Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

Try to sugarcoat it all you want, the Iraq war was a poor decision.
It was a horrible decision which I also opposed before the start. However, I am also capable of understanding that it was a God awful place before the US invasion and it had a history of belligerent behavior with its neighbors as well as massacring its own people.

Yes, ISIS has taken advantage of power vacuums, but what happened in Syria was a case of Assad squashing an uprising that he felt threatened his power. The start of the Syrian civil war had little to do with the US, despite your trying to assign blame there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 10:56 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,802,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
It was a horrible decision which I also opposed before the start. However, I am also capable of understanding that it was a God awful place before the US invasion and it had a history of belligerent behavior with its neighbors as well as massacring its own people.

Yes, ISIS has taken advantage of power vacuums, but what happened in Syria was a case of Assad squashing an uprising that he felt threatened his power. The start of the Syrian civil war had little to do with the US, despite your trying to assign blame there.

I never tried to assign blame there.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:26 PM

37,272 posts, read 39,575,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post

I disagree with you there. The issue in Syria had a lot to do initially with border regions of Iraq which we destabilized with our little intervention. We, the US, should not be the gatekeepers of the world and certainly shouldn't be doing it on economic principles (why is it that we didn't invade far more oppressive regimes with few resources useful to us in the rest of the world, eh?). In the end, it's a question of how expansive is our culpability and blame for all of this, and the best, though not the most noble, tactic would have been for the US to step aside even after the crapshoot we institued. It's not like we knew there was a winning strategy of all of this, so we should've left alone. That doesn't mean we're not complicit in it, but it also isn't reasonable to get further involved.

Basically, in my view, the W administration led to this mess, and the Obama administration didn't feel good about leaving the pot alone after the previous administration stirred it and ended up doing the same line of crap things. I don't blame Obama entirely for all of it, but I do wish we had a remarkable leader that had the will and leadership to get us out of it.

But crap almighty was that a massive miscalculation on our (the US's) part. It was mentioned by various peoples that it would come back to haunt is, and it really, really did. That war in Iraq is probably the worst geopolitical and economic blunder the US has ran into, even worse that Vietnam which had at least smaller stakes. Such incredible idiocy and it kills me that the voting public for that blunder shook that off and were the main base for voting in this current administration. I wish there was some reflection on that part where if someone voted for W, especially the re-election, and saw the terrible results, that they might recuse themselves from voting again, but that's not what happened.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:23 PM

51 posts, read 53,603 times
Why would Japan want to accept them?

Japan already have enough internal troubles.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,472,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmodeb View Post
Why would Japan want to accept them?

Japan already have enough internal troubles.
All European countries have internal troubles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World