Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: WHose English is more understandable - Americans or Brits?
Americans - They started it, we end it 18 41.86%
Brits - We started it and perfected it 21 48.84%
Everyone should speak French - (how many Frenchies do we have?) 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,255,060 times

Advertisements

So whose English is more understandable, Americans or English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 03:46 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,362,821 times
Which variants are you referring to? Obviously, the ones spoken by news announcers are pretty much on par. Overall, I think the more extreme British dialects of the UK, say the English spoken in Aberdeen or variants like Scouse, are harder to understand than American dialects.

Then again, that doesn't make British accents/dialects worse than American ones.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:24 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,255,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Which variants are you referring to? Obviously, the ones spoken by news announcers are pretty much on par. Overall, I think the more extreme British dialects of the UK, say the English spoken in Aberdeen or variants like Scouse, are harder to understand than American dialects.

Then again, that doesn't make British accents/dialects worse than American ones.
As a general rule. I work for a British division of an American company and have several Brits working for me, there's a couple of guys that I almost never understand what they say. When I ask if they don't understand me any time and they say they have no problem understanding me (I would say my English is West Coast American). I understand no more of what the Scots say than I would a Frenchman (and I don't speak French).

Old 02-20-2017, 04:44 AM

8,879 posts, read 8,494,982 times
Where's this "better English" bull**** going? What's with this neediness of proving that a certain nationality speaks their native language better than others?

Of all the silly obsessions this forum has seen this is amongst the most ridiculous ones, and that's saying a lot.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:56 AM

1,147 posts, read 721,834 times
Swedes speak better English than both.

UK is fine, but there are some really rough accents that aren't so pleasant sounding.

Americans are easily understandable, but they speak very loud. You can hear an American from several kilometres away.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:05 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,307,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post

UK is fine, but there are some really rough accents that aren't so pleasant sounding.

Americans are easily understandable, but they speak very loud. You can hear an American from several kilometres away.
I agree with Chips.

Though ...I think Canadians.....oh never mind ....don't want to get into any arguments

Some British accents are very tough for me to understand, easiest is RP,
London, and south coast.

I have no problems with any US accent....even Boston

Old 02-20-2017, 05:08 AM

Old 02-20-2017, 05:10 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,098,415 times
Americans and British people speak the same language, how are you supposed to 'rank' it? You are talking about 'accents' and even then how are we supposed to decide which accent is 'better'? Incidently I don't think there is such a thing as a single 'British' or 'American' accent, I think there many accents in both countries.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I agree with Chips.

Though ...I think Canadians.....oh never mind ....don't want to get into any arguments

Some British accents are very tough for me to understand, easiest is RP,
London, and south coast.

I have no problems with any US accent....even Boston
Canadians, very pleasant English speakers in general.

They pronounce their words rather clearly. They sound relaxed when they speak too.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:29 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,845,283 times
If you take the full spectrum of the British Isles accents/dialects and compare them to the accents/dialects spoken in the whole of the US in regards to understandability, well shiat, the US wins hands down. From the perspective of a non-native language speaker at least.

Last edited by KuuKulgur; 02-20-2017 at 05:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World