Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WORLD'S BEST CITY
NEW YORK CITY 21 25.30%
LOS ANGELES 4 4.82%
LONDON 6 7.23%
PARIS 12 14.46%
MADRID 0 0%
MOSCOW 0 0%
ROME 3 3.61%
MUNICH 1 1.20%
TORONTO 0 0%
HAMBURG 0 0%
INDIANAPOLIS 0 0%
DENVER 2 2.41%
TOKYO 9 10.84%
OTHER 14 16.87%
THE CITY YOU LIVE IN 11 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:26 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
Do you know how many people live in Paris métro ? more than 11 millions.... It's a lot, for any one.

Yes, but I fail to understand that. High tech, yes, but in what ? Give me an example of a city you see as high tech and why.
Paris isn't a Silicon Valley how is that? Paris doesn't have Universities like Los Angeles or Boston. I've noticed how many lists of the world's best universities mirror lists of the bets American universities.
Los Angeles' Metro has some of the best universities. schools like UCLA, UCI,UCSB, USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, and maybe even UCR.
Paris' best school ranks at 46 in the top 100 in the world, Los Angeles' best ranks 6....Boston's best ranks 5...
11 million is by no means small, but Tokyo has 35 Million...and unlike the rest of the cities in the world number 2 spot has 20.5 million...that is a huge difference... Paris does not compare in population with Tokyo, that is like comparing Dallas city proper to New York City proper.
I'm sorry but if French oil was so popular why don't i see it everywhere? I mean I've been to various countries but I've never seen French Petroleum... I've seem British Petroleum (hehe no pun intended). Exon mobile is the largest Gas and Oil company in the world, followed by the NETHERLAND's Royal Dutch group and THEN the UK's BP... Paris isn't that most ethnically diverse city in the world either, NYC and Los Angeles do a much better Job.
I'm sorry you feel pairs is the absolute cream of the crop but I don't feel that way and I don't feel any city is that way.
I mean...sure it might be number one for Tourism and Fashion (not by much as Milan, Tokyo, and NYC are also big Fashion centers) but c'mon there is more to a city then just a couple of street side cafes and some high towers with blinking lights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 07:29 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
I'm sorry but if French oil was so popular why don't i see it everywhere? I mean I've been to various countries but I've never seen French Petroleum... I've seem British Petroleum (hehe no pun intended). Exon mobile is the largest Gas and Oil company in the world, followed by the NETHERLAND's Royal Dutch group and THEN the UK's BP... Paris isn't that most ethnically diverse city in the world either, NYC and Los Angeles do a much better Job.
Yeah. And Tokyo is ethnically diverse? Give us a break.

As for French large French oil companies, what on earth are you talking about? You've never heard of Total-Fina? According to PetroStrategies iInc. t's larger than Royal Dutch Shell and has more worldwide liquid reserves than BP. And remember, BP didn't get to be as large as it is until it acquired the American company Amoco back in the late 90s.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times
Rome, because it's the seat of the Catholic Church.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:05 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,499 times
Quote:
Paris isn't a Silicon Valley how is that?
No, actually is by far bigger ! Did you know that for example Vivendi was the first producer of videogame in the world ? Did you know that the french areva, or Matra, or Thomson, or Dassault, or EADS or Thales, etc etc (I cannot put all the list on the board) are all companies whose are leaders in their field and they are all about high tech. Did you know that Paris was the place in the world where internet was the fatest in the world ? Did you know Paris was linked to France by fast train network ? Did you know Paris public transport was the most developped in the world ?

he he ! I don't want to play to the game who has the biggest ! But here, the french are not too bad !

Quote:
Paris doesn't have Universities like Los Angeles or Boston. I've noticed how many lists of the world's best universities mirror lists of the bets American universities. Los Angeles' Metro has some of the best universities. schools like UCLA, UCI,UCSB, USC, Cal Tech, Pepperdine, and maybe even UCR.
Paris' best school ranks at 46 in the top 100 in the world, Los Angeles' best ranks 6....Boston's best ranks 5..
Yes it's true but I noticed this list was made on the american exams so it's not very surprising to see the first concerned by the list are the american ones.

Some schoole in Paris are very well know in Europe. I'm not sure it makes them better than their american counterparts, but frankly, I don't know enough the issue.

Quote:
11 million is by no means small, but Tokyo has 35 Million...and unlike the rest of the cities in the world number 2 spot has 20.5 million...that is a huge difference... Paris does not compare in population with Tokyo, that is like comparing Dallas city proper to New York City proper.
ho yes ! I understand now ! I thought you was saying Paris was little, but I didn't know you compared Paris with Tokyo. Nethertheless, I think 10 , 20 or 30 millions it doens't change anything excepted the pollution is huge in these cities and more people live in them and more they are polluted. IMO, it's not a good criteria. 5 millions is enough to have got the best a city can provide.

Quote:
I'm sorry but if French oil was so popular why don't i see it everywhere? I mean I've been to various countries but I've never seen French Petroleum... I've seem British Petroleum (hehe no pun intended). Exon mobile is the largest Gas and Oil company in the world, followed by the NETHERLAND's Royal Dutch group and THEN the UK's BP...
why are you talking about oil ? they are very big companies in Paris let say : EDF (the biggest producer of electricity of the world), Carrefour (the 2nd after wall mart), LVMH (leader of luxurary products), AXA (insurance), Vinci and Bouygues (1st and 2nd in the world in their field), etc....

France is the country in Europe where you could find the biggest european companies.

Quote:
Paris isn't that most ethnically diverse city in the world either, NYC and Los Angeles do a much better Job.
Of course it is. France is the second biggest immigrate country after the US.

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel pairs is the absolute cream of the crop but I don't feel that way and I don't feel any city is that way.
I mean...sure it might be number one for Tourism and Fashion (not by much as Milan, Tokyo, and NYC are also big Fashion centers) but c'mon there is more to a city then just a couple of street side cafes and some high towers with blinking lights...
it's very true ! There is for example not the sea in paris !that's make me say that it's not the best city in the world.

Hoping I helped you to see the city of Paris (where it's not good to live ! ) in another way !

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah. And Tokyo is ethnically diverse? Give us a break.

As for French large French oil companies, what on earth are you talking about? You've never heard of Total-Fina? According to PetroStrategies iInc. t's larger than Royal Dutch Shell and has more worldwide liquid reserves than BP. And remember, BP didn't get to be as large as it is until it acquired the American company Amoco back in the late 90s.
Not once did I say Tokyo was diverse...I've been preaching the opposite, Japan is very Un-diverse...
IF you look at the top oil companies Fina is up there but it is not number one.

so I don't know everything about Paris , but Paris is not the bet at everything, but at the same token neither is any other city.
Is France really immigration destination number 2? I would've thought that would belong to Canada or the UK...oh well, good to see that I understand what you're trying to say.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,764 times
Quote:
Is France really immigration destination number 2? I would've thought that would belong to Canada or the UK...oh well, good to see that I understand what you're trying to say.

Paris is EXTREMELY diverse. Tons of Arabs, Africans, SE Asians, Chinese, Eastern Europeans, Japanese and virtually anything else you can think of. I wouldn't doubt if Paris was less than 50% white.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,764,928 times
Paris is the best for me but NY city, Miami, San Antonio, Las Vegas..WOW!!!!!

Old 03-05-2008, 11:59 AM

270 posts, read 526,981 times
Geneva, Switzerland is by far the best city in the world.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Total-Fina is the 2nd largest oil company in the world after Exxon/Mobil. And yes, it happens to be French. You probably have not seen French oil because it is marketed everywhere but North America and parts of Europe. You go anywhere else and they're all running on French oil.

Like other posters have said, France is home to many technological breakthroughs. Paris' La Defense district is the largest business district in Europe. I'm pretty sure that France holds it's own.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Kobenhavn .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World