Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:13 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,059,078 times

Advertisements

America too since it is so close to Alaska
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:14 PM

27,641 posts, read 28,738,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You are looking at ethnic Russians here, which are by definition the "Eastern Europeans"))))
It makes you wonder - If Siberia is 95% ethnic Slavs, then does that make it de facto Europe even though it is technically part of Asia?

Nobody is going to look at these people and say they're Asian.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:24 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,946,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It makes you wonder - If Siberia is 95% ethnic Slavs, then does that make it de facto Europe even though it is technically part of Asia?

Well Asia is very diverse place, are Lebanese and Armenians Asian? They are in Asia but they look more like europeans than people from eastern Asia. I think it's kind of stupid how "Asian" is only used to describe people from eastern asia, you don't even hear Indians being described as Asian. Honestly I don't even know why it's offensive to call east asians oriental, it seems to be a perfect description (someone from the orient/east) just as using westerner to describe someone fromt the western world, or middle eastern to describe someone from the middle east. But I guess calling people from eastern Asia "Asian" is not offensive even though a huge chunk of the continent is ignored. But oh well, I guess it's like saying american, technically it should describe all people on the American continents, but is primarily used to describe people from the united states.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,946,116 times
Quote:

if Maine is 95% white does that make it European?

or what about Saint Pierre and Miquelon? It's a group of islands of the coast of Newfoundland and is still owned by France and thus part of the EU, is it European? The inhabitants surely are.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:01 AM

1,001 posts, read 885,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
if Maine is 95% white does that make it European?

or what about Saint Pierre and Miquelon? It's a group of islands of the coast of Newfoundland and is still owned by France and thus part of the EU, is it European? The inhabitants surely are.
But in the case of Siberia is different, in few words, how they are connected by land with Russia and empty or with very few native Siberians this European country just extended Russia to there.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:36 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,611,430 times
Quote:

I think that it's more like 70% ethnic Slavs and yes, I believe it makes Siberia de facto Europe, since Russians are basically in charge; their culture is dominant, the cities look no different than in "Russia proper" and so on.
I post on this thread Youtube videos of top and bottom 10 Russian cities; some of them are in Siberia ( I think Barnaul mentioned in you video is one of the bottom 10, so if I'll find the videos, I'll post them too)))
It will give a better idea of how European those cities in Siberia look like)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World