Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:56 PM

412 posts, read 509,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I agree with the choice of city, but I'd bump up the date to 1980s.
Still prefer the old days. If I could be born in 1830 and die in 1910, I'd be happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I have a real chip on my shoulder about Taiwan, unfortunately Taipei is on it.

It's just impossible to not be upset and annoyed when you are a local, especially when you follow the news. A day literally can't be passed without some infuriating bull**** happening.
I have never really placed Taipei on my radar as a place to live or visit. That said, EVA flies from Toronto direct to Taipei and given that I sympathize with the Taiwanese people greatly and actually admire them as a foreigner (Canadian), would you recommend it as a place to visit. Unlike China, I don't need a visa so it is easy peasy just to book a flight. As a gay, I also see Taiwan as a progressive Asian country. Maybe not as progressive as other countries in the west, but certainly a standout in Asia.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:45 PM

I happened upon this video on another forum titled why cities are where they they are. It gets into such things as spheres of influence and also which geographic location in the world is the most 'perfect' for a city. I was rather surprised with the conclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PWWtqfwacQ

Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I have never really placed Taipei on my radar as a place to live or visit. That said, EVA flies from Toronto direct to Taipei and given that I sympathize with the Taiwanese people greatly and actually admire them as a foreigner (Canadian), would you recommend it as a place to visit. Unlike China, I don't need a visa so it is easy peasy just to book a flight. As a gay, I also see Taiwan as a progressive Asian country. Maybe not as progressive as other countries in the west, but certainly a standout in Asia.
No one really places Taipei on their radar as a place to visit let alone to live, maybe except for some HKers and Japanese lol.

I guess it depends on your preferences, check out Lonely Planet or stuff like that and see if anything interests you, personally I find Taiwan boring af, but I'm the kind of local that hardly ever goes out so you shouldn't ask me.

I'm not so sure about the progressive part, to me it's not nearly progressive enough, and a standout in Asia doesn't really mean anything as Asia as a whole is like stuck in the Edwardian era, it's like being a C- student in a class where everyone fails their asses. There are indeed lots of gay bars/clubs in Taipei and foreigners are usually very marketable.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No one really places Taipei on their radar as a place to visit let alone to live, maybe except for some HKers and Japanese lol.

I guess it depends on your preferences, check out Lonely Planet or stuff like that and see if anything interests you, personally I find Taiwan boring af, but I'm the kind of local that hardly ever goes out so you shouldn't ask me.

I'm not so sure about the progressive part, to me it's not nearly progressive enough, and a standout in Asia doesn't really mean anything as Asia as a whole is like stuck in the Edwardian era, it's like being a C- student in a class where everyone fails their asses. There are indeed lots of gay bars/clubs in Taipei and foreigners are usually very marketable.
Well how can you find it boring if you never go out and you don't know what your own city/country has to offer lol.. As for progressive - perhaps the people are more so than the laws but I get your point about what its compared to in Asia.

Lots of gay bars and clubs is great and friendly locals all the more. I've read some pretty good things about it. I think it might be worth a stopover sometime en route to my favourite part of the world S.E Asia.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Well how can you find it boring if you never go out and you don't know what your own city/country has to offer lol.. As for progressive - perhaps the people are more so than the laws but I get your point about what its compared to in Asia.

Lots of gay bars and clubs is great and friendly locals all the more. I've read some pretty good things about it. I think it might be worth a stopover sometime en route to my favourite part of the world S.E Asia.
Lots of people don't go out that much in their own cities but they still know how things are like for various reasons. The laws might be changed this month (gay marriage) but I'm not keeping my hopes up, most of the ****s in power are still homophobic ****heads.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
The laws might be changed this month (gay marriage) but I'm not keeping my hopes up, most of the ****s in power are still homophobic ****heads.
These things take time but a courageous populace is a great start.. A little healty protest movement for equality never hurt any country in its bid for expanded human rights

Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
Still prefer the old days. If I could be born in 1830 and die in 1910, I'd be happy.
No airplanes, internet and tv... no thank you.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
These things take time but a courageous populace is a great start.. A little healty protest movement for equality never hurt any country in its bid for expanded human rights
There have been heavy protests but the government here usually ignores people's wishes.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:40 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
No airplanes, internet and tv... no thank you.
and bad breath plus awful body odor with dandruff!!!! (Nobody brushed teeth back then, let alone frequent bathing)

There were no ways to cure cancer, HIV, flu, and many many other diseases/illnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World