U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 01:07 PM

3,171 posts, read 4,220,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As a practical matter, there are two options, both of which preclude the scenario of the OP.

1. If the US became a third-world country, every other country in the world probably would, too, so there would be no advantage to going elsewhere.

2. Or, if some countries remained first-world, they would not let Amerians in, any more readily than we let Mexicans or Africans or Asians in. Even today, there are very few countries that an Amerian can fairly easily immigrat into and live there. Most developed countries today keep Amerians out, because they don't want us sponging off their free health care.
I feel it has more to do with the fact that most of Europe already has enough highly-skilled workers and a wave of middle-class Americans would overwhlem their not-so-fast growing economies. If America did collaspe, I could imagine Japan, China, India and the EU buying up our companies and maybe bringing some of us over there. Maybe the UK will take us back?
Rate this post positively

Old 11-23-2008, 01:27 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,270,420 times
Dubai or Nigeria.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:51 AM

596 posts, read 1,603,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
In spite of Bush's and Greenspan's efforts to turn the US into a third world country, the US standard of living is still extremely high. Regardless of how bad things get, we will all be dead before the US standard of living is not in the top 5 or top 10 countries in the world.

Well, we're at number 10 right now and slipping according to this UN study which mirrors other studies.

Human Development Index
The UN Human Development Index (HDI) is a comparative measure of poverty, literacy, education, life expectancy, childbirth, and other factors for countries worldwide. It is a standard means of measuring well-being, especially child welfare. The index was developed in 1990 by the Pakistani economist Mahbub ul Haq, and has been used since 1993 by the United Nations Development Programme in its annual Human Development Report.

The HDI measures the average achievements in a country in three basic dimensions of human development:

A long and healthy life, as measured by life expectancy at birth.
Knowledge, as measured by the adult literacy rate (with two-thirds weight) and the combined primary, secondary, and tertiary gross enrolment ratio (with one-third weight).
A decent standard of living, as measured by gross domestic product (GDP) per capita at purchasing power parity (PPP) in USD.

Each year, UN member states are listed and ranked according to these measures. Those high on the list often advertise it, as a means of attracting talented immigrants (economically, individual capital) or discouraging emigration.

An alternative measure, focusing on the amount of poverty in a country, is the Human Poverty Index.

Top thirty countries (HDI range from 0.963 down to 0.878)
Norway (=)
Iceland (↑ 5)
Australia (=)
Luxembourg (↑ 11)
Canada (↓ 1)
Sweden (↓ 4)
Switzerland (↑ 4)
Ireland (↑ 2)
Belgium (↓ 3)
United States (↓ 2)
Japan (↓ 2)
Netherlands (↓ 7)
Finland (=)
Denmark (↑ 3)
United Kingdom (↓ 3)
France (=)
Austria (↓ 3)
Italy (↑ 3)
New Zealand (↓ 1)
Germany (↓ 1)
Spain (↓ 1)
Hong Kong (↑ 1)
Israel (↓ 1)
Greece (=)
Singapore (=)
Slovenia (↑ 1)
Portugal (↓ 1)
South Korea (=)
Cyprus (↑ 1)
Barbados (↓ 1)

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 AM

191 posts, read 762,915 times
I would be interested in moving to a place that is booming and will be for at least a while. Because I think about the Polish and Slovaks and Italians that came to Pennsylvania and there were readily available jobs in the mines and mills. Someplace where I could just show up and find a decent job by the end of the day, performing some task that is booming but not oppressive, like the steel mills used to be 50 years ago. And though those immigrants to PA didn't speak English, they settled into their enclaves to make life in a strange land more bearable. So I would need a bit of an American enclave, because I ONLY speak English. Then, having found my new career and my English speaking neighborhood, I could settle in and begin to acclimate to my new surroundings, and learn some of the new language.

So many Appalachians went to Detroit and Cleveland and the industrial towns in the 50s and 60s, because the jobs were readily available. They got their jobs in the plants, settled in neighborhoods with other hillbilly migrants, and began to adjust to their new industrialized, flat land environment. It actually sounds easy to me, though they probably encountered prejudice.

So, is there any place in North America, South America, Europe, or Australia that I can experience this today? Or are those days over for the immediate future. If they are, I might as well stay in West Virginia.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 PM

895 posts, read 2,244,303 times
Niceguy your study is really old, this is the one from 2008. Actually your rankings must be from like 2000.
  1. Iceland 0.968 ()
  2. Norway 0.968 ()
  3. Canada 0.967 ( 1)
  4. Australia 0.965 ( 1)
  5. Ireland 0.960 ()
  6. Netherlands 0.958 ( 3)
  7. Sweden 0.958 ( 1)
  8. Japan 0.956 ()
  9. Luxembourg 0.956 ( 9)
  10. Switzerland 0.955 ( 3)
  11. France 0.955 ( 1)
  12. Finland 0.954 ( 1)
  13. Denmark 0.952 ( 1)
  14. Austria 0.951 ( 1)
  15. United States 0.950 ( 3)
For #1 country

Quote:
Canada has been ranked the highest eight times, followed by Norway at six times. Japan has been ranked highest three times and Iceland twice.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:29 PM

6,564 posts, read 13,363,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
I love America too much to leave. Would you stay or would you emigrate ?
I'll probably emigrate even if it stays where it is, at the bottom rank of the first world.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:21 PM

11,137 posts, read 23,068,163 times
If that happened Kentucky would become an independent country and put huge taxes on our coal which produces 50% of electricity in the US

Old 06-03-2009, 08:04 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,060,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If that happened Kentucky would become an independent country and put huge taxes on our coal which produces 50% of electricity in the US

Huh?

I know it's a hypothetical topic, folks, but let's try and sort stick with the topic

Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 PM

3,162 posts, read 10,940,944 times
Well I live in a "third world" country, and I also lived in another one "third world" country for a couple of years, and I also lived in the USA for sometime, so I'm not scared of that "dreaded" third world. Actually I enjoy my life, I enjoy visiting the US too, but I feel more confortable in those "dreaded" third world countries.

imho the "first world" is overvalued. but that's just me.

So, i really don't care much if a country becomes first world or third world, what matters to me is the quality of life i'm having, which is independent of the "status" of a country. imho it's more a state of mind, and travelling, living in other countries, learning other cultures and languages opens the mind, freeing it from old ideas and concepts that restrict it's freedom.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 06-03-2009 at 11:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM

10,234 posts, read 15,122,150 times
Hmmm. I would wait first to see the effect in America first. If I live out retirement with the ability to grow a lot of my own food then that would be a concern solved. Maybe.

Heaven help the US if it ever came to that with all the immigration here.

I'd probably go along with someone else's answer about Spain or Portugal, but the economy in those countries isn't so good, either. And it would definitely be a major culture shock/change for me. Going somewhere would only be another pasture with its own "pies".

Oh second thought, maybe I'd seek out another Kervorkian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.