Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 03:35 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,770,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I don't know, but I avoid doing this; people sometimes uses English in some situations in order to sound cult, cool or to mask the professional incompetence. Where I work people mix Portuguese and English. A sample of what I heard last week: "No último brainstorming, vimos que não temos budget para performar o business plan para adressar os operational issues da nossa function".
I try to avoid this too. I'm pretty sure they do it to sound 'cool'.'

That sentence just sounds awful. I could understand the use of the term 'brainstorming,' but the others sound unnecessary.

In Spanish it has become very common to use the word 'email' and link, I still use correo electrónico and vínculo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 06:15 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,514,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post

That sentence just sounds awful. I could understand the use of the term 'brainstorming,' but the others sound unnecessary.

In Spanish it has become very common to use the word 'email' and link, I still use correo electrónico and vínculo.
Believe me, people speak here all the time this manner.
There is no equivalent for "e-mail" and "link" in Brazilian Portuguese. "Correio eletrônico" sounds old-fashioned and "vínculo" will not even be understood.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
There is no equivalent for "e-mail" and "link" in Brazilian Portuguese. "Correio eletrônico" sounds old-fashioned and "vínculo" will not even be understood.
I was referring to Spanish. I don't care if correo electrónico sounds old fashioned, I still use it, sounds more professional.

But, we are referring to computer words, which are new developments, so it is understandable to be using some English words there. Many of the words that were used in the example have a Portuguese equivalent. What is the excuse there?

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 AM

27,340 posts, read 28,415,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Not on a nationwide level, but in many parts of the United States like South Florida, South Texas, and Southern California, English is being replaced by Spanish as more and more illegal immigrants come and most of them have no interest in learning English. In Miami and parts of Los Angeles you can get by with only Spanish so the new immigrants have no reason to learn English.
To my knowledge, all public schools in the U.S. use English as the primary language of instruction.

So, if immigration to the U.S. could be reduced for a generation or so, then the vast majority of children of former Spanish speakers would grow up knowing English.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I was referring to Spanish. I don't care if correo electrónico sounds old fashioned, I still use it, sounds more professional.

But, we are referring to computer words, which are new developments, so it is understandable to be using some English words there. Many of the words that were used in the example have a Portuguese equivalent. What is the excuse there?
Yes, maybe in Spanish the reality is different, but in Brazil is what happens. Like you I prefer translating "correio eletrônico", but the word "E-Mail" is already so universally adopted that I would be probably misunderstood, as if it were another older technology.

In that example, what people says is that the company is from USA and we deal with americans all the time (which indeed cannot serve as excuse), but many executives here speak that way for masking the lack of professional competence. As the work don't show properly their habilities, they try to look better professionals than they really are by speaking that way.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:14 PM

877 posts, read 905,380 times
Quote:
I use "correo" and "enlace". Most people use "link" anyway, and a lot of people use "e-mail".

Old 02-16-2017, 05:51 PM

4,363 posts, read 7,034,022 times
This week's Wall Street Journal newspaper, reports that Kazakhstan (a very large nation, which is the second-largest of all the former USSR republics) is contemplating (considering) changing from Cyrillic (Russian) alphabet to the Roman alphabet. Before 1920's, Kazakh people used Arabic script. In the 1920's, the Bolsheviks changed it to the Latin alphabet. In 1940 the Soviet government changed it again to Cyrillic, in order to strengthen bonds with Russia. Now with the breakup of the Soviet Union, the Kazakh government proposes to change back to the Roman alphabet, however, some people don't want to change, because millions of publications will then be useless, as future generations won't be able to read or understand them. Road signs would have to be changed. Since there are 49 sounds in their language, but only 26 Roman letters, diacritical accent marks may have to be used over letters, to indicate the exact sound represented. They have already changed their country's name to read "QAZAQ" for instance on the logo of their airplanes.

The same news article, reports that Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Azerbaijan changed from Cyrillic to Roman script in 1991, upon the breakup of the Soviet Union.

Last edited by slowlane3; 02-16-2017 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
I use "correo" and "enlace". Most people use "link" anyway, and a lot of people use "e-mail".
The formal translation to the word "link" in Portuguese is "hiperligação". It's not used outside formal contexts both in Brazil and Portugal. "Link" is universal in Brazil; in Portugal the word "liame" is used instead.
"Vínculo" stands for relationship between a person and a group, it's seldom used for objects.
The word "ligação", which is a cognate of "link", stands for "phone call".
"Enlace" doesn't exist in contemporary Portuguese; this word is an archaic synonym for "marriage".

There are also a lot of words naming objects created in this century which would be more interesting to be named after Latin and Greek roots, but it would be a matter for another thread.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:03 AM

626 posts, read 1,232,973 times
Quote:

Call me old fashion but,...I cringe every time I hear "Spanglish" when I communicate with family members in South América (Ecuador) and in the US.

To hear expressions like:
Vamos al "Mall" - instead of = Vamos de compras (al Centro Comercial) / We're going shopping.
Estudiando un "Masterado" - instead of = Estudiando una Maestría / Studying for a Masters degree.
Voy a "Printear" esto. - instead of = Voy a IMPRIMIR esto / I will print this.
Te envío un "Link" = instead of = Te envío un enlace / I'll send you a link.

OT/rant over.

Carry on.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Call me old fashion but,...I cringe every time I hear "Spanglish" when I communicate with family members in South América (Ecuador) and in the US.

To hear expressions like:
Vamos al "Mall" - instead of = Vamos de compras (al Centro Comercial) / We're going shopping.
Estudiando un "Masterado" - instead of = Estudiando una Maestría / Studying for a Masters degree.
Voy a "Printear" esto. - instead of = Voy a IMPRIMIR esto / I will print this.
Te envío un "Link" = instead of = Te envío un enlace / I'll send you a link.

OT/rant over.

Carry on.

I agree 100%, I do the same.

In Brazil they call malls 'shopping.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World