Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 12:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
This sums up my feelings and experience as i have seen as well. From what I have personally observed there seems to be a good relationship with a friendly sibling type rivalry between us and our friends to the North. We don't always agree on everything but at the end of the day were more alike than not and know we have each other's back.
Noting of course that Canada's foreign policy differs from the US. Cuba for instance and us not joining you in the last Gulf War.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I live in a US /Canada border city and if I go 100 miles north or go 100 miles south either way it's very similar. You'll know your in a different country but it feels very similar.

I probably have more in common culturally with Canadians than I do with people in Arizona.
Near the border absolutely. The changes at first seem subtle, although I'm constantly amazed at how many people in Seattle have never been to Vancouver, or how many in Spokane haven't even been to BC.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:03 PM

34 posts, read 48,907 times
Northern US = Canada

Canada is quite different from the American south or the South west though. (Culturally the South West overlaps with Northern Mexico). Cowboys, semi-arid landscapes, spicy food.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:14 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Noting of course that Canada's foreign policy differs from the US. Cuba for instance and us not joining you in the last Gulf War.
Really?

Perhaps you don't realize that your country most certainly has been in iraq, Afghanistan, libya, Syria etc. How do you not realize you've had your own military members killed in action?

And by the way, Canadian joint task force 2 (JTF2) is a top tier special operations unit (think seal team 6 and delta force) that is all the hot spots fighting terrorists.

Old 03-10-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Really?

Perhaps you don't realize that your country most certainly has been in iraq, Afghanistan, libya, Syria etc. How do you not realize you've had your own military members killed in action?

And by the way, Canadian joint task force 2 (JTF2) is a top tier special operations unit (think seal team 6 and delta force) that is all the hot spots fighting terrorists.
I am TOTALLY aware of where and when Canada's has been.

My point is that we don't just follow US foreign policy. Cuba's is the obvious one, but perhaps you are unaware that we didn't join you in the last Iraq war.

Canada's 'No' To Iraq War A Defining Moment For Prime Minister, Even 10 Years Later

Old 03-10-2017, 02:56 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,969 times
Quote:
A lot of it has to do with ignorance. New Zealanders, as do Canadians, are mistaken for another Nationality. Same with Austrians explaining they aren't German.

So these groups get accused of being insecure,(mainly Canadians it seems ) or lacking their own culture, when really what they are doing is explaining who they really are and not what people think they are.

I've experienced this in real life and on this board. Canadians are accused of being nothing but " not Americans" and when differences are brought up, we are shot down

God forbid we even try and do anything to preserve and create our own culture.
We get quite a few Canadian TV programs here in Australia; mainstream shows like 'Heartland' and lot of indigenous issues/focussed material shown on our NITV network. They're all pretty distinct from US (and Australian) programs.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:07 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,050 times
Quote:
Totally depends where in the US and Canada the person is from. There are many words where the emphasis is said differently. Permit, and detail are just two. I can tell some Americans by the way they pronounce it.
About is a dead give away too, but I can usually tell before getting to the key words.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:15 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songrant View Post
Northern US = Canada

Canada is quite different from the American south or the South west though. (Culturally the South West overlaps with Northern Mexico). Cowboys, semi-arid landscapes, spicy food.
The problem here is thinking "culture" is a single thing that you can be close to or far from. Two places can be very similar in some respects and very different in others. How you weight those different categories is completely subjective and context dependent. That's why these threads constantly comes up, because by its very nature the question cannot have a definitive answer.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:23 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songrant View Post
Northern US = Canada

I get your point.

Though Canada does have cowboys... in southern Alberta, SW Saskatchewan, and interior BC.
Huge ranches, some still old school.

Also some semi-arid landscapes too, in same locations as cowboys/ranches.
Not nearly as huge areas as in western US.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:04 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
I live in a US /Canada border city and if I go 100 miles north or go 100 miles south either way it's very similar. You'll know your in a different country but it feels very similar.

I probably have more in common culturally with Canadians than I do with people in Arizona.
Same here. There isn't much difference between Michigan and Ontario. Particularly the rural areas, and the smaller cities and towns. In Michigan, we also say ''eh?", we have maple syrup fresh from the trees, we play euchre. It shocked me when years later I heard those were unique Canadian things that only Canadians did.

I researched the euchre-playing, ''eh"-saying Americans...and its around 40-50 million Americans....throughout the Northern parts of the Midwest..which is an even larger population than all of Canada itself.

Granted, the U.S. is a big place, and there is fantastic diversity, and much of the U.S. isn't like that 40-50 million in the upper MIdwest.....but still. Canada feels very culturally similar to a Midwesterner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World