Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 10:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I think the Mayan language is spoken more than people realize. Many people who speak Native American lanfuages hide it due to fear of racism. When here in the US, there is tremendous pressure to speak Spanish to communicate and fit under that forced 'Hispanic' umbrella. I can only imagine all of the layers of pressure they have to endure.

Oh for sure. That is why I think Mayan kids should have more access to education in their language. Even in Guatemala there is tremendous pressure on Mayan people to speak Spanish. Sadly I have even seen Mayans put down other Mayans for not speaking proper Spanish.

Quote:
I hear my neighbors speaking Native American languages, 1 is from Guatemala and the other 2 are from southern Mexico. They are very quiet, reserved, humble people.
Lots of Mayans in LA, California period. I didn't see many when I lived there but there is now for sure. I have seen ladies walking around in their traditional Mayan clothing over there by downtown LA. My wife was recently in Oakland and said she saw quite a few over there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 04:26 PM

76 posts, read 56,548 times
Quote:
It's up to US to treasure these languages, promote the culture and not let them die off.
It is up to the Mayans themselves, the Mixtec, Zapotec, the Indigenous community, and etc. No one else. The ones who has preserved, speaks, and takes pride in the languages.

In Guatemala, at least, many of these languages still have a healthy population and have grown over the decades. I wouldn't be worried.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM

76 posts, read 56,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Maybe in some places but definitely not everywhere. Beyond primary school this is probably not common at all.

There is more than 1 extinct language in Guatemala.

I’m sure more than one language has disappeared over the centuries, like Ch’olti’ and possibly Chicomuceltec, though Chicomuceltec may have only existed in Mexican side of the border, but of the 27 listed languages of Guatemala by ethnologue, only one of them is considered extinct. That language being the language isolate Xinca, though some people still claim they can speak Xinca.
In recent years the Mayan community have become more organized and politicized, bilingual education has grown over the years. I see lots of social change coming to Guatemala.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaxkan View Post
I’m sure more than one language has disappeared over the centuries, like Ch’olti’ and possibly Chicomuceltec, though Chicomuceltec may have only existed in Mexican side of the border, but of the 27 listed languages of Guatemala by ethnologue, only one of them is considered extinct. That language being the language isolate Xinca, though some people still claim they can speak Xinca. I
In recent years the Mayan community have become more organized and politicized, bilingual education has grown over the years. I see lots of social change coming to Guatemala.
Well I hope you are right.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:28 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
It is up to the Mayans themselves, the Mixtec, Zapotec, the Indigenous community, and etc. No one else. The ones who has preserved, speaks, and takes pride in the languages.

In Guatemala, at least, many of these languages still have a healthy population and have grown over the decades. I wouldn't be worried.
I disagree.

My point was it's up to a whole society to recognize and give importance to the languages. It can't and shouldn't stay isolated. Recognition and advocacy gives funding opportunities, grant money, etc...for schools and education. It also encourages dialogue, creation of committees for representation, etc...

Though I do agree that I don't see the languages dying off, and there are many indigenous community leaders working in local politics advocating for their communities.

Old 02-26-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Don't some groups in Mexico also have healthy populations like Yucatec Mayans for example? In Northern Guatemala there were two languages, Itza and Mopan which were very closely related to Yucatec Mayan. Unfortunately those languages are gone or on their death bed in Guatemala. What about Zapotec languges and other Nahuatl groups?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I disagree.

My point was it's up to a whole society to recognize and give importance to the languages. It can't and shouldn't stay isolated. Recognition and advocacy gives funding opportunities, grant money, etc...for schools and education. It also encourages dialogue, creation of committees for representation, etc...
In Guatemala some indigenous communities can barely get money for schools, (some probably dont get any at all,) let alone education in their language. I am skeptical of the social changes Yaxkan is talking about. Yaxkan is right in that some languages in Guatemala have enough people right now to survive, and there is also a demographic explosion taking place in Guatemala. After the civil war the population among some Mayans started growing very rapidly.

Old 02-26-2017, 11:55 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,819,326 times
Panama City is nicknamed the Dubai of Latin America.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:42 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

Is the worship of Santa Muerte comparable to a jihad where cartel members are often willing to fight to the death? Is honor a theme within the narcotrafficking scene the way Arab and Muslim honor is central to the Middle Eastern conflicts? Is the sense of machismo and cajones also part of why cartel gunmen fight to the death? Is the sense of tension on the streets of Guatemala City or Tegucigalpa similar to what you'll see in Beirut, Gaza City and East Jerusalem? Or is Tegucigalpa just Detroit on steroids?

I know the treatment of women in Central America is probably better than in the Islamic world, but how similar is the idea of machismo to the treatment of women as property in the Middle East and its impact on gender roles? Would it reflect poorly on a man if his wife has to work out of economic necessity/seen as a shame because he alone isn't able to provide? And I know actual honor killings are more of an Islamic/Middle Eastern thing but is it common in Latin America for a family to disown a rape victim for bringing shame on the family? And would a rape victim be ostracized by her community, even if its the kind of situation where she was taken off a bus in a cartel roadblock and raped by gang members?
I don't too much about Central America. But as already written East Jerusalem is de facto part of Israel and one doesn't feel tension on the streets. Israel in general is relatively safe in terms of street crime being not that high compared to other countries with a Western life style. Also in Israel it is common for women to work outside the home. A woman who does not work outside the home is looked down upon. As for honor killings, they do happen occasionally among the Muslim population in Israel but it is definitely not a common occurrence. As for rape victims, they can be ostracized in the Jewish Ultra-Orthodox community as a married man can't be with his wife under strict Jewish law if she has been raped by another man no matter what the circumstances are.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:07 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
The only thing both areas have in common are they give the United States a reaction among their neo-cons: FEAR!

Iran, in particular, is having business and economic relations with most of Latin America that it is going so well that a few of them (including Mexico and most of South America) have visa free tourist travel to Iran and vice versa

Clearly, the U.S. CIA and military watchdogs do not like that especially with Latin American being so close to the U.S. And despite Iran never committing a terrorist attack to the United States despite the lack of communication between said nations.

Last edited by FBF; 02-28-2017 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World