Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:58 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,306 times

Advertisements

I am not even white but I am tired of Europe and the US always getting heat for not accepting refugees or immigrants while countries like Japan usually don't get called out for not accepting them either. I mean I know that the US and Europe played a role in what is going on in the Middle East and these countries colonized other parts of the world but Japan was also a colonizing power throughout Eastern Asia. If they are not accepting refugees, can't Japan at least take in immigrants from these former colonies just like England, France, and Holland take in immigrants from their former colonies?

Also the prime minister of Japan said that the falling birth rate is a problem in Japan that needs to be addressed before accepting refugees but won't accepting them help with that in the first place?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-refugees-in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 12:18 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,795,360 times
Japan has never touted itself as an immigrant receiving nation.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
What colonies did Japan have?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,980,501 times
China, Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan etc. Bit like Britain, small country with a large Empire.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:24 PM

42 posts, read 50,707 times
Japan didn't get involve in the middle east causing the tremendous chaos that they are going through right now! Europe and the US did however.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
China, Korea, Indonesia, Taiwan etc. Bit like Britain, small country with a large Empire.
Lol. Read a bit of history.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chottandrah View Post
Japan didn't get involve in the middle east causing the tremendous chaos that they are going through right now! Europe and the US did however.
Yeah but they could at least accept immigrants from their former colonies like the European countries have.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:54 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I am not even white but I am tired of Europe and the US always getting heat for not accepting refugees or immigrants while countries like Japan usually don't get called out for not accepting them either. I mean I know that the US and Europe played a role in what is going on in the Middle East and these countries colonized other parts of the world but Japan was also a colonizing power throughout Eastern Asia. If they are not accepting refugees, can't Japan at least take in immigrants from these former colonies just like England, France, and Holland take in immigrants from their former colonies?

Also the prime minister of Japan said that the falling birth rate is a problem in Japan that needs to be addressed before accepting refugees but won't accepting them help with that in the first place?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...an-refugees-in
No country should be blamed for not accepting refugees, even those who where colonial powers in the past. The current generations are not guilty. If USA, UK, Germany, France or Japan don't want to receive refugees, they have this right. However, if someone would be required to receive the refugees, then would make more sense to charge the rich countries of Middle East like Saudi Arabia and EAU.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
No country should be blamed for not accepting refugees, even those who where colonial powers in the past. The current generations are not guilty. If USA, UK, Germany, France or Japan don't want to receive refugees, they have this right. However, if someone would be required to receive the refugees, then would make more sense to charge the rich countries of Middle East like Saudi Arabia and EAU.
Well let's leave refugees aside and just talk about immigration. Even if current generations had nothing to do with colonization they still do benefit from it. So I don't think it is irrational to encourage immigration from countries that were former colonies. If England, France, and Holland accept them so can Japan.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Japan has never touted itself as an immigrant receiving nation.
It still doesn't make it right. If Sweden says they don't want immigrants and they want to keep their culture pure, you would get all these people up in arms and showing disgust for how racist Sweden is. If Japan says the same exact thing, people won't care as much. It is just not fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World