Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WORLD'S BEST CITY
NEW YORK CITY 21 25.30%
LOS ANGELES 4 4.82%
LONDON 6 7.23%
PARIS 12 14.46%
MADRID 0 0%
MOSCOW 0 0%
ROME 3 3.61%
MUNICH 1 1.20%
TORONTO 0 0%
HAMBURG 0 0%
INDIANAPOLIS 0 0%
DENVER 2 2.41%
TOKYO 9 10.84%
OTHER 14 16.87%
THE CITY YOU LIVE IN 11 13.25%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
Here is what Wiki says :

your statment didn't say anything about Finance or banks.... You said : London reigns supreme in Europe as a business center .

Finance is a buisness among others, for example, Paris reigns supreme in Europe as a luxurary buisness center.

So I repeat it's not true. Buisness doesn't mean Finance.

As for the most headquarters :

Fortune - World headquarters - CNN

Paris : 26
London : 22

I don't know what is your figure, but it doens't seem very relevant actually....

Just to be sure you have understood what I'm saying :

List of cities by GDP

But you know, Paris or London, it's almost the same.... it's the big four 'Tokyo, New York, Paris and London". So it doesn't change anything actually.
Here is a very good study about that :PFNYC (http://www.pfnyc.org/publications/2007_03_Cities_Opportunity.pdf - broken link)

Ok well I think you're misunderstanding my original point. You can't say one of them is "best" (btw London and Paris) because they both have different strengths.

You're right I was specifically referring to the finance sector and shouldnt have used the term business. But although I'd put Paris just slightly behind London in terms of world-wide importance please see the below link of the top 50 cities for business.

World's Top 50 Cities for Business

I'll even save you the time -They have London as #1 with NYC at its heels and Paris at #8

Look, I will be the first to admit that Paris is more architecturally pleasing and has better food but I think most would agree London is more important (not by much though) in terms of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 08:20 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Paris! It's the art capital, fashion capital, and thought capital of the world!
No other city has anything on it!
New York can rival it in fashion. Actually, New York is the fashion capital of the world. Sean John, Tommy Hilfiger, Saks & Co., Macy's, G-Unit, Ecko, etc. New York is untouchable in the modern fashion industry.

Art is also another category I'm not sure Paris has the top spot in. Rome or Greece are both extremely artistic. The architecture and statues are all works of amazing art. Modern art has an extremely large presence in New York.

Thought... I don't know if Paris has that or not. I always thought of Greece and Rome as capitals of "thought." But I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New York can rival it in fashion. Actually, New York is the fashion capital of the world. Sean John, Tommy Hilfiger, Saks & Co., Macy's, G-Unit, Ecko, etc. New York is untouchable in the modern fashion industry.

Art is also another category I'm not sure Paris has the top spot in. Rome or Greece are both extremely artistic. The architecture and statues are all works of amazing art. Modern art has an extremely large presence in New York.

Thought... I don't know if Paris has that or not. I always thought of Greece and Rome as capitals of "thought." But I'm not sure what you mean by this.
Have you ever even left the U.S. or even NY futurecop? lol. I would say Florence has the most beautiful art in the world but you really shouldn't knock Paris. Ever heard of the Louvre?

Ok I'll go ahead and give you the lowdown that there is in fact thought in Paris Existentialism. google it.

Why did you say first "New York can rival it in fashion" and then go on to proclaim NYC's domination of the world of fashion? I agree NY rivals Paris in this but Paris is very important in fashion, as is Milan.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:37 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
Quote:
Um... those brands are definitely not considered high fashion. I can get Sean John, G-Unit, and Ecko at JC Penney's at the One Day Only Sale!

Paris is home to Chanel, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Dior, Louis Vuitton, Jean Paul Gaultier, Givenchy, Hermes, Lacroix, and Malandrino. G-Unit does not even compare! Haha!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:20 PM

29 posts, read 43,398 times
.... and Lanvin (My favorite)!!!

New York's is Zac Posen, Marc Jacobs, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Carolina Herrera, Diane von Furstenberg.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:25 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
^ Michael Kors too!

Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Ok well I think you're misunderstanding my original point. You can't say one of them is "best" (btw London and Paris) because they both have different strengths.

You're right I was specifically referring to the finance sector and shouldnt have used the term business. But although I'd put Paris just slightly behind London in terms of world-wide importance please see the below link of the top 50 cities for business.

World's Top 50 Cities for Business

I'll even save you the time -They have London as #1 with NYC at its heels and Paris at #8

Look, I will be the first to admit that Paris is more architecturally pleasing and has better food but I think most would agree London is more important (not by much though) in terms of business.

You are right. As far as I know, finance rules the world, and since London is the number one in this field, I think we can easly conclude than London is for the moment the most important city in the world....

(Enjoy, you won't hear that everyday from a french ! )

Old 03-17-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
You're kidding right ?

New York is one of the place but Paris is the capital.... sorry

Quote:
Paris has just the biggest museums in the world.... that's it....
As for the architecture and stuates thing.... well , Rome is very little compared to Paris and Paris is full of amazing and classical architecture and status.... but to know that, you have to come. If paris is the most visited place in the world it's has actually little to do with a coincidence....

Quote:
Don't you know anything about art ?

So tell me why are you arguing about something you clearly don't know ?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
^ Michael Kors too!
seriously, who could compare Michael Kors to Chanel or Christian Dior ?

Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM

29 posts, read 43,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
If paris is the most visited place in the world it's has actually little to do with a coincidence....
Well, one of the major contributing factors of Paris being the most visited place in the world is its location.

It's much easier for people from other countries to travel to Paris than it is to New York because of Paris central location and easy access from other European, Asian and African countries and cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World