Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Where are you from and let me shoot you down with statistics? Is radical Islam a danger? Yes. Should we completely lose our head? No. Muslims live here we have to find a way to live in peace. Or what would you prefer? Genocide? Typical right. All these grips and no answers. Sick of it. I am not talking about condoning I am talking about the battle of ideas and debate it is the ONLY way to win this fight.
I simply stated the fact that Europe is not particularly "peaceful".
More peaceful places than London and Paris include NYC (after 9/11), Moscow, Tokyo, Shanghai, Rio...

Yes you can always find reasons, and it's up to you to solve the problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
NYC safer than London? Prove it. And actually prove it ffs. Because I am sure there were triple the murders in New York to London last year.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And the American will reply:

"You have more vacation or any vacation for that matter, a smaller house and car, and gasoline costs more but you don't drive as much. Maternal leave, tax-paid healthcare, education, and no need to save up money for anything. But you actually live. You have a life and enjoy it."

Think when an European granddad sits down with his grandchildren. They were in this country and that country experiencing things. Over and over again. And the American granddad says, "well, do you remember that Thanksgiving when we played darts in that room nobody ever uses, and that's my only memory because I was so obsessed with making money that I cried in my SUV every day close to a burnout".

That's the only play you Americans have: bigger cars which power you can't use, bigger houses you don't need. Like that would mean anything, when it means nothing. Many well-off Americans don't ever get a passport in their whole life. The American obsession with making money so to get bigger stuff is your only goal. You live for work, not work for living. It's sad and depressing.
Coffee on the go. We Europeans don't do that. We sit down at a café, enjoy the moment and life, even if it's just for 15-30 minutes. You don't do that. You must hurry back so you can buy more stuff to fill the void in your life.
And this American would say; I was born on the wrong continent haha. Seriously, my boss at work recently asked if I wanted to be full time. I told him no. I work part time by choice. I used to work a lot. I mean A LOT just so I could make as much as possible. I did make decent money too but I wasn't happy. I never spent time with people I enjoy, did the things I like to do or just took in life. I worked, went home, went to sleep and that was it. That's not really living, it's just existing. So I agree with you 100%.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I simply stated the fact that Europe is not particularly "peaceful".
More peaceful places than London and Paris include NYC (after 9/11), Moscow, Tokyo, Shanghai, Rio...

Yes you can always find reasons, and it's up to you to solve the problems.
London is no less 'peaceful' now than its ever been and its still far safer than say Chicago, there have been terrorist attacks in London since forever, remember the part US funded IRA and their murderous bombs?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ishopsgate.JPG

take a look at the above picture of London after the IRA had a go in 1993, now compare that to one man and a knife, do you think we should 'ban' everybody Irish based on the above?

Here is something for you to think about, London has NO areas to avoid if you are a tourist, you can wander in EVERY part of town can you say the same of New York or Chicago, or Miami? Perhaps you can tell me?

Florida shooting: Why were British tourists James Cooper and James gunned down? | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Here is something for you to think about, London has NO areas to avoid if you are a tourist, you can wander in EVERY part of town can you say the same of New York or Chicago, or Miami? Perhaps you can tell me?
New York is actually one of safest cities in America right now. They had a really good mayor (Rudy Giuliani) who was credited for dramatically reducing the crime rate in the 1990s. There are probably still some unsafe areas in New York. But those are far less than they used to be decades ago. You can walk in most areas of New York and feel relatively safe.

Chicago, on the other hand, has some areas with a lot of crime. Gang-related shootings in that city are really out of control. I wouldn't go to those places.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:32 AM

2,948 posts, read 2,917,363 times
I don't get all the buzz about this ranking. In a much more important global ranking like the Human Development Index one is, the USA actually ranks at 11th position, and even lower at 19th position in the Inequality Adjusted version.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
It is unlikely that a tourist visiting an American city will face any kind of violence. The places where tourists go to are usually isolated from the unsafe areas.

You would have to know where the high crime neighborhoods are and go to those places intentionally to risk getting into any trouble.

Even then, you would have to get involved in drug dealing or gang activity to have a high probability of getting shot.

Old 03-25-2017, 12:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
I don't get all the buzz about this ranking. In a much more important global ranking like the Human Development Index one is, the USA actually ranks at 11th position, and even lower at 19th position in the Inequality Adjusted version.
How are these rankings more important than any other? They're all totally irrelevant to us as individuals. My quality of life is my own and is not predicated on whether or not people in another country live better than me or not. Concerning myself with who has more or has it better than me does nothing to improve my life. If somebody told me tomorrow that the US was the first on a list or the very last, it would not change my life one iota. How would your life change if somebody handed you a list and Argentina was at the top of it?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
How are these rankings more important than any other? They're all totally irrelevant to us as individuals. My quality of life is my own and is not predicated on whether or not people in another country live better than me or not.
Indeed. I would be extremely unhappy to live in your dream society.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:27 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Indeed. I would be extremely unhappy to live in your dream society.
That's because you don't understand it. Anyway, it's hardly a dream anymore. Leftists have turned it into Europe-lite.

You can keep your miserable weather. Screw that. Small wonder so many people bite the wrong end of a gun there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World