Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 04:47 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,761,374 times

Advertisements

I would not want to visit nations/regions that are very poor, unstable and/or are war-torn. I also have no desire to visit the Middle East, not anytime soon. If there were more stability in that region of the world and different governments that they have now, I could change my mind.

I had lived in Europe for a few years, so if I were to travel again far from where I currently reside, the destinations would be in select areas in Asia or South America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 05:42 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Actually, there are no countries I would never want to visit. There are some where I am unsure whether I would like it there, but that would not stop me getting there.
I am quite shocked about people not wanting to go to some countries because of religion.

I am female. I am older. I travel alone. There is no way I will ever go to the Middle East or any other country that is predominantly muslim or which is at war. Not taking the chance. The only exceptions might be if I had a layover in Indonesia or Malaysia - the cuisine I would love to explore but the rest of the country, I doubt it.

I will go to places that have some muslim population but not any place that is almost exclusively muslim. You can call that anything you want to but I call it smart.

I also have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any place in Africa or any other extremely hot country. If there is a cool season perhaps but still .. no Africa. Just not my cup of tea.

Venezuela just doesn't float my boat either - especially currently. Brazil isn't sounding so good right now either. And frankly, I just have no interest in going to Mexico ever again. But I would go to Ecuador in a heartbeat.

As for other religions .. well I would visit the Vatican (even though I belong to no denomination and am certainly not Catholic). I would go to Israel. What other religions govern entire countries these days?

Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,273,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I am female. I am older. I travel alone. There is no way I will ever go to the Middle East or any other country that is predominantly muslim or which is at war. Not taking the chance. The only exceptions might be if I had a layover in Indonesia or Malaysia - the cuisine I would love to explore but the rest of the country, I doubt it.
Agreed. I am not female but I refuse to travel to places where people would like to see me dead just because I am who I am, preferring my own gender. Sadly, that is the case in many countries with a Muslim population, even though I am sure some are nice places to visit in general. One exception is Egypt, should it ever be safe again I would love to go, been a fan of their ancient culture ever since I was a little boy.

I also refuse to travel to autoritarian countries or those that violate basic human rights. Even if nothing may happen to me I don't want to support this with my money.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:22 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,914,376 times
East St. Louis

Old 01-19-2017, 04:59 PM

881 posts, read 912,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I would not want to visit nations/regions that are very poor, unstable and/or are war-torn.
why not? the only reason I see for that is lacking certain luxuries there (hotels with wifi or whatever), but you won't be there for the rest of your life, so it doesn't matter much. you could learn how different people live in these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I also have absolutely no interest whatsoever in any place in Africa or any other extremely hot country. If there is a cool season perhaps but still .. no Africa. Just not my cup of tea.
Africa has all kinds of weather. For one, climate in the highlands of Ethiopia must be eternal spring.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 PM

536 posts, read 636,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post

All of Eastern Europe except Poland. Its not that I want to go to Poland, but rather that its quite possible one day I might say 'what the hell' and buy a ticket to Warsaw. I've been known to do spur of the moment decisions like that.
You're missing out on a lot of nice countries in Eastern Europe if you only go to Poland! The Cold War ended in 1991.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:01 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,040,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Actually, there are no countries I would never want to visit. There are some where I am unsure whether I would like it there, but that would not stop me getting there.
I am quite shocked about people not wanting to go to some countries because of religion.
A few years ago, there was a post on another forum from an English guy who visited Morocco and some Muslim woman started screaming at him with the crowd cheering her on. She eventually spit in his face and they applauded. He felt like he had to stand there and take it rather than retreat or react. Obviously that does not happen to everybody who visits Morocco, but having a crowd of people cheer her on rather than intervene is very telling. Apparently the issue is deeper than some one-off, kooky angry woman. It's too bad because it is a country that has a tremendous amount of touristic potential.

Anyway, that's why people think twice about visiting certain countries due to religion.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,265,406 times
I love cool, cold, wet weather and dislike heat and humidity, but bad weather would never be a reason for me to not visit a country. It is not like I would be moving there for life.

And experiencing things one might consider negative, like harsh environments, hunger, and other physical hardships can be invigorating and make for memorable experience. People who travel great distances to be immersed in a miasma of dull comfort are probably the type of people who think plain oatmeal is too exciting for their palate.

Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,242,302 times
Never want to visit list is long.

Afghanistan
Angola
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Benin
Botswana
Burundi
Cambodia
Cameroun
Central African Republic
Chad
China
Colombia
Congo
Cuba
Cyprus
Dominican Republic
Egypt
El Salvador
All the Guinea's
Ethiopia
Fiji
Gabon
Gambia
Ghana
Guadeloupe
Guyana
Haiti
Honduras
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Ivory Coast
Jordan
Kuwait
Laos
Lebanon
Lesotho
Liberia
Libya
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Mali
Martinique
Mauritania
Mauritius
Mongolia
Mozambique
Nicaragua
Niger
Nigeria
North Korea
Oman
Pakistan...all the "stans"
Panama
Paraguay
Philippines
Puerto Rico
Qatar
Rwanda
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Somalia
Sri Lanka
Sudan....and South Sudan
Surinam
Swaziland
Syria
Taiwan
Tanzania
Thailand
Togo
Uganda
UAE
Venezuela
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,992,524 times
Turkey;
Russia (already been there though but was young at the time);
The Anglosphere (England, US, Canada) though Australia seem cool but can't say yet...
Mexico (kidnapping of tourists);
Any place with weird food habits (Vietnam, Korea, China, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World