U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which country do you think is the most technologically advanced?
Japan 141 46.38%
China 6 1.97%
South Korea 12 3.95%
Singapore 5 1.64%
Finland 5 1.64%
Germany 6 1.97%
France 4 1.32%
United Kingdom 8 2.63%
United States 99 32.57%
Australia 1 0.33%
Italy 0 0%
Switzerland 2 0.66%
Russia 3 0.99%
Other (specify) 12 3.95%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:28 PM

14 posts, read 74,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Japan has a reputation for being very technologically advanced and futuristic, especially in the Tokyo area. I was wondering if you think there is a country even more advanced than Japan? I hear Finland is up there too. What are your thoughts?

Whatever? Has Japan been to the Moon? to Mars? Who makes the best jets in the world? The best Battleships in the world? What military has the most techologically advanced weapons in the world? Sony vs Apple? Apple anyday.
John Deere vs who knows, they haven't been able to produce a product that actually compares to Deere. Harley vs. Honda? Harley. Honda trucks vs GM or Ford. Gm or Ford. Toyota does make nice cars but when the last time you saw a cherry 1975 Toyota crusing down the highway? Medical advances with technology? Again the U.S. All space exploration, the U.S. Internet and computer technologies, again the U.S. We designed the computer, the internet and the wireless world, Japan has just cheapenend it with their tiny microprocessors that when they go out the whole component is wasted. Cheaper in the short term but more expensive in the long run. Thanks again Japan. It's the reason when you buy major things now they aren't made to last long. It didn't use to be like this until Japan came into the U.S. market. Refrigerators, Stoves, Air Conditioning units, etc. all use to be made to last much longer than they do nowdays. The world has been forced to sell and produce cheaper inferior products because of Japan.

I am growing sick of all things Japan. Their technology makes disposable products which is why T.V.s aren't meant to last 10 years anymore, ask any T.V. repairman. Thanks Japan and another reason you never see cherry 1970's Toyota's cruising down the highway. They cheapen everything that is designed elsewhere with superior technology.

Help me understand what makes them more technologically advanced and don't just say it show me.
Rate this post positively

Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 AM

521 posts, read 1,389,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
I think the most advanced country in technology is USA. and I don't think Japan can compete. Actually i see the japan as much as developped about advanced technologies at the same level than countries such Germany and France. Actually, I'd say in some fileds Germany and France are more advanced than Japan.
Hello Caseras can't help but ask what is so advanced about France in terms of technology? Where do you hail from?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,563,805 times
I guess you just have to go there and see it. It just feels like a more technologically developed country. They have a rail system that actually functions (with trains that can go 200 mph). Their subways are clean and the stations look modern. Most of the cars on the road look new, and you don't see too many junkers like over here.

They have a lot more gadgets than we do. Everything from cellphones that people can watch TV on to toilets that warm your seat up.

Don't get me wrong, the USA definitely has an edge with military power, however I'm talking about everyday type technology. In that sense I think Japan is ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post
Whatever? Has Japan been to the Moon? to Mars? Who makes the best jets in the world? The best Battleships in the world? What military has the most techologically advanced weapons in the world? Sony vs Apple? Apple anyday.
John Deere vs who knows, they haven't been able to produce a product that actually compares to Deere. Harley vs. Honda? Harley. Honda trucks vs GM or Ford. Gm or Ford. Toyota does make nice cars but when the last time you saw a cherry 1975 Toyota crusing down the highway? Medical advances with technology? Again the U.S. All space exploration, the U.S. Internet and computer technologies, again the U.S. We designed the computer, the internet and the wireless world, Japan has just cheapenend it with their tiny microprocessors that when they go out the whole component is wasted. Cheaper in the short term but more expensive in the long run. Thanks again Japan. It's the reason when you buy major things now they aren't made to last long. It didn't use to be like this until Japan came into the U.S. market. Refrigerators, Stoves, Air Conditioning units, etc. all use to be made to last much longer than they do nowdays. The world has been forced to sell and produce cheaper inferior products because of Japan.

I am growing sick of all things Japan. Their technology makes disposable products which is why T.V.s aren't meant to last 10 years anymore, ask any T.V. repairman. Thanks Japan and another reason you never see cherry 1970's Toyota's cruising down the highway. They cheapen everything that is designed elsewhere with superior technology.

Help me understand what makes them more technologically advanced and don't just say it show me.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:22 AM

286 posts, read 1,349,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Hello Caseras can't help but ask what is so advanced about France in terms of technology? Where do you hail from?

I don't know maybe because of :

TGV (Alstom) our network is bigger than Japan and TGV go faster than the Shinkansen.
Nuclear power plant (Areva - leader)
Airbus (EADS)
Sanofi (Labs)
Thomson (TV, Hi fi)
Atari-Infogramme (video Games)
etc.
Actually, as for France I think I can cite more than 100 big companies whose are involved in technology and whose are among the leader in their field. I don't think I can make such a list with Japan. Maybe I'm wrong.
Of course we don't do a lot of cell phones (excepted Sagem or Alcatel Lucent) but as for the technology very advanced France and Germany are the most of the time more present in these field than Japan, that's the reason why I said that Germany and France were as much as Japan technologically advanced countries.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM

2,257 posts, read 3,140,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffradick View Post

We may have designed the wireless technology, yet we still can't make a decent cell phone call from a subway. Ask anyone who've tried to make a phone call while on a subway in NYC and they'll tell you the same. When I was in Hongkong, I could always make smooth cell phone calls from any subway without having to worry about drop calls.

Don't even get me started about American rail system and technology!

Regarding not seeing older Japanese cars on the road, that has nothing to do with the car quality, but everything to do with America's consumerism which doesn't stick with one car longer than absolutely necessary.

By the end of the day, all the brands you mentioned (Apple vs Sony, American cars vs Japanese cars, etc), it's all about personal preference.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,788,424 times
Of course, the US is the most advanced. I know many people hate to admit it but the defense budget normally comes back to the consumers with technology explored by defense contractors. But I wish we would spend an equal amount in space research. If we did we would probably be eons ahead of everyone else.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 PM

31 posts, read 116,490 times
Having been to Japan, I didn't think it was as advanced that is typically thought. The only thing that I felt they were superior in was their metro system which had a max delay of 2 seconds if any.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 PM

48,508 posts, read 88,668,363 times
And you best be on the yellow line when it arrives and on the trian when it leaves.Talk about a crush.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:26 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,370,676 times
Britain is one of the more backward countries of Europe. Anything else said is dishonest. The country is in many ways third world standard. It's not even comparable to Germany. Anyone with eyes and who has travelled can tell you that. The reason it's this way is probably a combination of having industrialised early, conservatism, and it would cost a lot to keep up with the rest.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,389,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Britain is one of the more backward countries of Europe. Anything else said is dishonest. The country is in many ways third world standard. It's not even comparable to Germany. Anyone with eyes and who has travelled can tell you that. The reason it's this way is probably a combination of having industrialised early, conservatism, and it would cost a lot to keep up with the rest.
You are quite right. Nothing of any worth has ever come from the UK. I think they are the least inventive people in the world and little better than most of the third world. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.