have not stated it currently being a common practice today and have no opinion as to it's practice today.

I have stated it was more common than you or your confreres on here are willing to accept during a period of American unpopularity.

My 'statements' are as a result of personal experience with Americans while on leave in foreign ports during the Vietnam war and in the 70's while in foreign countries on various vacations.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, given that it's been 'stated' over and over but seemingly not within your grasp to understand, I'll make one last attempt.

I have not stated it currently being a common practice today and have no opinion as to it's practice today.

I have stated it was more common than you or your confreres on here are willing to accept during a period of American unpopularity.

My 'statements' are as a result of personal experience with Americans while on leave in foreign ports during the Vietnam war and in the 70's while in foreign countries on various vacations.
OK - experiences from at least 40 years ago.

Got it!

By the way, many of my responses on this thread have been directed at the participants on the thread in general - not just at you and about your opinions.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:09 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:

Got it!

By the way, many of my responses on this thread have been directed at the participants on the thread in general - not just at you and about your opinions.
Understood.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:50 AM

12,842 posts, read 867,977 times
Thanks for all the Reps everybody. I knew I wasn't alone. Have a happy & safe weekend.

Old 12-23-2016, 10:37 AM

Oh, rainydayparis, thanks for reminding me to thank everyone for the reps too!

You guys are awesome - well, most of you anyway. Especially the Americans who are not ashamed of their nationality - and I see that there are plenty of you out there. Happy travels!

Old 12-23-2016, 11:19 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times
I don't think we care what the world thinks but when I travel to another country, say England, I will often start out by saying that "I'm an American and that's why I talk funny." That way they'll be prepared for a foreign accent that they may have trouble understanding. Anything I hate it's the look of shock on their faces when I open my mouth and speak in this drab American accent. Then those British make you feel lower than dirt when they reply in their (usually) spotless and beautiful language. I'm sort of apologizing for being American.

And the people who posted about how different it is here from state to state are right. If I go to a different state, I will tell them where I am from just to prepare them. To let them know that I probably don't know where any of their towns are. If I'm in Florida, to warn them that I'm not used to their warm winter weather. Once, on a cruise, when I said I was from MA, the person I was talking to said, "Well, in that case we'll avoid some topics." We continued to have a great conversation but I'm glad I warned him first to avoid embarrassment and strife.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:

Got it!

The whole thing about Americans pretending to be Canadians during certain eras was blown way out of proportion and misinterpreted. It was only an example given to point out to the OP that there have been times when some foreigners have had issues with the US, and let its citizens know it when they were encountered while travelling, so it's not always something Americans imagined, or a phenomenon caused by an exaggerated sense of their importance. It's just a part of the total picture, not the whole picture, or even a major part of the picture.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:20 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,019,409 times
'cause Trump!

In all fairnesss I don't think they think this...or maybe they only care in Muslim countries?

Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuck View Post
This is a question I see over and over and over everywhere

Americans asking:
If I go to X place will I fit in? I am blonde with blue eyes!!

I am black will they look down on me if I go to Y place??

Should I tell people I am an American when I visit so and so??

Why this question?

No one cares (I've been all over the world and most people dont even bother to ask where the strangers they come across come from!!!!)

Much less they care to know if you're an American or not!!

The normal reaction people outside the US have when they meet an American, it's the normal reaction Americans have in NYC when they see a tourist from Canada. Nothing in particular!!!

What makes Americans think their presence and nationality will cause some sort of admiration/reaction on strangers in other countries?

Not sure but, until I cover every inch of this country, I see little reason to go find out.....lots of those same challenges exist here to be sure but, it's a whole lot less expensive, the water clean, and everyone speaks the same language to varying levels of competency....good enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World