Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,187 times

Advertisements

Mexico.
Getting more characters into my post.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM

87 posts, read 290,462 times
I would probably go to France or Australia.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:24 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Am already making plans to bunker down in Wyoming or one of the Dakotas. A few years off yet though....

Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,102,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Tell me about the weather in Austrailia, is there a place there where it never gets cold?
Your best options for warmth year round would be one of the following:
Alice Springs - (near Uluru aka Ayers Rock) in the center of the country, which is a desert climate.
Darwin - Located near the Indian Ocean in the Northern Territories and within the tropical zone. Hot and humid.
Cairns - milder than Darwin and on the Pacific - gateway to the northern Great Barrier Reef
Brisbane and the Gold Coast - it could get slightly cool here, but hardly cold. Located on the Pacific south of Cairns but well north of Sydney.
Sydney - It gets cool enough that some say its cold, but I don't believe there's ever been a recorded temp here lower than 0 Celsius/ 32 Farenheit. Lived here without heat or A/C and it was not a problem.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
Norway or Sweden. I'd much rather live there than the United States anyway.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Canada...duh...but aside from that...
Mexico Because it is the foreign country i have the Most experience with, more then Canada. I have Family to fall back on too. (more specifically probably Aguascalientes, San Luis Potosi, Guadalajara, Chihuahua, Parral, or Monterey.
after Mexico
The Philippines, everyone speaks english. I would fit in, and have experience with the culture...and have family...probably live in Manila or Cebu
Taiwan- Experience with culture and Family there, probably Taipei
Singapore-English speaking, culture familiarity, i would blend in more, 1st world...
Australia/ New Zealand/ UK- all english speaking countries and familiarity with culture
Spain- Spanish speaking country, uhh Madrid?
Central or Souther America- Spanish speaking countries...
China- Experience with culture and obscure family. (probably around Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, or Xiamen)

Old 03-05-2008, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 48,662 times
If I coul still afford it somewhere in Europe. I've never been there, but once hosted a french student, it seems like a way better country than the US now already I guess all german speaking nations; germay, austria and switzerland, are socially quite stable, they don#t have that massive poverty we have right now (seems like everybody in port arthur, tx is poor) and a muchlower criminality. I read that Berlin, a town of 3.5 million people had half the number of homicides than Beaumont, tx, a town of about 110,000 people (that's in real numbers, not per 100,000!!). Sounds nice to me. I disagree with people who think that if the US is in deep recession europe will go down with it, becaue europe is much less service oriented, they have still a lot more industry, which usually are better paying jobs than retail, a more stable currency, and also people aren't as indebted. I heard in France there isa huge socia stigma on taking a loan. It means you live above your means, and few people do it, except for huge investments like a house. Here I know loads of people who make debts to buy clothes or a new flatscreen. Most people I know are in debt, and they all seem to be reasonably intelligent people.

However, if i couldn't afford Europe anymore I'd just take Canada, I've once been to Toronto, the Niagara Falls and Montreal and they seemed to be fun, but very clean and safe cities. Coming from Minneapolis I wouldn't mind the climate.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:00 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
I believe I would go back to the U.K. or maybe Germany. But, if the U.S. was 3rd world I can't see those countries being better off. So I'd say Taiwan (love the place) or maybe Australia (never been).

Old 03-05-2008, 09:07 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmpls View Post
If I coul still afford it somewhere in Europe. I've never been there, but once hosted a french student, it seems like a way better country than the US now already I guess all german speaking nations; germay, austria and switzerland, are socially quite stable, they don#t have that massive poverty we have right now (seems like everybody in port arthur, tx is poor) and a muchlower criminality. I read that Berlin, a town of 3.5 million people had half the number of homicides than Beaumont, tx, a town of about 110,000 people (that's in real numbers, not per 100,000!!). Sounds nice to me. I disagree with people who think that if the US is in deep recession europe will go down with it, becaue europe is much less service oriented, they have still a lot more industry, which usually are better paying jobs than retail, a more stable currency, and also people aren't as indebted. I heard in France there isa huge socia stigma on taking a loan. It means you live above your means, and few people do it, except for huge investments like a house. Here I know loads of people who make debts to buy clothes or a new flatscreen. Most people I know are in debt, and they all seem to be reasonably intelligent people.

However, if i couldn't afford Europe anymore I'd just take Canada, I've once been to Toronto, the Niagara Falls and Montreal and they seemed to be fun, but very clean and safe cities. Coming from Minneapolis I wouldn't mind the climate.
You are right that Europeans don't have as much debt, but you're wrong to think their economies aren't service oriented. Have you ever even been to Europe? And anyone with any knowledge of economics will tell you how intertwined the world is (and especially the West) so if America sneezes, the EU gets a cold (and vice versa).

Listen, I agree the European way of life is nice, but you can't say its better than the U.S. its just different. Europe has plenty of problems.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
If it got that bad here the rest of the world would be as bad or worse... Nope I'll stay here and we'll set up a little Surfdom........
That's chapter 5 in the manual....
"Gain control of remaining population in the area"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World