Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,333,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwman2830 View Post
On visa applications I remember they used to post questions such as have you ever been a terrorist, member of a Communist party, planned to overthrow US government or commited Nazi war crimes.

I have a friend that answered yes to Communist and they took him to an interview, but he entered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2017, 07:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,927 times
I think it's ridiculous that they require visas from many places in Eastern Europe and South America. Like why do they require tourist visas for Russians to travel to the United States, this isn't the 1980s anymore I'm hoping that Donald Trump will eliminate visas for Russians to travel to the United States, and I'm hoping that Putin does the same. There is no need to act like the Cold War is still happening. Also, why does the prospering Poland need a visa? Why do Croatia, Romania, Albania, all peaceful countries, why do their citizens need visas to enter here? It is just ridiculous

I also hope that they abolish visas for all countries from South America except Venezuela and Ecuador. Venezuela and Ecuador are really the only illegal immigrant threats now in South America. Colombia and Peru have thriving economies and very few people want to illegally come here. Argentina and Uruguay are wealthy enough that the risk of illegal immigrants is minimal, in fact even legal immigration to the US from those countries is just about non-existent. Paraguayans and Bolivians would rather immigrate to Argentina. Brazil is in a bad situation but the language barrier makes the US an unattractive destination. Just look at the statistics, Ecuador is the only South American country that is a big source of illegal immigration

Demographics of Immigrants in the United States Illegally - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

It's time to stop the irrational fear of South America

Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,470,070 times
^because they are poor.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,629,965 times
Quote:
On visa applications I remember they used to post questions such as have you ever been a terrorist, member of a Communist party, planned to overthrow US government or commited Nazi war crimes.
So have you or have you not?

Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think it's ridiculous that they require visas from many places in Eastern Europe and South America. Like why do they require tourist visas for Russians to travel to the United States, this isn't the 1980s anymore I'm hoping that Donald Trump will eliminate visas for Russians to travel to the United States, and I'm hoping that Putin does the same. There is no need to act like the Cold War is still happening. Also, why does the prospering Poland need a visa? Why do Croatia, Romania, Albania, all peaceful countries, why do their citizens need visas to enter here? It is just ridiculous

I also hope that they abolish visas for all countries from South America except Venezuela and Ecuador. Venezuela and Ecuador are really the only illegal immigrant threats now in South America. Colombia and Peru have thriving economies and very few people want to illegally come here. Argentina and Uruguay are wealthy enough that the risk of illegal immigrants is minimal, in fact even legal immigration to the US from those countries is just about non-existent. Paraguayans and Bolivians would rather immigrate to Argentina. Brazil is in a bad situation but the language barrier makes the US an unattractive destination. Just look at the statistics, Ecuador is the only South American country that is a big source of illegal immigration

Demographics of Immigrants in the United States Illegally - Illegal Immigration - ProCon.org

Poland isn't a wealthy country.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:41 PM

263 posts, read 234,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Poland isn't a wealthy country.
Its prospering but the averave salary is 5.5x lower than in Germany. Been 12 years in the US and no acquintance from Poland I know has ever traveled to the US for a vacation. Those who have come to the States did so because they have a family or immigrated.

The UK is the biggest emigration destination for most Poles emigrating. It was the first country to open the job market after Poland joined the EU in 2004 and as the English speaking country easiest country to adopt. English is nowdays taught as the second language in schools since age 6.

I suspect once the UK leaves the EU, it will still be the top choice unless the UK goes far to restrict work visas then Canada will become most likely the top immigrant destination.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,983,842 times
Quote:
Its prospering but the averave salary is 5.5x lower than in Germany. Been 12 years in the US and no acquintance from Poland I know has ever traveled to the US for a vacation. Those who have come to the States did so because they have a family or immigrated.

The UK is the biggest emigration destination for most Poles emigrating. It was the first country to open the job market after Poland joined the EU in 2004 and as the English speaking country easiest country to adopt. English is nowdays taught as the second language in schools since age 6.

I suspect once the UK leaves the EU, it will still be the top choice unless the UK goes far to restrict work visas then Canada will become most likely the top immigrant destination.
Yes, I know.. They are everywhere here.. Hence my comment.

Polish people probably don't visit the US because of the length of the flight, New York is 9.5 hours away. Nobody is going to fly almost 10 hours for a two week holiday.

Old 02-13-2017, 11:16 PM

8,874 posts, read 8,470,070 times
Quote:

Polish people probably don't visit the US because of the length of the flight, New York is 9.5 hours away. Nobody is going to fly almost 10 hours for a two week holiday.
^That's not an excuse. Millions of Asians visit America annually and the length of the flight is easily over 12 hrs.

Besides it's not like Poland has a small population.

Old 02-14-2017, 01:03 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,206,961 times
Quote:

We flew more than 14 hours for a 10- to 12-day vacation the past two Christmas holidays. We must be crazy people!

Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM

1,007 posts, read 888,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Brazil is in a bad situation but the language barrier makes the US an unattractive destination.

Brasil esta em mal situação mas a barreira de linguagem torna os US um inatrativo destino.

Why is the language a barrier for Brazilians and not for Spanish speakers?

English is the closest language spoken in the earth for Latin languages (French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese) because it is from half Latin and half German origin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World