Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 04:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,054,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are tons of Spanish speakers, so anyone in Texas, Cali, or just about any major city can get around with knowing just Spanish. People who only know Portuguese will be limited to Southern Florida, parts of New York, and maybe LA.
Jersey City, New Jersey and large parts of Providence, RI are filled with Portuguese and Brazilian people. You could easily get around both places using Portuguese only. That said, I never let a language barrier stop me from going anyplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 04:13 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,129,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Yes, I know.. They are everywhere here.. Hence my comment.

Polish people probably don't visit the US because of the length of the flight, New York is 9.5 hours away. Nobody is going to fly almost 10 hours for a two week holiday.
Sydney to LA is 14 hours. Many Australians make that flight, for even shorter visits.

Old 02-14-2017, 05:35 PM

263 posts, read 234,556 times
LOT Polish Airlines will open direct flight between LA and Warsaw. It will no longer be just to New York and Chicago. Lufthansa fills the gap between big and small towns in Poland to other cities in the US via Munich or Frankfurt as the main hubs.

Old 02-15-2017, 04:30 AM

1,001 posts, read 885,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
There are way more Brazilian people in the US than are accounted for in statistics IMO. Here where I live I just see and hear more and more with the passing of the years. I know the community has grown exponentially in Miami and the east coast.

Illegal immigration(without papers) from South America to the US is rare because it is too difficult. The poor stay where they are, migrate internally, or migrate to bordering countries or other countries in the region.

In the US, many do overstay their visas, but they marry Americans to 'cure' it.
Brazil is a huge country with more 200 millions almost 2 Mexico if Brazil would had 1 million people in USA yet is a small number. With minimum monthly salary in Brazil is possible get airplane tickets to USA or border countries. It is not Guatemala or El Salvador so if Brazilians in considerable number really want immigrate to USA, Trump would get president decades ago, would be a big trouble to USA. More than 2 millions Brazilians visit USA every year, Brazil is the fifth country in the world that send more visitors to USA just behind Canada, Japan, UK and Mexico

I think what main reasons what Brazilian don’t emigrate in large are two.
1 – The big internal differences of development. Slums (favelas) in Southeast cities of Brazil are filled with people from poor northeast states so they have much easier option for improve life before think go abroad.
2 – 40 millions of Brazilians if want get nationalities like Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, German, Polish and Japanese that open doors legally to Europe or Japan even who doesn’t have ancestrally only need marry Brazilian who has. So is better emigrate legally to Europe and Japan than illegally to USA although these people are not poor Brazilians are mostly southern and paulista middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
There are tons of Spanish speakers, so anyone in Texas, Cali, or just about any major city can get around with knowing just Spanish. People who only know Portuguese will be limited to Southern Florida, parts of New York, and maybe LA.
Portuguese and Spanish are mutually understandable languages, and English is not so distant.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:25 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,530,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Portuguese and Spanish are mutually understandable languages, and English is not so distant.
More or less. Native Spanish speakers have trouble with understanding Portuguese in the spoken form.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:51 AM

1,001 posts, read 885,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
More or less. Native Spanish speakers have trouble with understanding Portuguese in the spoken form.
But is possible keep a conversation any way, especially when people learn the difference in pronounce and main used words that are different in both language.

Of course people should study the other Latin language for get enough proficiency for business, college or white collar jobs, BUT for keep conversation is not a problem.
I used be Spanish teacher in the past here in Brazil and Portuguese teacher in Spain and Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World