U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Anglophone country do you consider "most diverse"?
Australia 5 8.93%
Canada 8 14.29%
Ireland 0 0%
New Zealand 0 0%
United Kingdom 4 7.14%
United States of America 39 69.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 PM

16,539 posts, read 24,006,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am fully aware that the United States does not have an official language and I've had this brought up in debates many times, as if this means that it's a linguistic free for all and that states would be free to choose their language(s). The reality is that they aren't free to do as they wish and English though not de jure as an official language, is official in a de facto way, which is almost exactly the same thing.
States are free to choose their own official languages, they just happen to choose English. California's constitution was originally written in both English and Spanish until English was chosen. There is no law that could have prevented it from choosing to be bilingual. If the constitution does not forbid it (which is doesn't) then the right is left for the states and the people so your assessment is wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It is very normal actually, like this site to renew a NSW drivers licence offers the form in 55 languages, and of course if can't speak English to fill out an official form, they relevant government authority will get one for you in another language or provide and interpreter to help you.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/trans...driver-licence

It's why the government pays such attention to collecting language data in Australia. If for example you live in a big Arabic speaking area, they will ensure Arabic speaking staff and forms are available, etc.

Australia has no official language either, its very common not to have one.
Cool thanks

Old 01-02-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
You can impose a language fairly forcefully and effectively without actually making it official in law.
That works both ways.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
So true, and quite annoying. What is even more annoying is that foreigners adopt those stereotypes too.
People have no idea how diverse Mexicans and Blacks are within our own cultures but they have no qualms telling us who we are.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:44 PM

3,976 posts, read 5,985,392 times
Quote:
You can impose a language fairly forcefully and effectively without actually making it official in law.
Of course you can, I agree with your general thoughts that not having an official language means nothing.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 3,091,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
People have no idea how diverse Mexicans and Blacks are within our own cultures but they have no qualms telling us who we are.
I've dealt with it all my life- surprise because I choose not to have children, surprise because I don't have a George Lopez Chicano accent (lol), surprise that I was a nerd and very studious, surprise that I loved the beach and surfing, and the list goes on...I know Black people get this too all the time. Poor mixed kids who are Mexican/Black, they have DOUBLE the amount of stereotypes to sort through....

Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I've dealt with it all my life- surprise because I choose not to have children, surprise because I don't have a George Lopez Chicano accent (lol), surprise that I was a nerd and very studious, surprise that I loved the beach and surfing, and the list goes on...I know Black people get this too all the time. Poor mixed kids who are Mexican/Black, they have DOUBLE the amount of stereotypes to sort through....
Haha, you are the Mexican version of me almost. I don't speak AAVE and was a huge nerd too and still am.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:15 AM

1,134 posts, read 838,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post

Now issue with categories
All 3 countries use different methods. In case of Asian I believe Canada includes whole Asia, while Australia and the US only South Asia, East and SouthEastern Asia/but not 100% sure.

Now this is supposed to be racial category right? US census categories make no sense in 21st century-what race is Asian....Japanese look totally different to Dravidian people from southern India for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
So while it is true non white share in the US is much higher, statistics are skewed thanks to many Latinos counting as white instead of mestizo and large African American % that is unique to the US(americanized, US born, monolingual English speaking). Canada/Australia don t have such group, but have much higher foreign born % and also immigrants and their descendants % (1st and 2nd generation immigrants)
Yes.

Broad-brush racial categories are not an effective way of assessing cultural and ethnic diversity. If they were, Africa would be considered homogeneous, and Europe form the Volga to Dublin and from Lapland to Greece would be categorised as only slightly diverse. And two individuals who grew up in the same street, attended the same schools and colleges, grew up playing the same sports and watching the same TV shows and movies and speak the same language would be considered different simply due to skin /eye pigmentation and nose shape.

To be truely culturally and ethnically diverse a country needs to have people who’s lives, views and ways of doing things were shaped by different languages, value systems, global perspectives, different histories, foods and forms of entertainment. That only comes from having a large and diverse immigrant and second generation population. From that perspective the US is not particularly diverse, and is some way behind several other Anglo countries.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:37 AM

24,341 posts, read 30,633,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
States are free to choose their own official languages, they just happen to choose English. California's constitution was originally written in both English and Spanish until English was chosen. There is no law that could have prevented it from choosing to be bilingual. If the constitution does not forbid it (which is doesn't) then the right is left for the states and the people so your assessment is wrong.
I think it's a bit illusory to think that this would have been possible in any meaningful way.

Many potential U.S. states had to wait until "anglos" became a majority or at least had effective control of things before being admitted to the union.

And... ever heard of John Dewey?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 AM

1,147 posts, read 552,281 times
America's media is very inward-looking. They've been sheltered from alternative perspectives or events outside their own country, but I suppose the internet is starting to chance that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World