Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Because they have a superiority complex.
I think the phenomenon expressed by the OP is inferred as a superiority complex, but it is ultimately a product of the shattering of American solipsism.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Because they have a superiority complex.
Yup!! I agree! Plus the way they behave. Mostly demanding and criticizing everything what is not like "back home". Not generalizing, but it does happen very often...
(Some of the posts on C-D are good reference)

Those people are also very insecure and paranoid - they ask same questions on US forums, even when they move from city to city/ or state to state....

Old 12-16-2016, 12:35 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yup!! I agree! Plus the way they behave. Mostly demanding and criticizing everything what is not like "back home". Not generalizing, but it does happen very often...
Non-Americans do this when working or studying in the US all the time.

It is very disingenuous to characterize this type of behaviour as a chiefly American trait.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:37 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ I don't really see any posts written by non-Americans asking if they will fit in with their blue eyes, blond hair, skin color, or because of their nationality, or sexual orientation...

Old 12-16-2016, 12:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Non-Americans do this when working or studying in the US all the time.

It is very disingenuous to characterize this type of behaviour as a chiefly American trait.
They do it in Canada as well.

This or that is better in Germany, this or that is better in France, on and on.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:44 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
we'd like to make sure we get our gifts and certificates of appreciation that would typically be bestowed on us for showing up

Old 12-16-2016, 01:42 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,954 times
Americans have the reputation for saying something like: "Hello, I'm John, I'm from America". It gives the impression that Americans think that the nationality of a person is more important than its character. Or that the nationality is a character. Do Americans think that being American is an important feature?

I don't know whether the stereotype that Americans feel the need to say that they are from America is correct. I have met both types of Americans, so I don't know. But I do have the impression that the own nationality is for Americans much more important than it is for people from other countries. I've never met a Dutch or French who said that they are from the Netherlands or France.

I have the impression that for Americans the nationality comes first and only then other features like job, educational background or interests. Americans take it definitely more personally when someone criticizes the U.S. They almost always seem to feel the need to defend the U.S. even when it's absurd to do so.

Sometimes it seems difficult to discuss a serious topic with Americans because they put their country above rational thinking.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:49 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Americans have the reputation for saying something like: "Hello, I'm John, I'm from America". It gives the impression that Americans think that the nationality of a person is more important than its character. Or that the nationality is a character. Do Americans think that being American is an important feature?

I don't know whether the stereotype that Americans feel the need to say that they are from America is correct. I have met both types of Americans, so I don't know. But I do have the impression that the own nationality is for Americans much more important than it is for people from other countries. I've never met a Dutch or French who said that they are from the Netherlands or France.

I have the impression that for Americans the nationality comes first and only then other features like job, educational background or interests. Americans take it definitely more personally when someone criticizes the U.S. They almost always seem to feel the need to defend the U.S. even when it's absurd to do so.

Sometimes it seems difficult to discuss a serious topic with Americans because they put their country above rational thinking.

Sounds like you're meeting a lot of Republicans.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post

You need to get out more......

Old 12-16-2016, 01:52 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
What always annoys me is when American senators/presidents say at a Press Conference (say someone has been killed) "this AMERICAN man has been brutally murdered" basically insinuating that Americans are some sort of "master race" and that the rest of us don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World