Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:36 AM

153 posts, read 197,091 times

Advertisements

Based on your experiences, where do you personally believe are the most enlightened cities in North America
and the rest of the world?

By "enlightened", I am referring to intelligent/aware, possibly creative, open-minded and just an overall sense of rational, independent thinking that doesn't follow the herd mentality.

Curious to see some input. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2017, 03:08 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaboy92 View Post
Based on your experiences, where do you personally believe are the most enlightened cities in North America
and the rest of the world?

By "enlightened", I am referring to intelligent/aware, possibly creative, open-minded and just an overall sense of rational, independent thinking that doesn't follow the herd mentality.

Curious to see some input. Thanks!

Nowhere in the world. People in general are stupid.

Your best bet might be Antarctica due to the small population and the fact that it is pretty much only scientists.

Aside from that, 99% of people are closed minded, accepting only their views as open minded. If you don't agree with them you're wrong.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:33 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Unfortunately, I would have to agree that most people in general are not very intelligent.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Reykjavik? They seem to have it down up there. Granted not many people.

Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
I found people in Washington DC to be quite open minded.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:27 AM

367 posts, read 409,309 times
In what passes for western culture these days, I think the only notable people who qualify for this are the new breed of educated conservative Christians now coming out of western colleges, who are armed to the teeth in pretty much every domain of knowledge, in science, philosophy, theology, the arts, economics and finance.

The key difference is that, even though they have their own beliefs, and will defend them tooth and nail if the need arises, I find that they rarely want to hurt others, are curious to know how you think and, most importantly, they are willing to put up with (and befriend) people who hold views that are diametrically opposed to theirs.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:50 AM

367 posts, read 409,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Nowhere in the world. People in general are stupid.

Your best bet might be Antarctica due to the small population and the fact that it is pretty much only scientists.

Aside from that, 99% of people are closed minded, accepting only their views as open minded. If you don't agree with them you're wrong.
I've been a member of the science/STEM community for pretty much all of my adult life. It's as biased, petty, frivolous, closed-minded and dogmatic as any floridly partisan political group in the world. The only difference is that, at least until recently, they did a better PR job of hiding their undesirable tendencies from the unwashed masses.

Neither is physical science, especially of the type that warrants Arctic/Antarctic research, the most intellectually rigorous domain of knowledge. Not by a long shot. That honor belongs to analytic philosophy, followed probably by the more abstract subsets of mathematics.

Last edited by MarineBlue; 03-15-2017 at 04:13 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 06:03 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
I think you should give Riyadh a go.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineBlue View Post
In what passes for western culture these days, I think the only notable people who qualify for this are the new breed of educated conservative Christians now coming out of western colleges, who are armed to the teeth in pretty much every domain of knowledge, in science, philosophy, theology, the arts, economics and finance.

The key difference is that, even though they have their own beliefs, and will defend them tooth and nail if the need arises, I find that they rarely want to hurt others, are curious to know how you think and, most importantly, they are willing to put up with (and befriend) people who hold views that are diametrically opposed to theirs.
I would think that conservative Christians would be the opposite of what the OP is asking about which is enlightenment.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 22 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I think you should give Riyadh a go.
Or perhaps India or Nepal where Spiritual Enlightenment linked to Buddhism and Hinduism, and involves meditation and the cleansing of the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World